LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: West Coast Style  (Read 1368 times)

Offline youngstarter

• LGM Member

West Coast Style
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »
So i'm from the east coast, I was wondering because lately on here I have been seeing and hearing some posts from a couple different LGM members here talking about the differences between the east and west coast players. I was wondering if any of you west coast players can help me with some preaching/backup chords or if there are any that was posted previously could you help me with locating that link because I was unable to find any west coast preaching chords

THANKS
The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.
Malcolm X

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: West Coast Style
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »

Offline youngstarter

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Here is some audio of west coast preacher chords
http://www.learngospelmusic.com/media/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=93361&pos=-2954

Do you personally play any of these chords or know any of these chords to post here??
The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.
Malcolm X

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
you play your east coast organ buddy and we will play our west coast style!!  ;D :P

jk the preacher chords you can actually use mike bereals changes. off this link.

but idk how to tell you we pretty much do the same thing yall do. we just voice the chords different. ALLOT of rootless voicings. and alot of sneaky lil trills i wouldnt even call um runs but nothin too fancy. just practice that link and throw those changes in soem of ur preacher chords.
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
you play your east coast organ buddy and we will play our west coast style!!&nbsp; ;D :P

jk the preacher chords you can actually use mike bereals changes. off this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WtzV4iN8Og

but idk how to tell you we pretty much do the same thing yall do. we just voice the chords different. ALLOT of rootless voicings. and alot of sneaky lil trills i wouldnt even call um runs but nothin too fancy. just practice that link and throw those changes in soem of ur preacher chords.

When you say "voice the chords", what do you mean..

I do agree that the chords are basically the same. but yall play a lot less agressive and smooth and are more into soloing than the east coast guys. So its not always the chords, but how you play them

Do you personally play any of these chords or know any of these chords to post here??
Sorry, I'm not a theory guy

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »
basically you pick out a triad play that in the right hand and play the full chord in the left hand when u play right hand chords slur the third always so if ur playing this chord an Ab 13 chord i would voice it like this left hand GBbCEb/GBbEb I WOULD SLUR THE F TO THE G (I MEAN GRACE NOTE THAT) THEN IF U NOTICE THERE IS NO Ab AT ALL!!! THATS WHAT UR FEET ARE FOR! SO BASICALLY U NEEDA WORK ON VOICING THINGS DIFFERENT PLAY MORE LEFT HAND CHORDS AND YOU CAN PLAY SMALL TRIADS OR LIL SOLOING IN THE RIGHT BUT IT ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE SMOOTH JUST LISTEN TO ALOT OF WESTCOAST AND YOULL HEAR WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. GOD BLESS BROTHER
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:39:36 PM »
I'm neither of these, but the way i understand it is that the East Coast guys are more into the runs.
The West Coast guys focus on playing a specific chord (hardly any runs..maybe that 1 or 2 short bass run). Normally the RH chord will be played in different inversions, with plenty of grace notes inbetween..

If you look at most chords posted here, I'd say 90% represent West Coast style of playing.
The Mike Bereal stuff is mostly West Coast.

lets look at a simple 7-3-6 progression:

I know most West Coast guys would rather play it like this, say in DbM:

[7] C/ Bb-^Db-Eb-Gb  ^= trill/ hit note for split second.
[3] F/ A-Db-Eb-Ab
[6] Bb/ Bb-Db-F-^Gb-Ab

The trills act as grace notes in this instance.

I'm sure an East Coast guy would either play those RH chords as runs or play some runs inbetween those chords :-\

Alternatively, the guys might play the progression in tritones:

[7] C/ Bb-E
[3] F/ A-Eb
[6] Bb/ Ab-D

I think players from both coasts might play it ike this, but then the East Coast guy might do some fancy run to take him to the 5 (Ab) of Db. A West Coast guy on the other hand might play 1 or 2 passing chords to get to the 5..

That's just my 1cent..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up