LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line 6 Spider 75 or Fender FM 65R?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Dwalk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Line 6 Spider 75 or Fender FM 65R?
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
I'm going to be getting my 15 year old son who's been playing for about a year a new amp. These are the two I've been looking at because of my budget. Any suggestions or comments will be helpful. I don't know anything about guitar amps. I play bass. He ony has a 15 watt little Fender right now. He plays at a small church that holds about 200 people, and has a piano, drums and bass.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Be Blessed

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: Line 6 Spider 75 or Fender FM 65R?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:23 AM »
Between the two, I'd probably go with the Line 6.  Based on the two amps, I'm guessing that you budget is around $300.00 or less.  For a little more money, you could get the Crate V 18-112 (18watt, 1 X 12 tube amp - $329.99 @ Musician's Friend).  I think your son will get more out of the Crate, and don't be fooled by the relatively low 18-watt rating.  If you want to go solid state (and ther are some nice ones out there), check out the Peavey Bandit 112 (80 watts, 1 X 12 - $299.99 @ Musician's Friend).
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:21:41 AM »
What he said. If you are set on those two... Definitely the LINE 6.
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
I own the Line 6 Spider II 75 watt amp.
It's decent enough...lots of versatility and a pretty good amount of volume to be heard...but it requires tweaking. Constant tweaking. I feel like every week I'm making some change to at least one of the presets because it just doesn't sound like it did before.

Personally, I'll take a small simple tube combo over any modeling amp but that's me...

Be sure to check out the Vox Valvetronix line of amps. They're a modeler with a 12ax7 preamp tube which gives them just a bit less harshness on the gain settings, imho.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »
the key to any Line 6 product is to back way off the presence...and to understand how to tweak each individual amp model. the eq for one amp reacts much differently than another....and you can't just tweak each amp model the same way and expect good results.

(not pointed at Dave, just a Line6 observation, since I have been using their products for ovewr 10 years and have a Pod X3 and a Spider-Valve right now)

Offline Dwalk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
Thanks for all of the info and opinions.
I ordered the Line 6 today from zzounds.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up