LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roscoe out... Callowhill in! (New bass content w/ pics)  (Read 23598 times)

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

Re: Roscoe out... Callowhill in! (New bass content w/ pics)
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »
Cool.  Let's know how practice went.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline ptidwell

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    • http://www.inspiredwordministries.org

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:03 PM »
Mike,
Congrats that one is absolutely stunning!
Hope to get a full report on it in the not to distant future.

Enjoy!
Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
http://lophatcabinets.com

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »
Choir rehearsal turned into a choir meeting with the pastor. I suck when it comes to reviewing gear and describing tonal details, but in the little time that I've had to actually play it, I can say that this axe is STRONG.

It's VERY well balanced physically and tonally. I've sometimes had a tough time on my previous basses finding a good balance across all strings because the B was almost TOO strong. So far with the J6, the B can punch a hole in your chest, but doesn't completely dominate the bass in relation to the other strings (with active pre set flat).

Playability is a breeze. The neck is just what I hoped for, and is pretty much like the neck on my Roscoe's. Tim set the action super low for me and it is soooooo easy to play. With my Comfort Strapp, it's practically weightless with no neck dive.  Strap locks included!

I'll be taking it on the road for a fellowship servie tonight, so I'll report more later.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
That's a good review to me!!  I'm definitely looking for a usuable B that is just like an extension of the other strings - not too boomy, but tight and punchy. 

Did you get the 2-7 spacing or 70's? 

You're probably in the thick of the service.  I know I'll be logging in to see how that went.

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
It has the 2-7 spacing.

This thing is sooooo easy to play!  I think it's a combination of the 34" scale or what, and the low-to-the-flo' action.  Yesterday we did extended shout runs that would have had my left wrist tightening up any other time, but not with the J6.  It took me a while before I looked down at my hands like whoa... still going strong with no sign of weakening. 

So yeah, my hands are wrists are loving the J6.

My Roscoe 6'er was relatively heavy (mainly because of the mahogany body), and I'd find myself having to stretch out a bit after a while of playing while standing.  That's one thing I missed from my Roscoe 5'er that the 6'er lacked.  Sitting or standing, the J6 is ultra-light and practically floats on the strap.

So yeah, my back is loving the J6.

Tone, tone, tone.  Every time I play this thing and get more accustomed to the Nordie/Aggie setup, I dig it more and more and more.  Today I set the LMII completely flat as usual, but with the VLE and VPF completely off.  Didn't need it.  Kept the Nordies dead even, raised the mids a hair, and I was good to go.  This bass completely trashes the idea that an ultra-lightweight bass can't hang with dense wood bodied basses.  The only difference is that it doesn't ring out as loud unplugged compaired to the heavies... but if that's what I wanted, I'd buy an acoustic.  Duh.

I've never owned or played a passive bass before, so I expected to lose a little something if I switched to passive mode.  No sir!  I pulled it up with the tone completely rolled off, and I lost NOTHING but a hair of gain.

So yeah... my ears are loving the J6.

That's all for now, I gotta pack up and hit the road to DFW.  I'm taking my gear with me, so perhaps I'll post a clip of my crappy playing that doesn't do this bass justice, lol!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2008, 05:42:43 PM »
did I not tell you that CallowHill Basses are the business!!!!

I swear If I could relocate tim to Chicago I would with the quickness and let him live with me..LOL
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
I must say that the Lord is opening doors for me. I look forward to joining the Callowhill family real soon.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
Man, just great news and exactly what I wanted to hear...well, other than "your bass is ready".  ;D

One big growing, happy family.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »
Have you set it down long enough to snap a few pix?

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Nope, lol!  I'm back in Austin now so I'll break out the cam and take a few.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up