LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QUESTIONS About Scale Syllabus  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member
  • My dog Bear (125lbs of Luv)
    • Wolfram a/k/a Don Zlaty

QUESTIONS About Scale Syllabus
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:49:12 AM »
I wanted to keep the scale thread clean.  If you have comments or questions about the scales, place them here.

:D

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: QUESTIONS About Scale Syllabus
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Which scales other than the whole tone, major, pentatonics, minor and blues can one use to improvise over jazz pieces & how would they be applied.

For instance, if doing 2-5's , utilising the major 7th & then minor 7th for each root around a circle of 4ths, how could one spice up their circle?
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
http://www.sheetmusicmegastore.com/products/128028S/78/details.html

This link will take you to a book with answers to every scale possibility under the sun.   John Coltrane would play through this book for hours training his ear to hear subtle difference in tonal centers.  You can go on and on with different variations on the afore mentioned scaled.  The scales I mentioned are simply sure winners.  They are tested and true.  As with any creative form, you can use whatever sound good to your own ear. 

W

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »
http://www.sheetmusicmegastore.com/products/128028S/78/details.html

This link will take you to a book with answers to every scale possibility under the sun.   John Coltrane would play through this book for hours training his ear to hear subtle difference in tonal centers.  You can go on and on with different variations on the afore mentioned scaled.  The scales I mentioned are simply sure winners.  They are tested and true.  As with any creative form, you can use whatever sound good to your own ear. 

W

Is there another book that may be geared more for beginners?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Wolfram

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
pretty much everything you will learn from those books has been broken sown for you in that scale syllabus I wrote out for you.  Basically a chord somewhat dictates whether what quality of scale (major or minor or altered) you will be playing over it.  The extensions and alterations to the chord tell you what changes in the scale need to be made.  For example a #11 scale leads you to a major scale with a sharp four.  This is also known as a Lydian scale.

If you want books that break it down slower, you are looking at taking a basic theory course at a local college level.  I will try to google something for you but they will all assume that you are at a high level of theory knowledge in jazz if you want to start playing with these chords.

W

Rjthakid

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
Thanks for that Scale Syllabus.

That's going to help my playing tremendously

Offline davidenoch

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:43:10 PM »
If you search the google books engine some authors have snippets or their entire book readily available...I saw this book based on your recommendation....pretty advance stuff!!!

http://books.google.com/books?id=Crjf9mltrkcC&pg=PA130&dq=THESAURUS+OF+SCALES+%26+MELODIC+PATTERNS&as_brr=3&ei=xf54SqCtLYr0NfSP9YoN#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
I have had the Slonimsky book for years. I have Kaliedophone by Joseph Schillinger also. I like to look at the Slonimsky and sight sing the exercises slowly. It has in all probablility every possible succession of tones. It is an admirable feat of mental gymnastics. All I am interested in the sound of the intervals and their relationships to each other. When completed it can be turned upside down and read backwards. I like minor 2nds, Major 2nds and minor thirds the most. They are fascinating to hear and make.

Happy Easter.
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up