LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Building with Bassksun  (Read 17426 times)

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Bass Building with Bassksun
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »
First-Praise God from whom All Blessings flow!

These are my basses I made for me. Why? Because I can! Some are more successful than others. The real dogs are not shown. Thanks to Tim at Callowhill for his encouragement and help!

I gotta testify...
I grew up with an alcoholic father. He did not want me to be a musician. I think he wanted me to play football...  ::) He would hide my borrowed basses and never give me money to buy one. In fact, all $ went to liquor (ya'll know the story). At 17 my mother bought me a 1984 Fender Precision. But drug addiction and a mismanaged life took that. In 1999 I bought a Peavey...didn't like the sound and an LTD fretless...didn't like the feel or sound. Cheopo Basses. Sooo...In 2001 my wife bought me a SX 75JB-C for our anniversary and I started modding. I couldn't stop. I got hooked. Around this time I started to pray for more direction in my life. I mean REALLY PRAY! I could feel the demon of drug addiction risin ' up. A little voice said, "Make your own bass. The one you've always wanted." I did. Including most of the necks. God is still fulfilling my life in ALL areas.

Please bear with my photos...not so good at it.

This is a newborn not finished yet.
4 string Walnut Top
Walnut/Redwood Back
Maple Neck
SD MM pup/Matching Walnut pup cover
1980 MM clone EQ

Stanley III I've redone this bass 3 times. It was my first made from just wood.
5 string
Semi Hollow
Mahogany/Maple body
Zebra wood top
MM Bartolini 5 pup/5 position switch
Aguilar OPB-1 Pre

Rickenbacker inspired...my fave for church
5 str. Fretless
Maple neck
Cocobolo fret board/MOP inlay.
Flamed Maple top
Poplar/Coco/maple body
Passive
Bart neck pup
Unknown MM replacement pup...but it sounds goood for $17!

5str Hidden Neck through Fretless
Mahogany Fretboard
Maple/Lyptus/Maple Neck
Flamed Koa top
Splated Mango Back
Delano Hybrids
Delano PreAmp

This used to be the SX 75JB-C! It is a SLAP MONSTER!
5str
Bart JB set
SD Pre Amp
Original SX neck (heh heh)
Quilted Maple Top
Ash/Maple Body

Wifey. Made this cuz I luv baby's momma.

5str Fretless
Maple/Cocobolo/Mahagony/... neck
Brazilian Rosewoon FB with maple inlay
Spalted Maple Top
Ash Body
Nordstrand MM pups
Aguilar OPB-1 Pre
Phase switches

Q Retro Gibson. Like the one I borrowed and my Dad used to hide. My brother and I used to laugh about it. So it's named after my brother. Looks great in an Alt Band setting.

4str
Ash Body
Flamed Maple cover
Maple Neck
Reverend Pups
Passive

Maria Speaking of family. My daughter asked me to make her one "in case" she wants to play when she gets older. Purple is her color. Rock and Roll Child.

4 string
Fender Allparts Precision Maple Neck
Flamed Maple Top
Quilted Maple Back
SD Basslines Precision pup
Reverend Bridge PupFlamed

Moses I EUB (My Dad's middle name.) The new direction. This is my first try at an Electric Upright Bass. So it is a "concept". Shoulda seen the congregation when I pulled this out!  ;D  Another is on the drawing board.

5str
Hollow Body
Mahogany/Maple/ Neck
Pau Ferro FB/Maple inlays
Mahogany/Poplar Body
Sitka Spruce Top
34" Bass Scale
Adjustable Ebony Bridge
K&K Big Twin Piezo Transducers
Bartolini Neck Pup
Bartolini Mag/Piezo Mixer Pre-Amp

I don't want to take up anymore space so I won't place pics of any of the others. This will give you an idea of what's up. If you have any questions and would like to learn how to make your own or Mod your under $300 bass drop me a line.

God is Love. Love Yourself.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Re: Bass Building with Bassksun
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
Uh oh! Regarding that modded SX............you just may have started your own bass modding business! That bass looks hot! I bet you'll get a ton of calls from folks wanting mods who don't want to do it themselves! You need to join and post that up over at Talkbass.com!

All your basses look marvelous! I like them all. I'm a certified Jazz bass lover and just may buy an SX for you to mod for me! You see how God works!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
Uh oh! Regarding that modded SX............you just may have started your own bass modding business! That bass looks hot! I bet you'll get a ton of calls from folks wanting mods who don't want to do it themselves! You need to join and post that up over at Talkbass.com!

All your basses look marvelous! I like them all. I'm a certified Jazz bass lover and just may buy an SX for you to mod for me! You see how God works!

I wouldn't do it overthere. Not to slam TB...I have been a member there for years. Haters abound once you get to a certain level. I stick with the Christians. And the ummm..."homeys".

LGM...NOW thats a different story...just lemme know when.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 03:14:37 PM »
Now that Stanley III is HOTTTT!!!!  :o I like that alot. I like them all but that one is HOTTT!!! :o

I may call on you to build me one. ;D

Rob
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:16:41 PM »
hey bassksun ... don't stop testifying ... that's how you continually overcome!!!

May those are some sweet lookn basses ... my eyes got stuck on the upright  ;D

stay creative!

~LadyBass

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 03:56:50 PM »
Now that Stanley III is HOTTTT!!!!  :o I like that alot. I like them all but that one is HOTTT!!! :o

I may call on you to build me one. ;D

Rob
Thank You for the comment.

Finally, it has the definitive BKS sound I envisioned 2 years ago. PTL!
Only for LGM.

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »
hey bassksun ... don't stop testifying ... that's how you continually overcome!!!

May those are some sweet lookn basses ... my eyes got stuck on the upright  ;D

stay creative!

~LadyBass
Amen.

It's smiling at you.

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
nice looking basses there buddy, i definately need some route work on one of my basses.  hope you like being bothered  ;D .

peace

Offline Ken Felder

• LGM Member
  • My Wepon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
im really instrested in learning the craft of making bass guitars. the wiffy is to sweet!
peace ken!

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
nice looking basses there buddy, i definately need some route work on one of my basses.  hope you like being bothered  ;D .

peace

LGM members OK all others NO!
GILove

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 05:38:45 PM »
im really instrested in learning the craft of making bass guitars. the wiffy is to sweet!
peace ken!

I'll put together a list of links for a sticky and maybe a tutorial on doing it the BKS way: 3 weeks from wood to varnish.

Peace

Offline timbass2882

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »
I also would like to know how to build my own bass, been trying to learn for the longest. I even got a book man that book told me nothing at all. I wasted my money I just need to know where to look.
Tbass

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
Ok. I'm starting a new bass next week. So I'll post pics AND links to other folks as well. This will be a neck-through fretless 4 "budget" bass. I'm going for exceptional sound for under $300 in materials. I'm off for 2 weeks so now is the best time.

God is good all the time...

All the time God is good!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »
I'll put together a list of links for a sticky and maybe a tutorial on doing it the BKS way: 3 weeks from wood to varnish.

Peace

3 weeks, you gots to post a sticky with materials needed and where to begin!!!! I've always wanted to try to build my own bass, with a budget. If you know how to build a singlecut, please post how. I love the love of those basses.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 09:01:31 AM »
Man, you do some good work!
I don't know much about "luthiering" but I tried my hand at it once; I found peices here and there and had to tweak them to make them fit together. I thought it turned out decent.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/before.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/during.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/after.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/after2.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/after4.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/monivince/after2-1.jpg

Since then, I accumulated enough parts for another one that I started (that I haven't worked on in a few weeks). When I get back to it, I got some paint, finish, and fretboard questions to ask.

One question, have you ever tried to convert a P-bass into a P/J-bass?

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 09:18:38 AM »

3 weeks, you gots to post a sticky with materials needed and where to begin!!!! I've always wanted to try to build my own bass, with a budget. If you know how to build a singlecut, please post how. I love the love of those basses.

I haven't done a single cut yet. They don't really move me. Definately not for the beginner though. Its an easy shift from a double-cut. Not really extra work just extra design.

Yep. There is a brother in Philly...not Tim...that is faster than that.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
I definitely down for developing patients with a build. I just have to get my hands on a single cut 6 strings. I won't be satisfied until that happens.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
I thought it turned out decent.

One question, have you ever tried to convert a P-bass into a P/J-bass?

Yes it did turn very good! I really like the colors. Is that the original pup?

PBasses are fun to work on. I think it is the best design ever...well, it IS the first design ever.

Yes the Maria is a P/J. I know my photos are bad.

Started out as a PBass found on EBay for $20. Chopped, channel, shaved, top and back $50. Purple dye and black dye $40. Reverend Basses in Detroit was selling off all of their bass stuff: $15 for the JBass Bridge pup. Bassline P pup $30. Allparts neck another EBay score new $60. Pearl Pickguard $25. Pearl top knobs $15. Black Tuners...scored for $40 :) Black bridge $25. (I have issues about expensive bridges.)  A whole bass for under $300 and I get to use the dyes again. Add $125 for an Audere or Aggie Pre-Amp and it would be treacherous. But it is a PBass. The classic sound is passive.

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 10:02:51 AM »
I definitely down for developing patients with a build. I just have to get my hands on a single cut 6 strings. I won't be satisfied until that happens.

I have a 6 string slated for around Christmas time. That is a serious and expensive build.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
Is that the original pup?

Nah, the only thing original was the body and pots. I found the neck (with tuners) at a local guitar store for $60. The items I had to buy were the pups (SD 1/4 lbs,) pick guard, knobs and bridge - all from www.victorlitz.com. This guy was the only one I found that takes the NAMM credit card; he even ordered stuff from other sites for me (Stew-Mac & Mighty Mite)

Got another question; I got and old Squier neck where someone pulled out the frets (I guess they wanted a fretless). I got some new frets to replace them but the fretboard wood is splintered on both sides of the fret slot. What can be done to fill in the wood to where the color blends with the rosewood fretboard?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up