LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Schecter Stiletto Custom 5  (Read 7315 times)

Offline nupe15

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Schecter Stiletto Custom 5
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:40:15 PM »
Whats happening everybody.  I currently play an Ibanez SR505 bass, but I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5.  I fooled around with one at Guitar Center and liked it, but I wanted to see if any of you own one and would recommend it.  Any pros and cons would be helpful.  Thanks.

Offline dfwkeys

• LGM Member

Re: Schecter Stiletto Custom 5
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
good choice, as you can see on my pic, i'm holding one as well. 

Pros- The natural neck makes it easty to glide up and down and is really fast... There's really no fret buzz and the feel of the neck is so comfortable, if feels like an ibanez almost.  the tuners are top notch and holds in tune for days,   i through mine in a gig back and took it out and was suprised that it still stayed in tune...

Cons - in my opinion, the sound, sounds a little thin and not as deep as a passive bass like a fender, but i believe this is mostly because of the stock EMG pickups.

But that's really about it, other then that when playing live with a band, it really cuts through the mix so, there's no need to turn up mids on your amp or anything... Everytime i played with it, i receive compliments on the sound and the natural look.

If you don't like the sound being too thin, you can always change the pickups, but it'll do just fine.  check out some reviews at harmony-central.com

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:39 PM »
i own it. it's good I like it. there isnt too many cons in fact I cant think of any. the battery last a long time. I changed the battery about 4 months ago. I have 2 rehearsals a week and worship once a week.

Offline nupe15

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas.  I'll let you know when I get it.   have a good one.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »
good choice, as you can see on my pic, i'm holding one as well. 

Pros- The natural neck makes it easty to glide up and down and is really fast... There's really no fret buzz and the feel of the neck is so comfortable, if feels like an ibanez almost.  the tuners are top notch and holds in tune for days,   i through mine in a gig back and took it out and was suprised that it still stayed in tune...

Cons - in my opinion, the sound, sounds a little thin and not as deep as a passive bass like a fender, but i believe this is mostly because of the stock EMG pickups.

But that's really about it, other then that when playing live with a band, it really cuts through the mix so, there's no need to turn up mids on your amp or anything... Everytime i played with it, i receive compliments on the sound and the natural look.

If you don't like the sound being too thin, you can always change the pickups, but it'll do just fine.  check out some reviews at harmony-central.com

I agree with dfw, I have both guitars and I am glad I didn't get rid of the Ibanez. You may want to consider keeping it if you can. I use them both. I love my Schecter which I bought about 5 months ago. The finger spacing is tighter on the Schecter and the neck is narrower than the Ibanez. I have gotten used to going back and forth on either one. I am in the process of changing out my pickups from the stock EMG's and replacing them with some Barts which are on my Ibanez. It does cut through nice and has a nice slap/pop feel when your in the groove. I don't know what gauge strings you use but you may want to go with a heavier gauge if your looking for a low end sound like the Ibanez can give off. All in all I would do it again if given the choice...love them both....and for the money it's not bad
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
Correction, the Schecter spacing is close to the Ibanez SR series, I was thinking of my BTB series. I have both the BTB and SR series.
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
i replied directly to nupe15 in a personal message, but i'd like to post my reply here, just in case someone else was checking this thread out and was looking for feedback on this same issue as well.

the major part i like about it is its small string spacing, meaning the strings are closer together (if ur not familiar with basses). thats a preference for me, but some people prefer wider string spacing, so i suggest you play it and compare it to other wider spaced basses like a Fender before you buy to see whats more comfortable for you. I also like that its 24 frets, but it makes the neck a bit longer (also try before you buy). its also light as a feather.

the only thing im not liking about it is the tone. didnt bother me when i first started playing, but as my ear develops more and more i feel like its a bit thin sounding. but im going to fix that with a few mods/upgrades. But you should play it before you hear it. you might like the tone.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Dwalk

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:08 AM »
I don't own either one but have played both in the music store. Both felt great, but the Ibanez sounded better. I like the tone of basses with Bartolini pickups. I did like the finish of the Schector better.

Just an opinion.

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
I have the Studio-5, and I love it.  I've played the Custom-5 and it's also a great bass.  Schecter is definitely a quality buy for basses, but if you can afford it, keep the SR505.

I like the tighter string spacing (both the Studio and Custom have tighter spacing) because everything just seems to feel "right there."  It's a little less movement with the plucking hand but requires more practice for slap.

If you find you don't like the electronics on the Custom, a popular mod for the Schecters is to replace the EMG EQ with an Aguilar EQ.  Another popular mod is to put Bartolini pickups and EQ into the bass.  I've considered popping in an Aguilar into my bass, but I tend to be a purist and would rather buy a BTB with Barts already in it and have two basses with their own distinct flavor so I have more choice in tone.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »
If you find you don't like the electronics on the Custom, a popular mod for the Schecters is to replace the EMG EQ with an Aguilar EQ.  Another popular mod is to put Bartolini pickups and EQ into the bass.  I've considered popping in an Aguilar into my bass, but I tend to be a purist and would rather buy a BTB with Barts already in it and have two basses with their own distinct flavor so I have more choice in tone.

has anyone ever tried an Audere in a non-jazz bass? i was thinkin about droppin that one in my schecter.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
"non-jazz" your schecter is a non-jazz?

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »
"non-jazz" your schecter is a non-jazz?
It's not a Standard Jazz style bass.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »
Sorry premature on the submit button.

When most refer to jazz basses, they are refering to a Jazz Bass based off a Fender Model

Jazz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_Bass

Precision
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_Bass

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »
Dude sorry to be so blunt but I HATE THOSE!!!!!! They look great but the tone sucks!!!!! Let me put it this way I played a $200 Samick 5 string passive the other day in a music store and the tone out of that thing KILLS the Schecter Stiletto Custom 5!!! I can get a STAGG 5 String Music Man copy for $130 and the tone out of that thing too kills the Schecter Stiletto Custom 5!!!! KEEP your Ibanez they usually sound great!
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:04:31 AM »
could it be the pickups? i havent seen any other bass with those passive EMGs.

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »
could it be the pickups? i havent seen any other bass with those passive EMGs.

I have never heard a nice sounding Schecter and Ive owned and played alot of basses.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline craigory

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »
I love the bass. I play the Studio6.
I hear a couple of guys talk about a "thin" sound. What I have found (and agree w/brother) is that is will cut through the mix. I am playing through an SWR 750 with the BMax pre amp and she (the Studio 6) has all the bottom and clarity I want.
I am noticing bass players using this bass more and more in videos and I think that's pretty cool when you see pros using your gear. For me she's a keeper!

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 12:20:04 AM »
I've never heard someone in an audience say, "This groove is awesome/whack because he's playing a Fender/SX/MTD/Cort/Ibanez/MusicMan/Spector/Fodera/Callowhill/you name it..."

Get what sounds and feels right to you.

If the tone of the bass motivates you, then it'll translate into extra oophm and soul in your groove that just can't be explained in words.  That will pass on to your audience.

Did you read the SX Jazz 5 thread?  Some good advice in there.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
I've never heard someone in an audience say, "This groove is awesome/whack because he's playing a Fender/SX/MTD/Cort/Ibanez/MusicMan/Spector/Fodera/Callowhill/you name it..."

Get what sounds and feels right to you.

If the tone of the bass motivates you, then it'll translate into extra oophm and soul in your groove that just can't be explained in words.  That will pass on to your audience.

Did you read the SX Jazz 5 thread?  Some good advice in there.

Totally agree...

Offline nupe15

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 08:51:14 PM »
It's me again everybody.  Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who offered feedback on to my questions about that Schecter.  With the help of some overtime at work (courtesy of Hurrican Ike) and Guitar Center Used Gear website (where I practically stole it for $299), I was able to get it and keep the Ibanez too.  I'm really enjoying it so far. Matter of fact, I've gone through 2 sets of batteries in my Korg Pandora in 1 week from practicing so much with it.  So again, thanks to everyone for your input.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up