LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Organ Models  (Read 9471 times)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

Re: Organ Models
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
M...thats funny, part of my collection used to be the  X-77(which again is a glorified model-H....model H,B3000,and X77 pretty much have the same inerts...and sound!!)...I was not comfy putting one in a church, so I kept them at home, but my wife likes them as furniture pieces.  i currently dont have any hammonds at our home, but she's been on me to find an X-77 to match her living room decor....as for the leslie, the x-77L, i found it useful for parts for my tube leslies

http://www.myplanet.net/x77dude/photos.html

I guess those organs make better furniture than they do instruments.  I often play at one of our sister churches and they have a B3000.  I loathe playing it but I have to make the most of it.   :D
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:11 AM »
M...thats funny, part of my collection used to be the  X-77(which again is a glorified model-H....model H,B3000,and X77 pretty much have the same inerts...and sound!!)...I was not comfy putting one in a church, so I kept them at home, but my wife likes them as furniture pieces.  i currently dont have any hammonds at our home, but she's been on me to find an X-77 to match her living room decor....as for the leslie, the x-77L, i found it useful for parts for my tube leslies

http://www.myplanet.net/x77dude/photos.html

I guess those organs make better furniture than they do instruments.  I often play at one of our sister churches and they have a B3000.  I loathe playing it but I have to make the most of it.   :D

I like the design of the x66. Very 70's retro.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »
I like the design of the x66. Very 70's retro.

I'm sure Mr Hammond probaby ran to the kitchen to get a knife when he saw them for the first time.   ;)

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
I wanna play the organ. That is a beautiful looking instrument.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »
I've heard the X-66/X-77. It's a very different beast from the infamous Hammond tone. It's definitely not for the gospel/jazz/blues application.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »
I've heard the X-66/X-77. It's a very different beast from the infamous Hammond tone. It's definitely not for the gospel/jazz/blues application.
How about at a baseball game?    :D

Offline GSM

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »

I'm not a fan of the x-77, it just doesn't have the depth, I really didnt even like it as a practice organ because of the light keys(like a spinet).....x-66 is one of the few, that I didnt own, ....but from what I understand, it is meatier and a much better organ than the x-77...I do remember seeing on TV a few times Jimmy McGriff using the X66 in concert but if I remember, he has 147 connected(probably custom)

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »
Believe it or not;think the x66 or 77 was on a top 40 in the 70's-why can't we live together or something like that,just a organ(not a B but Hammond),a drum machine,and vocals.Had an x77,didn't like ANYTHING about it-the keys just felt crappy,sounded worse.The black and chrome was kool;actually used those pedals and bench with my B3-high gloss black(and my footswitch Marcus ha ha )Is that B3000 that bad too?

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
The black and chrome was kool;actually used those pedals and bench with my B3-high gloss black(and my footswitch Marcus ha ha )Is that B3000 that bad too?
Doc you and your footswitch.  ;D  The B3000 is horrible to me.  Whenever I have to play it, I have this urge to break into "Take me out to the ball game"   :D

Offline boogiesibley

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
I play a C3 at my church, but I don't have an organ at home. One day I hope to have either a C3 or a B3. Right now I'm just using the organ sounds on my keyboard. I also hope I get the chance to play a B3 one day.  :)

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
One day I hope to have either a C3 or a B3. Right now I'm just using the organ sounds on my keyboard. I also hope I get the chance to play a B3 one day.  :)

Don't discount the earlier -V or -2 series Hammonds. I've had my Hammond CV for over 3 weeks now and love it. Many people don't realize that you can get the infamous "B3 sound" from the earlier models because they're virtually identical, aside from no percussion and the -V series doesn't have split vibrato/chorus.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
aside from no percussion and the -V series doesn't have split vibrato/chorus.

And the ratchet drawbars.

And i believe that the keys are different on the CV, they didnt feel as rounded  as the newer ones. I'd rather just shell out the money and get a fully loaded organ

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »
Don't discount the earlier -V or -2 series Hammonds. I've had my Hammond CV for over 3 weeks now and love it. Many people don't realize that you can get the infamous "B3 sound" from the earlier models because they're virtually identical, aside from no percussion and the -V series doesn't have split vibrato/chorus.
Good points.  I've often heard that a CV has more bite(Could be the preamp)  Since most gospel players don't use percussion, that opens up the number of options.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2008, 11:50:14 AM »

And the ratchet drawbars.

And i believe that the keys are different on the CV, they didnt feel as rounded  as the newer ones. I'd rather just shell out the money and get a fully loaded organ

You think you've got everything and then you realize you've missed the biggest con of all. IMHO, the ratcheted drawbars are the only true disadvantage. But all is not lost. Smooth Move Products www.smoothdrawbars.com designed a kit to convert those old drawbars to smooth style. The kit is $299 or you can exchange your old drawbar set for an already converted set for $499. I'd rather save myself a $100 and do the work myself. It didn't look difficult at all. Soldering is required regardless of which option you choose.

Early post-war BV's and CV's had sharp edged keys. Later -V's had smooth edged keys. My CV just so happens to be an early 1945 model so it does have the sharp edged keys. Honestly they are not near as bad as they sound. The key action is the same.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:54 AM »
I love the a 100 its light compared to the other models and still is a beast i think the keys feel better on the a100 than the b3 IMO!
keyz 4 life

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
I play a B3 at the church and I currently am looking for an organ. But I'm a poor college kid. I really want a A-105. If anyone feels led of God to give me one, open up the floodgates of heaven and LET IT RAIN!!! ;)
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »
I play a B3 at the church and I currently am looking for an organ. But I'm a poor college kid. I really want a A-105. If anyone feels led of God to give me one, open up the floodgates of heaven and LET IT RAIN!!! ;)

An A-105 Would be my first choice. And I'm also open to donations :D

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »
I think an A-105 is a great choice. It's basically a C3 cabinet with internal speakers.

I pray you get a Hammond. I finally have my first Hammond after a few years of waiting and praying for one. It's a model CV, which is essentially a very early version of what became the C3. I love it. Has a real nice tone and bass response in phenomenal. As mentioned already in this thread, the CV doesn't have split vibrato/chorus (all on or all off), ratcheted drawbars, and no percussion. Drawbars can be converted for about $300 and TrekII percussion can be added.

I think your best bet is to find a Hammond locally. Ebay is nice and that's how I found my CV, however, shipping rates are killer if you can't pick it up yourself. I spent around $500 just on shipping and it's probably going to be more than that now with the rising fuel costs this summer.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2008, 01:33:44 AM »
now with the rising fuel costs this summer.

gas prices have been going down in NY. I think like 2 cents a day.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2008, 01:44:51 AM »
gas prices have been going down in NY. I think like 2 cents a day.

Yeah, us too. Gasoline is currently $3.58 I believe, here. About a month ago is was like $3.80 something. I haven't paid attention to diesel though so I don't know if it's gone down recently or not. It's been over $4 for a while now...it was about $3.89 when I paid for the shipping surcharges and then went up immediately following that. It took the seller about 2 1/2 weeks to get it shipped. By the time they got it to the carrier, their rates had gone up so much, they had to find another carrier. From what I was told by them, in the end, they paid substantially more for shipping than what was originally quoted. I think they may have actually lost money over the sale of the organ because of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up