LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: SX Jazz 5  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: SX Jazz 5
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
That bass sounded pretty decent. You are making me consider getting one and modding it myself. Slap in a Audere and some Duncan's, powerhouse then.
The Audere was dropped in earlier tonight... It took all of 30 minutes.  It definately gives it a greater range of tones.  I've only played around with it for about 10 minutes.  I'll have to update the video later this week.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
The Audere was dropped in earlier tonight... It took all of 30 minutes.  It definately gives it a greater range of tones.  I've only played around with it for about 10 minutes.  I'll have to update the video later this week.

OK, so I am a complete novice when it comes to modding a bass.  You added a pre-amp to a passive bass.

1. What are the intrinsic benefits of doing such a thing?
2. Does the once passive bass now become active and thus require a battery?

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2008, 09:36:26 PM »
OK, so I am a complete novice when it comes to modding a bass.  You added a pre-amp to a passive bass.

1. What are the intrinsic benefits of doing such a thing?
2. Does the once passive bass now become active and thus require a battery?

1. more tonal range
2. yes, the preamp is active, thus making the bass active, but the pickups are usually passive. EMG makes a set of active pickups.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline fluteminstrel

• LGM Member
  • my bass

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
which should i get i like the five string sx but iwanted a six strng the sunburst one which is the better value and which plays better thanks

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:56 AM »
1. more tonal range
2. yes, the preamp is active, thus making the bass active, but the pickups are usually passive. EMG makes a set of active pickups.

What ddwilkins said.

The Audere preamp will not work with the EMG active pickups.

I haven't had the opportunity to play my bass this evening, so I haven't been able to see how it performs with the new preamp... no turning back now, though... I am committed to the active sound.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:03 AM »
which should i get i like the five string sx but iwanted a six strng the sunburst one which is the better value and which plays better thanks
I'm not sure fluteminstrel.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:16 AM »
What ddwilkins said.

The Audere preamp will not work with the EMG active pickups.

I forgot to mention that part.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:14 AM »
I forgot to mention that part.

;D

Sorry it was late last night, I just looked at what I wrote and how it sounds in the context.

I meant to say... Ditto to what ddwilkins said.  and to add that It doesn't work with active pickup....  :D

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
i think now they provide Optional coupling caps  to facilitate active pickups.   have you decided whether or not to put a wider bridge on the sx ?   i really want to know if the neck is wide enough for 18mm spacing.  thanks

peace

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »
i think now they provide Optional coupling caps  to facilitate active pickups.   have you decided whether or not to put a wider bridge on the sx ?   i really want to know if the neck is wide enough for 18mm spacing.  thanks

peace

I don't think I will, it's fine for me as is.

They may have adjusted it for the active pickups, but the site call the EMG active pickups by name, as one that doesn't work.

Offline dremy2006

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Buckeye burl Hand-made......
    • DR Custom Basses

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2008, 03:01:02 PM »
GET YOU AH.. HIPSHOT BRIDGE.. TIGHT WORK...

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3
Allowing the Creator To use His Creation To Create for you.....

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
My main concern is the action and the feel... I once purchased a Douglas Bass on rondo site, the sound was really good and growly but was unplayable with the action being so high, i even but a business card under the neck and still wasn't satisfied..

So i sold it for $60, a $100 loss for me...

So with the jazz bass i'm hearing good reviews:  i have a choice of buying  Fender MIM jazz or start out with a small investment with the SX.. i like the fact that the swamp ash has a natural look and the maple neck gives it a good bite and growl...

How would you feel of getting the MIM Jazz or SX?

I'm sure this question has been posted before.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »
I own one of each, and I would say it would depend on:

(1) how much you want to spend.  MIM Fenders can be had for around $300, the SX for around $170.

(2) how much you plan to mod.  Neither of mine is, at least for the moment.  From what I have read, you have better success finding parts for Fenders, and you have to do less drilling, etc., to make things fit properly.  Even something as simple as a pickguard would require extra holes on an SX.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »
I own one of each, and I would say it would depend on:

(1) how much you want to spend.  MIM Fenders can be had for around $300, the SX for around $170.

(2) how much you plan to mod.  Neither of mine is, at least for the moment.  From what I have read, you have better success finding parts for Fenders, and you have to do less drilling, etc., to make things fit properly.  Even something as simple as a pickguard would require extra holes on an SX.

I don't mind spending for a used MIM Fender, also i might even do the american fender but i'm only going to do that for a 5 string... i can also make monthly payments at www.americanmusical.com which is a good deal if you don't have all the funds up front.

I guess what i'm comparing too. To get a fender with a maple neck and swamp ash, i would have to get an American, but for only $170 bucks, i wonder if this quality is as good as the MIM Fenders... 

I don't mind spending if the quality is there. IF the SX basses are really made for beginner basses then i probably will pass. hmm. not sure, so confusing :(

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2008, 05:06:34 PM »
I don't mind spending for a used MIM Fender, also i might even do the american fender but i'm only going to do that for a 5 string... i can also make monthly payments at www.americanmusical.com which is a good deal if you don't have all the funds up front.

I guess what i'm comparing too. To get a fender with a maple neck and swamp ash, i would have to get an American, but for only $170 bucks, i wonder if this quality is as good as the MIM Fenders... 

I don't mind spending if the quality is there. IF the SX basses are really made for beginner basses then i probably will pass. hmm. not sure, so confusing :(

On mines the action is still a bit high after I adjusted the height on the saddles holding the strings with an allen wrench.  I dropped the pickups a tad bit because the string keeps hitting the magnets when I slap.  I don't slap all that often so its not an issue.  The neck seems straight to me... the string spacing is a bit narrow, but not all that noticeable to me.  If I where to take it to get professionally setup I think i would have a really nice bass. 

I know that doesn't help you decision at all..  The B-string is suprisingly responsive on it.  The stock strings are not my cup of tea either... I'm gonna throw some DR's on it soon.  If your worried about playability, it's playable in my opinion.   It may not be what you want out of the box though...  I'm satisfied with mines.

Offline dremy2006

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Buckeye burl Hand-made......
    • DR Custom Basses

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
is this Bass active or passive??
Allowing the Creator To use His Creation To Create for you.....

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »
is this Bass active or passive??

It was passive, before I installed an Audere preamp... Now it's active.

Offline RedsFan75

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2008, 09:13:39 AM »
Another diff to consider on the SX vs Fender.

The Neck. I've found that my MIM Jazz neck is a thinner profile than the SX. The SX has a different radius so it "feels" wider than the MIM.

That being said, the SX Jazz basses are really good, and if you feel like making it yours, by adding the shims and setup tweaks etc, you'll find you have a Great bass for a little money.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up