LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Learning To Play  (Read 1844 times)

Offline spenceh4

• LGM Member

Just Learning To Play
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
I'm just learning to play the guitar and I'm hoping that someone would give me some advice on where to go on the internet or by some other means to learn how to play.

Offline lilBB

• LGM Member

Re: Just Learning To Play
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
jlynn -

maybe we should mimic the drum room and make a sticky that contains the majorly helpful previous posts about learning to play?

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
here is a start ;D

BEGINNER GUITAR VIDEO!

Offline Jordan Rivers

• LGM Member
  • Jordan Rivers, Gospel, Rock,Blues,Jazz Guitarist
    • GW Williams - The Rock,Blues ,Gospel Guitar Blog

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:29:39 AM »
Hi let me ask how old you are.........if you are over 18, maybe try a community college in the evening time.
I'll tell you the truth, I don't hold much stock in learning from lessons online.
You'll just never get what you'll need, most web sites, can't teach like a real teacher.
You need to learn to interact with other guitar players, that way you can all push each other to keep with it and to learn.
A good teacher, is so much more valuable than music books or lessons online.
                 Thanks GW Williams        ....ex-Jordan Rivers http://jordanriversguitarforum.blogspot.com/

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »
Hi let me ask how old you are.........if you are over 18, maybe try a community college in the evening time.
I'll tell you the truth, I don't hold much stock in learning from lessons online.
You'll just never get what you'll need, most web sites, can't teach like a real teacher.
You need to learn to interact with other guitar players, that way you can all push each other to keep with it and to learn.
A good teacher, is so much more valuable than music books or lessons online.
                 Thanks GW Williams        ....ex-Jordan Rivers http://jordanriversguitarforum.blogspot.com/

I agree totally. Nothing compares to a real person to interact with. Videos and books can serve their purpose, but the most efficient way is a flesh and blood person sitting across from you.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline yaana

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:00:22 AM »
Hey spenceh4,
If you want to learn guitar I think that the best going would be to get an online source.

This is our new fast-track beginner course without notes. In 30 daily lessons you?ll learn the most important chords to accompany various styles. You?ll learn the different styles

Offline skit

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 11:50:07 PM »
You are in the right place becaue you eed that encouragement. I started by playing because of a cousin and his first lesson to ask to ask God to annoint me to play for his glory. The second was to get a teacher and I learned the basics and now I am leaning more lessons by learning to play with a Keyboard player and  drummer at my church.
My suggestion would be to look at some good book like somebody told you in a ealier post. Read the posted song on this website.
My last question are you asking us to maybe post a few quick lessons typ:
Ex: 145 progression in blues in the key of A is A D E or A7 D7 E7

Offline ChrisKBand

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:44 AM »
I agree with Jordan on the lessons. Nothing can take the place of somebody sitting there and explaining and showing different things on guitar. I began playing when I was 14 and made considerable progress due to a deep background in music before picking up a guitar, but when I turned 20 I enrolled in some classes at Hinds Community College and it changed my entire perspective of the instrument. I learned classical and jazz techniques that I applied to gospel and even my blues and R&B playing. A word of advice is to listen to guitarists you like that play the styles you like and mimick them. You'd be surprised by how musch you'll learn. Remember, music is a listening art form.

Offline Clarence1

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »
Im teaching a friend of mine guitar, but he always replied , can you teach me a song titled this or that. I always replied yes, but you should learn a few basic chords. C, D, E, F, G, Am and so forth. Well he got frustrated and went to someone else that did teach him a song. Well that was about three months ago, and to this day, he tells me he wished he had took my advice. You can learn a song , but not knowing chords is the difference between swimming , or just floating. If you can,t get a teacher, go to your local music store, most of them have the books that have a DVD or CD, so you can watch and learn, or listen and follow the diagrams. .....Good luck....Practice , Practice ,Practice

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:34:25 PM »
Thanks for the vid Uriah 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up