LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feeling overwhelmed  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Avrslvs

• LGM Member

feeling overwhelmed
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »
I have played the piano/keyboard since age of nine I have never had to back up a preacher or do the shouting music thing and now I feel overwhelmed sinced joining this new church with no muscian I know all eyes are on me and I do not know how to learn this stuff. Is this something learned or God given?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Re: feeling overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
They didn't have it before so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You really could play house raising type stuff and never actually play a shout run.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
Cosign! Heck I can only play CCM songs and I have (by the grace of God) raised the house and caused a shout a few times.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:02:18 AM »
I was in the same place not too long ago. If I were you I would pray, look for a teacher, go listen to musicians who play that style and bring your audio recorder with you. When you get home practice along with the recordings, (I have a bunch if you want some), I would also pick up some gospel organ dvds, let me know if you need help choosing one.

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »
Do a search for preacher chords here on LGM and look up videos on YouTube.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »
Cosign! Heck I can only play CCM songs and I have (by the grace of God) raised the house and caused a shout a few times.

wuuuuutt?! go 'head on sa'!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
I have played the piano/keyboard since age of nine I have never had to back up a preacher or do the shouting music thing and now I feel overwhelmed sinced joining this new church with no muscian I know all eyes are on me and I do not know how to learn this stuff. Is this something learned or God given?

The chords themselves are learned, but the talent or gift for music comes from God. Don't think just because someone has the gift of music that they can play anything known to man w/out practice. Every musician has to practice something in order to be able to play it correctly.

Your situation sounds like so many others that I've come across. As soon as you learn a few notes and chords, the church wants to make u the church musician and expects u to sound like a person who's been playing for years. This is so discouraging for beginning musicians that I see why some of them want to quit. It takes years (yes I said it, YEARS) before you will be even half as good as you want to be. That's with or w/out God given talent.

My advice to you is to explain to your church that you can't play everything. It will take time before you can play the style that they want to hear. In the meantime, what u can do is work on what u want to play, and slowly work that into a church service. Don't feel bad if u can't play something at the moment cuz we've all been there.

There are tons of posts on here dealing with preaching chords and shout music chords. Just do a search for it and you should find what you're looking for.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:29:47 PM »

If it makes you feel any better, I don't play it either. I think the only guy at my church that really knows how to play it is the guitarist.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
Shout music is, to me, a "feel" thing. Heck you can memorize the chords and progressions but it'll never sound smooth if you don't practice it.

Frankly I wouldn't feel stressed over it. People have unrealistic expectations of their church musicians. They want them to sound like a CD. It just isn't that easy.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

churchyreal

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
Shout music is, to me, a "feel" thing. Heck you can memorize the chords and progressions but it'll never sound smooth if you don't practice it.

Frankly I wouldn't feel stressed over it. People have unrealistic expectations of their church musicians. They want them to sound like a CD. It just isn't that easy.

Absolute COSIGN!!!

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
You didn't say how old you are now, but even from the information that you gave, I would predict that before too very long you will be playing those things.  And I wouldn't be afraid that I would be wrong.   Clearly you have the desire. You obviously have a good background in music, perhaps even a formal and properly taught background. Effort is the only missing ingredient, and you seem willing to make that. It will come.
The other posters have given good advice.  Hope it goes well,

berbie
Pages: [1]   Go Up