LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Building with Bassksun  (Read 17765 times)

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Building "Empowered"- More Shopping!
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
8/28/08

If Jesus were sitting next to you-would you recognize Him?

Ok Time to Shop. If you can't tell; I love shopping for parts!

We need to keep this first one in budget. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at certain lower priced parts. For example, Wilkinson stuff is good. It is not Gotoh. But still very usable. It's your $$.

4 tuners, bridge, strap buttons and knobs. I get these on Ebay. I use Ebayer Southeast Music. Good prices and Fast Shipping.
Pick up. I use Bestbassgear. Tim at Callo recommended Brian and I haven't looked back. I'm a Bartolini guy:MM4CBC(Classic Bass)-$95. Shoot me a PM if you are going to shop with Bestbassgear online.
Bass Truss Rod-StewMac or LMI. You can't go wrong.
MOP Dots and fret marker-StewMac or LMI

These are my usuals. Shop around if you like.

God Is Love

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Bass Building with Bassksun
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
I used best bass gear when I upgrading my electronics in my bass. Those guys are great to work with.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2008, 11:46:35 PM »
I think it would be an awesome idea if you or someone would start a sticky thread about bass building\ modding I know most would be interested, I know I would be!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2008, 08:27:58 AM »
I think it would be an awesome idea if you or someone would start a sticky thread about bass building\ modding I know most would be interested, I know I would be!

you just posted in the very thread you asked about.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
you just posted in the very thread you asked about.

Are you for real?

lol Yea, I replied to this on my phone, which showed me this was the newest post, it wasn't until I got home until I realized how silly I am.

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
I would like to note 2 things (Sorry I didn't do this in the above posts but for some reason this forum wont let you go back and edit your own posts)

#1. Bassksun, you have got to be one of the funniest people whose posts I have read online, your little anecdotes and nuances are so funny, God has blessed you with a wonderful sense of humor.

#2. Thank God for you and your ministry and your willingness to share this with us, I have been wanting to build a bass for quite some time and have never known how. It really is a blessing what your doing.

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »
Anthym-
You are very welcome! This is a lot of fun for me.

God Bless

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »
A question. Why not build a guitar out of 1 solid piece of wood? Instead of taking 3 different kinds and gluing them together? I'm a newbie ;D

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
A question. Why not build a guitar out of 1 solid piece of wood? Instead of taking 3 different kinds and gluing them together? I'm a newbie ;D

I got a question to piggy-back the above question - When you have a bass body that's not solid but glued together in layer (sorta like plywood), is that looked at as a "cheap" bass? I pieced together a bass that had the "plywood-like" layers (I posted pics earlier in this blog) and I did a black sunburst to hide the layers of wood shown from the sides.

I was just wondering, is that along the same lines as the basses with pinstripes and wings or is this something different?

I got another one I'm kinda working on (that's on hold) that has the layered wood. I was thinking of a way to hide the sides without doing another sunburst or should that even matter?

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2008, 02:58:18 AM »
I'll try to answer both questions.

"When you have a bass body that's not solid but glued together in layer (sorta like plywood), is that looked at as a "cheap" bass? I pieced together a bass that had the "plywood-like" layers (I posted pics earlier in this blog) and I did a black sunburst to hide the layers of wood shown from the sides."
Cheap is relative. How does the bass sound? What woods did you laminate? A Black burst is a great way to hide plywood layers and looks cool too.

Now. Multi layers can present a problem which why we have "Core Wood". Layers and layers, like plywood may be too soft or not dense enough. Ideally, you want good density without being too dense, too soft and too heavy. It also has an effect on the sound. Less dense woods absorb vibration, dense woods reflect vibration. Think of a room. Solid floor, walls and windows. Sound echoes. Everything is dense. Throw a carpet, a couch and couple of pillows in the room. The echo stops. The soft stuff does not reflect sound. The same is true of your instrument. Dense woods will reflect string vibration and the pick ups...well... pick up the string vibration. The more string vibration that the pick ups get the better. Of course it can go to extremes. Ever hear a Dan Armstrong Acrylic Bass, A Kramer Aluminum Neck Bass, or even a Carbon Fiber neck? All made from dense materials. Not warm. IMHO. But some folks like it.

"I was just wondering, is that along the same lines as the basses with pinstripes and wings or is this something different?"
Yes mostly and mostly no. Yes we are attaching wings to the sides. Yes the thin pinstriping is like a form of ply laminate. No. The wings we are attaching are solid wood that adds mass to the bass. Solid wood is the obvious thing here. Adding mass is the other. The thin pinstriping is of no consequence. There is not enough of it to make a diff. But the 3+ piece laminate in the neck, thats a different story.

Dense Maple and less dense Mahogany. Good balance. The neck shouldn't need any carbon for stiffness because the grains of the woods are different and run vertically.

"A question. Why not build a guitar out of 1 solid piece of wood? Instead of taking 3 different kinds and gluing them together? I'm a newbie "

Sure why not? It's been done before. I think there are a couple "Wishbasses" that are one piece.  What a building pain! You will be carving more than cutting and shaping. What wood would you use? Itried to think of how I would make one. Maybe a solid piece of mahogany. The bass will probably end up in the +15 pd range! Heavy. Using different types of wood lets us exploit tonal qualities, various woods for different purposes and having a beautiful design.

"I got another one I'm kinda working on (that's on hold) that has the layered wood. I was thinking of a way to hide the sides without doing another sunburst or should that even matter?"

Once again, Yes and No. Yes it matters. Are the edges cool? I mean are they different types of wood of different thicknesses that may a nice pattern? If not. Then it's gonna be looking like Home Depot. Hide it!
Here's a new and old trick. When you laminate woods like that you expose the end grain which is very porous. If you try to paint it without sealing it, the pigment will absorb into the wood FASTER than the SURFACE. Leaving you with pits. Ugh! You can get a grain-filler from Stew-Mac or LMI. Or you can use shellac OR Ace Hardware Sanding Sealer (I love this stuff!). Then paint over it. You can seal off the edges and do some creative stuff. These folks at RE-Ranch http://www.reranch.com/index.htmhave paints etc. and good tutorials.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2008, 11:42:46 PM »
when i was checkin out a bass in GC today, i started noticing details that you mentioned in this tutorial that i never noticed before. So im sittin there staring at it picturing how it was put together. Good insight here. thanks bassksun.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2008, 01:47:04 AM »
when i was checkin out a bass in GC today, i started noticing details that you mentioned in this tutorial that i never noticed before. So im sittin there staring at it picturing how it was put together. Good insight here. thanks bassksun.

Always a blessing and a personal pleasure to help.
Peace

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Building "Empowered" -Wringing A Neck
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
9/4/08
2 Cor 2:14 God always causes me to Triumph!

Now that everything is all glued up nice and tight. Go to this url:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/anckpr.htm This is also known as a SCARF JOINT. 

This is a great tutorial, I'm going through Steps 1-4. I am going to change the 13 degree to 10 degrees.

Measure about 9 inches from the end of the neck lam. This is where the nut will be. Get your NECK TEMPLATE out and make sure that you have enough lumber. Draw in a 10 deg angle from the nut line

Make the cut. This is tricky stuff. I used a band saw. Sometimes I'll use a table saw. Sometimes a Japanese Wood Saw. Clean up the surfaces just as described in the tutorial.

I use a small hand plane to clean up

Check for fit.

OK evrything is schmoove. I can flip it over just like in the tutorial and start gluing. It takes about 5 clamps to keep the 2 pieces from sliding around. NOTE: Some builders actually thin this piece out and finish the headstock at this point.

After the glue sets I can set up and begin to route the trussrod channel.

Lay the trussrod so that it is about 1/2" BEHIND the nut line. Make a mark where the trussrod ends.

Draw a centerline. Route the channel. The depth is going to be something near 1/2" Depends on your truss rod You can use a Router table, a router OR the Dremel Tool setup which I like. I can always see what is going on.

Remember: As you route don't try to take out too much. Gradually remove the wood.

After about 10 passes:

Get a little caulk and put it on the ends. NOT on the thread parts. This will keep the truss from rattling aroud.

Coming along...

Peace.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:58 PM »
I got a question about gluing wood: have you ever had the wood break off at a joint that you glue together? like the headstock or wings?

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2008, 04:56:58 PM »
I got a question about gluing wood: have you ever had the wood break off at a joint that you glue together? like the headstock or wings?

No. In all honesty I found it a little scary when I made my first one. I kept thinking that I was going to over tighten or drop it and the the head or wings will would snap off. :o Then I took a good look at a butcher block and a piece of plywood. Look closely at a butcher block made from laminated woods...not going to break very easily...even the thin ones. The glue and pressure create a bond stronger than the wood itself. Thats the concept behind wings and neck lams.

Now go to HD or Lowe's or where ever. Look at a piece of plywood. Try to bend it until it breaks. It takes a lot of force! Can't do it. Same idea. Laminated woods are stronger than individual woods.

I always wondered why those karate guys never try to break laminated woods with their head...  ?/?

Offline Ken Felder

• LGM Member
  • My Wepon

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2008, 05:13:19 PM »
 I Received my top wood today.went with a flame maple that I found on  eBay @$12.00 plus shipping. My other Woods will be in tomorrow. I ordered
a hard maple/purple heart for the neck laminates,and black walnut for the body. Man I fell like a kid  on Christmas eve. javascript:void(0);
Grin

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
I Received my top wood today.went with a flame maple that I found on  eBay @$12.00 plus shipping. My other Woods will be in tomorrow. I ordered
a hard maple/purple heart for the neck laminates,and black walnut for the body. Man I fell like a kid  on Christmas eve. javascript:void(0);
Grin

I know...  ;D :D

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »
I don't mean to jump the gun in this thread but I was wondering, what do you do when it comes to your headstock decals? I couldn't make out from your pictures if you had any on your basses.

I tried making my own with packing tape - that didn't work out too well. I ended up redoing my headstock and going with some "peel & stick" letters from my local Targer store.

Offline Ken Felder

• LGM Member
  • My Wepon

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2008, 08:21:13 PM »
Bassksun what is a usual height of a bass neck in the beginning stages.
before i cut my neck lams. i want to have at least the correct measurements. thanks ken 

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2008, 11:53:10 PM »
I don't mean to jump the gun in this thread but I was wondering, what do you do when it comes to your headstock decals? I couldn't make out from your pictures if you had any on your basses.

I tried making my own with packing tape - that didn't work out too well. I ended up redoing my headstock and going with some "peel & stick" letters from my local Targer store.
Yep. I used the sticky letters from Michael's Art Supply. Found in the scrapbook aisle. They are really thin. Then sprayed with 2 coats of satin varnish.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up