LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SX Jazz 5  (Read 9448 times)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

SX Jazz 5
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »
Dhagler, I just placed an order for a:

I bought myself a birthday present, even though I know it will probably end up in my daughter's (aka The most beautiful bass player alive - according to her father) hands quite often, since the neck on her hand me down from Dad -- Ibanez neck is warped beyond legal limits, with no accessible truss rod.

Ahem, okay back from my rant.  I am excited, you would think I just ordered a custom pavel, or callowhill...LOL!

Dropping an Audere in Sounds awfully good to me, too!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: SX Jazz 5
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »
congrats.  Are you planning on changing the bridge to get the string spacing up from the stock 16.5mm?
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
I hadn't made many plans... but that sounds good too....:)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:28:09 PM »
Dhagler, I just placed an order for a:

I bought myself a birthday present, even though I know it will probably end up in my daughter's (aka The most beautiful bass player alive - according to her father) hands quite often, since the neck on her hand me down from Dad -- Ibanez neck is warped beyond legal limits, with no accessible truss rod.

Ahem, okay back from my rant.  I am excited, you would think I just ordered a custom pavel, or callowhill...LOL!

Dropping an Audere in Sounds awfully good to me, too!

You're going to love that bass!  If I ever decide to replace my three-tone sunburst that's what I would go with.  At less than $175 shipped you really can't go wrong.  Many people replace the pickups and I like Jeremy's suggestion to replace the bridge, just haven't gotten bold enough to try it.  I don't know much about preamps: can you put an Audere in a passive bass?

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:34:55 PM »
Good biz.  I had no idea that the stock spacing was that narrow... if I got one I'd have to change that bridge.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
You're going to love that bass!  If I ever decide to replace my three-tone sunburst that's what I would go with.  At less than $175 shipped you really can't go wrong.  Many people replace the pickups and I like Jeremy's suggestion to replace the bridge, just haven't gotten bold enough to try it.  I don't know much about preamps: can you put an Audere in a passive bass?

The preamp drops in the cavity and makes it active.. the pickups have to be passive in order for it to work..
http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm

I saw a guy with a modded one on youtube his was 4 string I believe, and it sounded really good.  It even sounded good before the modifications:
He has a video entitled: "Y Hubo Alguien - Marc Anthony (bass play along)" Sounded really good to my ears.

Yes Jeremyr, bassthumpa good call on the bridge, I was just gonna deal with the tight spacing.  I feel like a kid about to rip open a model car project.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 02:40:32 PM »
Those are sharp.  If the spacing was a little bigger, I'd have one already.  I'm curious how the new bridge would work out, since I think the pickups and board are more narrow.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
That bass looks good. I was thinking about buying a Used MIM Fender JAzz and doing the same modifications, but for that price i might just buy that SX. i do have one question!!!! Is there any way to remove that SX logo from the headstock, because I would get straight clowned if other bass players that I know saw that SX on my bass?????

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
That bass looks good. I was thinking about buying a Used MIM Fender JAzz and doing the same modifications, but for that price i might just buy that SX. i do have one question!!!! Is there any way to remove that SX logo from the headstock, because I would get straight clowned if other bass players that I know saw that SX on my bass?????
Yes, but after they played it, and then learned how little you paid for it, they would run to the nearest computer and order one. ;)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm hoping the string spacing is not that big a deal.  Its not that big a difference from my TRB1005, I don't know if the 35" vs. 34" scale will cause a big difference.

Now I am even more amped to get it to see how it will be, and at that price, I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on this one.  Dhagler how is the string spacing, for you?

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »
i have the 4 string which is actually a pretty good bass. i saw no flaws when i recieved it. i want to buy the 5 string, but i am curious whether or not it can accomodate a bridge with 19mm or at least 18mm spacing.  would love to mod one of those, the 5 string i have now is sooooo heavy, i could use a lighter axe.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »
Dhagler how is the string spacing, for you?

It's fine for me, but please bear in mind I am a relative newbie so I don't have a lot of comparative experience.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:58 AM »
It's fine for me, but please bear in mind I am a relative newbie so I don't have a lot of comparative experience.

I know what you mean.  My TRB is my first bass, and since I got used to playing it.  Everything else I've played I compare to that, because
that's what I am comfortable playing.  I think it's all relative.. newbie or not. :)

Thanks for the feedback though.

Offline carlmack7183

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Carl's Business

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:37 AM »
I think that Im going to put an Audere JZ3 preamp in my SX bass, use Bartolini Jazz pickups, a Leo Quann bridge, and of course I'll go with a higher grade of strings. It should be nice. Thanks for the idea Torch and DHagler

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 09:56:08 AM »
I think that Im going to put an Audere JZ3 preamp in my SX bass, use Bartolini Jazz pickups, a Leo Quann bridge, and of course I'll go with a higher grade of strings.

That sounds like a winner...

Do you have any specs on that Leo Quann Bridge, or a site?

My upgrades are really an after-thought....  Like alot of those folks on HGTV flip that house show.  "BASS FLIPPERS" I like the sound of that.  ;D

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »

Man, I wouldn’t worry about that.  If you can score in a pair of Keds, then nobody with any game is gonna worry about your shoes.  All the headstock gazers will be converts when hear a solid groove.
Eph 5:15-20

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:47 AM »
Man, I wouldn’t worry about that.  If you can score in a pair of Keds, then nobody with any game is gonna worry about your shoes.  All the headstock gazers will be converts when hear a solid groove.

LOL!... That's a great analogy... I'm just thinking about somebody, taking me to the rack in a pair of keds... i would be so embarassed.... You gotta fake an injury at that point... LOL!

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
Yes, but after they played it, and then learned how little you paid for it, they would run to the nearest computer and order one. ;)

Indeed.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »
...Is there any way to remove that SX logo from the headstock...

I think an SX logo will be better that no logo at all.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 02:42:09 PM »
There will always be that element of people who are extremely brand conscious.  About the basses they play, clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the foods they buy at the grocery store, etc.  At the same time, none of those folks write their bills from my checkbook.  And I don't write my bills from theirs. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up