LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much music do you do on Sundays?  (Read 1800 times)

How much music do you do on Sundays?
« on: November 02, 2004, 11:38:49 AM »
I recently became minister of music at a church that requires a lot more music than I'm used to preparing. I am curious how much music you are doing on Sundays but also what your weekly rehearsal schedules are like.

My situation:
Sundays 3 P&W songs before service; 5 choir songs during service (1 must an an anthem); and 3 hymns.
11 songs total.

Rehearsals:
Young adult choir on Monday, Adult choir and praise team on Thurs.
Choirs alternate Sundays.

We always try to have plenty of new music each week to keep people interested. This seems like a lot but is this typical now?

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 02:22:04 PM »
I am like you. I do entirely to much! This is funny you mentioned this because I feel very tired and burned out.
I think christians spend more time ministering to each other, then ministering to sinners out in the community.
I have rehearsal with the Men Chorus on Sundays alternating with the Adult Choir. On Saturdays mornings I have Youth Choir Rehearsal.  On Sunday evenings we have to go to other engagements which limits my rehearsal times.  No one want to come during the week to rehearsal. It is like you can't win either way. I am frustrated and just plain tired.
During the week I work a full-time job which requires me to stay after work for meeting. When I get home, I have to cook, and help my daughter with her homework. After that I am like really tired and don't feel like practicing. So I have to make myself practice to learn new material. So all I can say to you is do what you can. I think there is not one musician here who doesn't have these problems.
I am always running around with my head cut off like a chicken. :lol:   :lol:

I need a vacation!!
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline GloJean

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 04:02:22 PM »
I feel you both. I have praise team every other Monday, Senior Choir and Mass Choir every other Thursday, and just recently had to discontinue Youth Choir which was every other Tuesday because I don't have time. I also do approximatey 9-11 songs each week.

Is that  a lot????

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 04:39:41 PM »
Quote from: GloJean
I feel you both. I have praise team every other Monday, Senior Choir and Mass Choir every other Thursday, and just recently had to discontinue Youth Choir which was every other Tuesday because I don't have time. I also do approximatey 9-11 songs each week.

Is that  a lot????

You want to hear alot? Well here we go!!

Ist sunday (youth choir ) - rehearsal....when they feel like it without me knowing it...play organ

2nd sunday - musicians rehearsal on thursdays before the 2nd sunday, choir rehearsal that friday (young adult choir)....play organ

3rd Sunday - rehearsal on Wed before they sing (youth choir)....play drums

4th Sunday - rehearsal on Friday before they sing ("Special" choir) ....play keyboard

5th Sunday - musicians rehearsal on thursdays before the 5th sunday, choir rehearsal that friday (young adult choir)....play organ

To make matters worse i play for 4 different churches (including my church)....I really don't know why I did that...but whatever you do...don't attempt it....i get very mad at myself sometimes trying to figure out why I did that cause it's too much on my plate. songs....typical...about 10 a sunday
MERCY EN!!

Offline b3maniac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 04:41:42 PM »
I feel like we do too many songs on Sundays sometimes. Personally I think that 10 to 15 songs in one service is a bit much, but thats just my personal opinion. In our church, most of the people are worn out after all that singing and then don't want to stay and hear 15 minutes of preaching.
If you're tired, worn, drained, burn-out... then thats sure signs that you're doing too much. Preserve yourself, preserve your body! Be blessed.

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
  • Jay-R of Kingdom Revolution
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 08:51:17 AM »
What denominations you all go to? 10-15 songs? Das crazy..it sounds like a concert! I would love to do that one sunday..In my church we sing about 6 or 7 songs...Choir decides to sing wen they want to..usually on the third sunday. I want them to begin singin more tho. But im amazed at how many songs you guys sing...Is there room for worship in between the songs? In my church, sumtimes we get to only about 4 of the songs becuz we may stay on one song for a while(If the Spirit says to)  and allow worship to take place instead of rushin to go to the next song. If there is a great worship leader, I believe they will do that....Attempt to take the congregation into the Holy of Holies, the throneroom of God as the levitical priests did in the old testament in the Tabernacle. U move from praise into worship. And thats where the true blessings come into our services. Prophetic singing, prophetic messages, healing, deliverance, salvation usually takes place during the praise and worship! I believe thats where the singing should lead u to..a place of comfort release and rest so when the service is done you can TRULY say it was good to be in the house of the Lord.

"If you hear it, play it"
There's a Kingdom Revolution...Hear to Worship!

Offline GloJean

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 09:50:16 AM »
Well, I normally don't post twice but I feel that I had too. My church is in revival this week and it began last evening. We believe in getting started on time so we did. The revival preacher was late. We did praise and worship. I normally have about 3 songs prepared for praise and worship/devotions with a 4th just in case. Well because we were waiting on the minister to arrive we did 8 (EIGHT) songs. They were not short songs, the spirit was high, so I went with the spirit, but because we had about 45 minutes to fill it was like doing a concert. There also was a guest choir that sang 3 song, plus a revival theme song, and a song for offering. So in all we had a total of 13 songs for a 2hr. 15 min. service. Please don't misunderstand me service was excellent, the preacher of off the hook, and there was only praise for the praise and worship service that we had, I just now have to get songs together for tonights praise and worship. I try to do different songs each night, but I got a feeling that we will have to repeat some tonight and Thursday.

By the way there was a question about what denomination we all are, I am Baptist.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes feel burned out and overextended. Pray for me to come up with songs for the next too nights, as I will pray for us all to have strength in the Lord for this talent that he has blessed us all with.

God Bless You All!!!!

Offline chosen

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
I am very encouraged that I am also not the only one getting burned out.  The church I attend doesn't do as many songs as the above posts stated.  Max on a sunday including our offering song, and a song designed to welcome visitors, we might do eight.  I guess each church is designed differently.  Those of you who sing 10 to 15 songs per sunday, do you find yourself not being able to be attentive during the preaching?  I've done mini concerts, and I know how draining they can be.  I say God bless those musicians for hanging in there and doing what God has called you to do.
Many are called, but few are chosen

Offline raypam

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:10:47 PM »
I don't think I have ever had to do 10-15 songs for one sunday.

Our choir usually sings 3 selections within the program.
I have to play two uptempo songs for offering
A song for invitation.
A song for alter call and meditation
A morning hymn
A beneditiction song
Processional

But a lot of those songs remain the same every program.  

Currently we do not have a praise and worship team but I am working on that. :)

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 10:42:45 PM »
I'm the original poster and we are an AME ZION church.

I feel a bit burned out because there's this never ending cycle of rehearsals, special events and concerts. The leadership doesn't really get it. They don't know how much preparation is necessary to have a smooth rehearsal. (At least the way I try to do things....in EXCELLENCE.)

My problem is that the congregation is extremely demanding because they pay me well. Sometimes you wonder if it's worth it.

Yea, it's worth it. I just need to have a sit down with the pastor.

Offline chosen

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 09:02:50 AM »
I think you should continuosly be encouraged.  It's only natural to get burned out, but God will give you what you need when you need it to help you endure.
Many are called, but few are chosen

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 01:35:32 PM »
I also agree wit chall. my weekly layout hurts too.

Monday........Musician and Chior directors rehersal
Tuesday.......All Chior rehersals (sunshine,youth,adult)
Thursday......Praise & Worship Team
Friday..........Service
Saturday......Musician rehersal
Sunday.........AAHhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!(busy,busy,busy)

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 02:44:32 PM »
Whew I'm blessed! Y'all made me tired just reading that!!  I sing at my church. We have praise and worship btwn SS and service. They may do 3 songs. Then the choir does:

Opening (used  to be a processional)
Prayer
Praise and Worship (1 or 2 songs depending)
Offering
Song(s) of Praise (we've mostly been doing only one lately)
Alter call
Invitation
Closing song

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 03:41:31 PM »
At my churh we have an opening song, outline a hymn, then praise team sings about 2-3 songs, then offering, and that is usually it.  When the choir does sing they give one selection.  And when the preacher gets up to preach I play behing him.  Then the alter call and that is it.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
  • Jay-R of Kingdom Revolution
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »
Whew im gettin lazy in my church. I have to beg and plead for the musicians to practice! There's two guitars, me on keys, bass and drums and we dont practice. We had one practice all year. We sing the same songs over and over becuz the musicians dont kno new songs. Its terrible We jus got a new projector with like over a thousand songs so hopefully we can learn sum more.
There's a Kingdom Revolution...Hear to Worship!
Pages: [1]   Go Up