LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do bass players get any love  (Read 7569 times)

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

Re: Do bass players get any love
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2008, 08:00:04 PM »
The bass line is critically important.  How it gets played is sometimes less important. 

If a choir is singing "Blessed Assurance", it probably doesn't matter if the bass line is delivered from a stringed instrument or a keyed instrument.  It just needs to be there and it needs to pace the song.

If a choir is doing Hez Walker's "Lift Him Up", you'd better have a bass player and he / she had better have eaten their Wheaties that morning, because that song is a workout.

The type of music selected and the tone that the worship service is trying to set play a part in determining which instruments are emphasized and which are supporting.  The Presbyterian Church that I attend has existed for about 24 of its 30 years with an organ and a piano and the same person playing either.  The music was typically anthems sang by the choir and hymns sang by the congregation.  It worked just fine for the tone of worship that the congregation was accustomed to. 

Drums and bass were added within the past 5 or 6 years to supplement what was already there, but even moreso to drive a more energetic music ministry that adds a more contemporary sound and more emotion in the worship.  For that 1st 24 year spread, a bass player would have been nice, but not necessary (ie - a luxury).  For the direction the church is trying to move into, especially the Early Morning Worship Service, bass and drums are critical and required.

Peace,

James
No disrespect bro but that doesnt make sense to me it sounds like a double standard it should matter what song it is either you need a bass player or not
keyz 4 life

Offline organman88

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2008, 08:08:05 PM »
i meant to say shouldnt
keyz 4 life

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »
No disrespect bro but that doesnt make sense to me it sounds like a double standard it should matter what song it is either you need a bass player or not

what he's saying is that even though all song needs the bass notes, certain types of songs can get by without having a dedicated bass player. For those traditional hymns, usually the bass is playing the foundation of the chord, namely the root and also the 5th. A keyboardist/organist can handle this in their left hand (or on the foot pedals for organ) without much difficulty (its not difficult for a bass player to play this on his bass) so if there isnt a dedicated bass player, you dont feel much of a gaping hole in the music. But with more of the contemporary stuff, the bass player is more active and has much more of a visible role, which a keyboardist/organist cannot handle, or cannot do so without taking a lot from their instruments role, so without the bass player to concentrate solely tackle the role of the bass in the song, you instantly hear something missing from the music.

think of it this way. technically u dont really need anyone and u can sing the song acapella (with no music). Now with some songs u can pull that off really well and the absence of music doesnt take away from things (say u were singing an "amazing grace" solo), but other songs u will definitely be like "you need some music" (say u were trying to sing a Tye Tribbett song acapella). You'll definitely notice things missing way more in some songs than others.

hope that helps.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
The wise keyboardist LOVES the Bass....Bass is the Foundation. Where would a house be without its foundation? On shaky ground...

AMEN!
"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »
AMEN!

What car is that in your avatar?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »
Gene Hackman, in Hoosiers:  Team. Team, team, team, team, team. No one player is more important than the others.

The keyboardist, the bassist, the drummer, the vocalists, the choir, all working to the same end.

At least that's how it is supposed to be.

Offline KurzLand

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
What car is that in your avatar?

You don't know? You wouldn't believe me if I told you. It's korean made. Hyundai Tiburon.;)

Back on topic: I noticed a few weeks back that Tommy Brown played bass for a hispanic christian singer. Ah man, AWESOME bass playing!!! 8) 8) :o 8)

"Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him." -A.Huxley

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
No disrespect bro ....

None taken.  Disagreement does not = disrespect.

Quote from: floaded27

what he's saying is that even though all song needs the bass notes, certain types of songs can get by without having a dedicated bass player. For those traditional hymns, usually the bass is playing the foundation of the chord, namely the root and also the 5th. A keyboardist/organist can handle this in their left hand (or on the foot pedals for organ) without much difficulty (its not difficult for a bass player to play this on his bass) so if there isnt a dedicated bass player, you dont feel much of a gaping hole in the music. But with more of the contemporary stuff, the bass player is more active and has much more of a visible role, which a keyboardist/organist cannot handle, or cannot do so without taking a lot from their instruments role, so without the bass player to concentrate solely tackle the role of the bass in the song, you instantly hear something missing from the music.

think of it this way. technically u dont really need anyone and u can sing the song acapella (with no music). Now with some songs u can pull that off really well and the absence of music doesnt take away from things (say u were singing an "amazing grace" solo), but other songs u will definitely be like "you need some music" (say u were trying to sing a Tye Tribbett song acapella). You'll definitely notice things missing way more in some songs than others.

Floaded, you've stated my position better than I could.

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2008, 12:15:21 PM »
Floaded, you've stated my position better than I could.

just helpin a fellow brother and player out. i know u'd do the same (im pretty sure u already have several times).

Offline organman88

• LGM Member

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »
Your comparing hymnals to contemorary music hymnals are built for piano only nothing else but i agree that certain songs can go without music all hymnals can be sang by themselves because the melody is so close together the music nowadays cant because the music is more complicated and the vocals are usually spaced out check out a the song by Norman Hutchins God is up to Something you definitely cant sing that by yourself you will look stupid lol but we all are entitled to our own opinions also
keyz 4 life

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2008, 11:47:28 PM »
understood. but my church, like many others, sing both traditional songs AND contemporary gospel songs.

Offline b-champ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2009, 08:14:59 AM »
I haven't played at my Church in about 3 weeks, were approaching me last night, and grabbing me bye the collar.  Older ladies were threatening to get a switch to my legs. 

I felt the love, in my absense.  I think bass is one of those things people don't really miss till they have had it, and its gone.

This statement I found to be true!! I recently left my home church to start a ministry off with another pastor and right before I left my other pastor told me he would NEVER pay me for playing!!  After I left a month he was begging me to teach someone how to play!! haaha...lol
I go back from time to time just play and show them what they missing, but to GOD be glory cause now I get paid handsomely for my gift and appreciated!!! Hang in there and do it for LORD!! the bile says in ALL that you do, do it as unto the LORD!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up