LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel is Gospel NOT JAZZ ETC  (Read 8815 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Gospel is Gospel NOT JAZZ ETC
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:33 AM »
I wholeheartedly concur!

It's only the Polka books that needs to be burned!

All you bible scholars out there, help me out.

Ain't it written in the Old Testament somewhere, when God said something to the effect of:

"Thy Lord hath created the world, and all that it is. There is no thing that thy Lord did not create, except Polka".

Am i right? 8)

You are DEAD WRONG, LOL.  Why u gotta speak agains Polka?  That's some of the best music around, ask Steve Urkel.

U cool wit me C$!!!  8)  :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
I am about to go to GMWA

and I have heard stories

GET READY.......NO, REALLY...

Offline ucja2008

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
AS LONG AS GOD IS GETTING THE GLORY! We shouldn't be worrying about it! As long as it aint R-Kelly's "I believe I Can Fly" Remake into a gospel Song (Wait that already happen), as long as it aint Chris Brown's (Take You Down)(Music too) remake into a gospel song.

We shouldnt be taking R &B/RAP music/songs turning them into gospel.

I have heard plenty of good chords/gospel songs that didnt take anything from from the world, they just got good songs! Suchas Jamal Hartwells style!

Offline seemunny

• LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2008, 01:49:24 AM »
I wholeheartedly concur!

It's only the Polka books that needs to be burned!

Umm...uh, did i say thaaat?

You are DEAD WRONG, LOL.  Why u gotta speak agains Polka?  That's some of the best music around, ask Steve Urkel.

U cool wit me C$!!!  8)  :D

T-block, now i know what you learned all that good theory on - some cool, neat, funky, fly fresh Accordian!

The Yamaha NTM-500 (no transpose model) lol 8)

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2008, 07:06:02 AM »

GET READY.......NO, REALLY...
man! Never been, but went to a baby p/w conference here in the city. It was only bearable because I stayed at home, and not the host hotel.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2008, 04:04:45 AM »
well thanks for the heads up no pun intended

I will just stay prayed up

and keep my eyes on the learning
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline Aundre

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2008, 01:19:04 AM »
It depends on the operator or musician playing the music. The intent they are playing it, what is being sung also is a reason. Gospel is bringing the word through any instrument of praise. Everyone has a unique style and way to let the music come across. A lot of people talked about Ray Charles when he brought Gospel and Jazz to world ;)

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:16 AM »
It depends on the operator or musician playing the music. The intent they are playing it, what is being sung also is a reason. Gospel is bringing the word through any instrument of praise. Everyone has a unique style and way to let the music come across. A lot of people talked about Ray Charles when he brought Gospel and Jazz to world ;)

There it is 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »
I was watching an interview of Herbie Hancock and he was describing Jazz as mostly being about playing in the moment.  There are what we like to think of as Jazz progressions and melodies but really it's about playing what you feel. 
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »

that is an overlooked point

the fact that the gospel message was inclusionary
remember Christ was jewish
and the gentiles were a sinful Godless people

but they were granted access to the tree of life

the music should be inclusionary as well

to reach those that do not know God

that is really the best argument of all

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
I would not be to hasty to chop down the Jazz tree...

Music is always growing.  It never stops evolving.  The first church music started out as Gregorian Chants and Organums.  It could be said that the true music for God's people involve choirs of castratas and young boys...  Or maybe, we can look toward Tibet at the chanting there.  We assume that God only hears the music produced in our churches, after all we are the only ones that could possibly have the answers...

What about the poor South American Churches that are not singing either Jazz or Gospel? or the non-gospel listening folks that like something different?   

I have heard praises sung unto The Lord via jazz, gospel, classical, bluegrass, country, rock, rap, heavy metal, funk, punk, acoustic, chant, poetry, dance, theater...  Does God hear one praise over another or is it our own PRIDE and EGO that determines that we are the only ones that can have the straight path to God's ears?

I play jazz.  My praise to God is filled with Jazz based nuances.  My heart and my entire being goes into my worship, yet it is jazz...  Explain to me without sounding ignorant how God will cast worship from the heart away in any form.

Gospel IS jazz - It uses syncopation.  It uses jazz theory.  It uses jazz bass lines, and the choir parts are arranged in basic jazz block chords.  THE WORD that is sung is Praise, the music behind the Praise is Gospel, but the roots under the tree that you want to burn or destroy are jazz...  Blues, Jazz, Gospel... They come from suffering and pain and the desire to find a voice.  If you shun one you might as well erase a major part of American Black History.  How you represent is what matters.  If you do not use all the tools at your disposal you show ignorance...  It is like saying using driving cars is evil or using power tools is evil so you only use hand tools or walk wherever you go...  You have to put things in context.

I come here to learn gospel music...  In turn I come here to teach people jazz.  Why, if it is so evil?  Because they are connected.  The more music one has in the vocabulary, the better musician they become.  You do not have to run out and play in a halfway house just because you know some flashy jazz chords...  That is ridiculous...

Use what you learn on either side to glorify GOD.  Use what you learn to bring in people that are not normally church goers and help them glorify God...  Use new skills to open the church doors to people other than those you are accustomed to...  Aren't we supposed to be shepherds?  It is so easy to play to a congregation of friendlies...  How about going outside of the box?   Would you survive?  Are you spreading the word or simply stamping on the ground where you stand?

Be brave, be bold...  Don't fear the dark.  Remember we are God's children...

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:18 PM »
I would not be to hasty to chop down the Jazz tree...

Music is always growing.  It never stops evolving.  The first church music started out as Gregorian Chants and Organums.  It could be said that the true music for God's people involve choirs of castratas and young boys...  Or maybe, we can look toward Tibet at the chanting there.  We assume that God only hears the music produced in our churches, after all we are the only ones that could possibly have the answers...

What about the poor South American Churches that are not singing either Jazz or Gospel? or the non-gospel listening folks that like something different?   

I have heard praises sung unto The Lord via jazz, gospel, classical, bluegrass, country, rock, rap, heavy metal, funk, punk, acoustic, chant, poetry, dance, theater...  Does God hear one praise over another or is it our own PRIDE and EGO that determines that we are the only ones that can have the straight path to God's ears?

I play jazz.  My praise to God is filled with Jazz based nuances.  My heart and my entire being goes into my worship, yet it is jazz...  Explain to me without sounding ignorant how God will cast worship from the heart away in any form.

Gospel IS jazz - It uses syncopation.  It uses jazz theory.  It uses jazz bass lines, and the choir parts are arranged in basic jazz block chords.  THE WORD that is sung is Praise, the music behind the Praise is Gospel, but the roots under the tree that you want to burn or destroy are jazz...  Blues, Jazz, Gospel... They come from suffering and pain and the desire to find a voice.  If you shun one you might as well erase a major part of American Black History.  How you represent is what matters.  If you do not use all the tools at your disposal you show ignorance...  It is like saying using driving cars is evil or using power tools is evil so you only use hand tools or walk wherever you go...  You have to put things in context.

I come here to learn gospel music...  In turn I come here to teach people jazz.  Why, if it is so evil?  Because they are connected.  The more music one has in the vocabulary, the better musician they become.  You do not have to run out and play in a halfway house just because you know some flashy jazz chords...  That is ridiculous...

Use what you learn on either side to glorify GOD.  Use what you learn to bring in people that are not normally church goers and help them glorify God...  Use new skills to open the church doors to people other than those you are accustomed to...  Aren't we supposed to be shepherds?  It is so easy to play to a congregation of friendlies...  How about going outside of the box?   Would you survive?  Are you spreading the word or simply stamping on the ground where you stand?

Be brave, be bold...  Don't fear the dark.  Remember we are God's children...

I cant believe you went all the way back to gregorian chants and then to tibet

the poor little children in Sourth america

and castrated men

wow

now all that being said about the syncopations and the gospel being jazz

i will loosely agree
because gospel does have its own theories although it shares a lot with jazz

they differ markedly

which is why you as a jazz musician come here to learn gospel

but all that said
I will cosign that we should learn all we can

and no I dont think that the earnest and fervant prayer and praise of anyone is ignored by god

however we still need to be aware of where a thing comes from before we bring that to God

I dont think there can be an argument there.

my tree analogy by the way was a way of saying that like the gentiles can be grafted onto the tree of life so to can jazz be grafted or has been

but remember there are spirits present in music

coming from the author

look at the song gloomy sunday

and how many people committed suicide over that song so many that the song was banned

would I want to play that chord progression and melodic line
during alter call?

or even a memorial service?

we must remember satan was cast out of heaven he was the chief musician
he would want to infiltrate where he can

if we are not aware of where a thing comes from we in our ignorance may b doing more harm than good.

I loved your post wolman and I dont argue with you I am on your side just asking you and everyone else to look at the history of your artists the music the period the intent
of all the music you bring into your church

watch as well as play  i mean pray

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »
you know when you go to battle you have to go to battle :o)

hehehe....

I agree with what you are saying as well.  You have to know what is in your heart when you are playing.  That is regardless of whether or not you are playing jazz or gospel...  I imagine we have just as many fakers and 'performers' in the choir lofts and instrument areas as we do out in the secular world.  We like to think that the music 'defines us, somehow makes us clean and above all the dirt and grime, but the higher you aspire the further you have to fall...

I think that should you have and hold your Faith for God tightly around your heart, it won't matter what sort of palpitations come out of your chosen instrument.  God created everything and therefore it is all good to Him.  We just have to learn to keep our Faith in all things we do and try to not allow Satan to widen any cracks we may have in our own broken souls...

I thank you for responding the way you did and for realizing that I am as passionate about my style of music as you are about yours...  Be careful because I could always bring out the big guns and start talking Polkas....

W
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up