LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SX Jazz 5  (Read 9447 times)

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

Re: SX Jazz 5
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
LOL!... That's a great analogy... I'm just thinking about somebody, taking me to the rack in a pair of keds... i would be so embarassed.... You gotta fake an injury at that point... LOL!

Right!?!
"Oh, my hamstring!!"  Or in this case; "Oh, my carpal tunnel is acting up!!"
Eph 5:15-20

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 03:23:09 PM »
Right!?!
"Oh, my hamstring!!"  Or in this case; "Oh, my carpal tunnel is acting up!!"

No doubt.... OH, LORD my big toe done fell off in my shoe, yall keep playing... I'm gone go and take care of this...

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:14:30 PM »
No doubt.... OH, LORD my big toe done fell off in my shoe, yall keep playing... I'm gone go and take care of this...

ROTFLMAO!!  (my wife heard me laughing and had to know what it was, so you got her too!!)
I just about ripped my big toenail off in a city league game, so that got me good!!  Guys were all giving me grief until I took off my sock and it look all mangled.

OR sticking with the bass game: I could play that groove you got going on the SX, but the flux capacitor on my 5'er isn't in sync with the chrome go-faster; and it's causing the diamond plated lithium crystals to exhibit vibrations that are mimicing the anti-groove.

Offline CallowHill

• LGM Member
    • CallowHill Guitars

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »
A local college student brought one of these into the shop for some tweaks the other day.  He drew the letter "u" in between the S and X on the headstock.  "What's THAT for?"

He explained he couldn't afford a Junk, so he felt a "SUX" was the next best thing.  I thought it was pretty funny.  I took off the old bridge and put a Quann on it.  I didn't see this thread until AFTER the bass left the shop, I would have measured the neck to determine max bridge ctc spacing had I known this was here.  Since I don't know - stick with the Quann because you can customize the spacing to suit your tastes without making it too wide.

I think they are a great bang for the buck.  I brand new finished SX can be bought for about what I pay for a single un-milled plank of wood for a body blank.  Tear that thing up!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
ROTFLMAO!!  (my wife heard me laughing and had to know what it was, so you got her too!!)
I just about ripped my big toenail off in a city league game, so that got me good!!  Guys were all giving me grief until I took off my sock and it look all mangled.

OR sticking with the bass game: I could play that groove you got going on the SX, but the flux capacitor on my 5'er isn't in sync with the chrome go-faster; and it's causing the diamond plated lithium crystals to exhibit vibrations that are mimicing the anti-groove.

Ouch...that toe injury sounds painful!

Man I hate when the flux capacitor messes up on my bass...  That's why I upgraded it with a Mr. Fusion. :)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 09:57:35 PM »
A local college student brought one of these into the shop for some tweaks the other day.  He drew the letter "u" in between the S and X on the headstock.  "What's THAT for?"

He explained he couldn't afford a Junk, so he felt a "SUX" was the next best thing.  I thought it was pretty funny.  I took off the old bridge and put a Quann on it.  I didn't see this thread until AFTER the bass left the shop, I would have measured the neck to determine max bridge ctc spacing had I known this was here.  Since I don't know - stick with the Quann because you can customize the spacing to suit your tastes without making it too wide.

I think they are a great bang for the buck.  I brand new finished SX can be bought for about what I pay for a single un-milled plank of wood for a body blank.  Tear that thing up!

This is what the specs say at on the site:
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 3/4"; at the 20st fret: 2 9/16 " String spacing at the nut is 3/8" and 5/8" at the 20th fret

Don't know if that means anything.

Once again Tim... you bring your wealth of wisdom to the board.  It's cool how you let your Instruments speak for themselves, and are secure enough to recommend lesser instruments...

I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Offline CallowHill

• LGM Member
    • CallowHill Guitars

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »
"This is what the specs say at on the site:
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 3/4"; at the 20st fret: 2 9/16 " String spacing at the nut is 3/8" and 5/8" at the 20th fret

Don't know if that means anything.

Once again Tim... you bring your wealth of wisdom to the board.  It's cool how you let your Instruments speak for themselves, and are secure enough to recommend lesser instruments...

I wanna be like you when I grow up. "

I just did a check on these dimensions, and 18mm ctc would be super tight to the edge of the board.  I'd probably max it out at 17mm if I had to swap out a pre-cut bridge.  Mind you, that's just a cad drawing so a real-life switch out might be a bit different.

I recommend the cheaper stuff because they work.  Not everyone can afford the type of stuff I make, and I don't think anyone should have to feel bad because the play a game in keds!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:04 AM »
Thanks Tim...

I wonder if KJ or Kobe would were these keds... :)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
hey torch, i was imagining these...

cause thats what my bass budget looks like at the moment. lol
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »

I feel ya.

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »

LOL!! I couldn't pass up a game and actually blew out a pair similar to these back in the day.  One good jump stop and it was up on my shin.   ;D

Torch7, those would be fresh nowadays with a pair of jeans.  ;)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
LOL!! I couldn't pass up a game and actually blew out a pair similar to these back in the day.  One good jump stop and it was up on my shin.   ;D

Similar experience, but in a football game...in some canvas shoes, they weren't keds though... I juked myself, right through my shoe...lol.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
yall are crazy..HAHAHA
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline jmain

• LGM Member
  • Gator Nation

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »
Similar experience, but in a football game...in some canvas shoes, they weren't keds though... I juked myself, right through my shoe...lol.

LOL!!!

Offline bassthumpa

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My blog

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »

LOL!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »
yall are crazy..HAHAHA

I know this thread has gone from gear modification, to sports, to footwear, and back... serious rabbit trails... but I always enjoy chasing rabbits...LOL!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »
yeah. hence the carrot advice on that other thread. LOL.

ok, back to the topic at hand. the SX is at www.rondomusic.com right? i went there and i only saw 4 stringers. i wanted to see the prices for a 5'ver.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »

ok, back to the topic at hand. the SX is at www.rondomusic.com right? i went there and i only saw 4 stringers. i wanted to see the prices for a 5'ver.

You have to click the 5 string tab up top, it links to the following place:

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »

That is the correct website.  There should be a tab that says "5-string" at the top of the Basses page.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html

I am thinking seriously about a Fretless Jazz 5.  I can't find a passive one for under $1000.

Offline Dwalk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »
I was thinking of getting that same Bass. In fact I was considering getting the 4 and 5 string. Let us know how it sounds and feels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up