LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Male Sopranos  (Read 6443 times)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Male Sopranos
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
Male sopranos and female tenors amaze me because they're not the norm.  I figure that their ranges are just that bangin'. 

When did these things become of an issue of "Omgosh they might be gay"?  I remember being in the car with my dad when I was younger and listening to Smokey Robinson and other guys who sung pretty high and thinking some of them were female.  (however I was too young to know what "gay" was.  I figured out Smokey was a he and not a she because, "Although she may be cute she's just a subsitute," sounded like something a guy would say)

BTW:  Would Toni Braxton count as a female tenor or is she an alto?  When I was younger I always thought she was an alto because I thought that was as low as a girl could go.  As I got older the question remained unanswered.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 05:15:52 PM »
Toni Braxton = R&B Alto/Gospel Tenor :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 05:25:13 PM »
Toni Braxton = R&B Alto/Gospel Tenor :D

lol  :D

Offline Maestro87

• LGM Member
    • Facebook Profile

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 02:08:05 AM »
Male sopranos and female tenors amaze me because they're not the norm.  I figure that their ranges are just that bangin'. 

When did these things become of an issue of "Omgosh they might be gay"?  I remember being in the car with my dad when I was younger and listening to Smokey Robinson and other guys who sung pretty high and thinking some of them were female.  (however I was too young to know what "gay" was.  I figured out Smokey was a he and not a she because, "Although she may be cute she's just a subsitute," sounded like something a guy would say)

BTW:  Would Toni Braxton count as a female tenor or is she an alto?  When I was younger I always thought she was an alto because I thought that was as low as a girl could go.  As I got older the question remained unanswered.

In a classical sense, she would be deemed a Mezzo with a strong lower register or even a rarity known as a Contralto.
"Stay Fly, Stay Fresh, God Bless"
Dameron Growe

Offline youngmusician09

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
Micah Stampley used to sing soprano at church.

Offline Fave

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
One must also take into account the spirit of the person.
Do they want to sing soprano because there more comfortable fellowshiping with the females? I have seen that in my choir. :'(

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 09:07:31 PM »
The first thing I think is, "OMGosh their range must be AMAZING!!"  Some people think it's gay.  I wonder what the think about Smokey Robinson and other males who sing with high voices.  ::)

I think it's cool.  I don't think most people think it's gay because the dude is singing soprano.  I think people think it's gay is because most of them jokers be looking gay...in my experience.

Offline silky

• LGM Member
  • at the Cross.......

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
I think it's cool.  I don't think most people think it's gay because the dude is singing soprano.  I think people think it's gay is because most of them jokers be looking gay...in my experience.

Lol.  I know what you are talking about. But, every male soprano ain't the feminine type.

....and that's where I'm getting at.  Is it a good look to have males in the soprano section during engagements/concerts/service¿

As far as how it would look having a man in a choir singing soprano, I would not worry about that.  It's the anointing and the sound that matters.  You got to use what you got, God gave it to you. 
WHEN YOU CAN'T, GOD CAN

Offline tobiustobi1

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 04:52:19 AM »
Hello all, I'm new to this forum thing...been in Music Ministry for 9 years and I just wanted to quickly reply, its simply...sing where your tessitura is. 

Someone stated earlier on in the post, usually there is a need for Tenors in the choir, so I probably would have that gentleman stay in Tenor section...but if I needed someone to get up there, let him do it from time to time but positioned in the tenor section.

Shoot I have enough problems with my Tenor section, as I have mainly Baritones.....ahhh, help me Lawd.

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »
Shoot I have enough problems with my Tenor section, as I have mainly Baritones.....ahhh, help me Lawd.

Don't we all.

Offline steven_578

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 08:02:31 AM »
I don't think I would have a problem with a male soprano whether if it's at practice or at an engagement,concert,etc.  Many people stereotype them and say, "Wow he sings high, He must be gay," when that shouldn't be done by anyone.  If i went to someone and mentioned Micah Stampley or Tonex, for example, they would say either, "Wow he's got a great voice and a great range," or, "Something is wrong with him." That shouldn't be the case because I've seen male sopranos that act more masculine than some tenors.  Besides if God blessed me with a range like that I would get on everyone's nerves singing all the time lol!
We Serve An Awesome GOD!!!!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:49 PM »
The first thing I think is, "OMGosh their range must be AMAZING!!"  Some people think it's gay.  I wonder what the think about Smokey Robinson and other males who sing with high voices.  ::)
It would be a blessing to have a male soprano!!! I have one at my church, and it sounds great!!!

I think we have one here! ;D ;D ;D

One must also take into account the spirit of the person.
Do they want to sing soprano because there more comfortable fellowshiping with the females? I have seen that in my choir. :'(

I don't see a problem with someone "fellowshiping" with females. What about dancers? Even actors in school are looked at as being "gay"--at least in the schools I went to.

Exactly! If you're going to sing soprano, at least don't clap flowery! Grow a beard! Something! Sheesh! ;)

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:32 AM »
Exactly! If you're going to sing soprano, at least don't clap flowery! Grow a beard! Something! Sheesh! ;)

I played for a concert one time and there was a male soprano.  I had seen him at his home church before.  He is clearly carrying the soprano section.  But at the concert at my home church, everyone was wearing black.  The women had on black dresses, blouses, skirts, etc..the men had on black pants and shirts, etc...but his shirt had sequins all over it.  Now everyone should know from my posts in other discussions that I'm not big on judging outward appearances.  But with homosexuality running rampant in the church and in the music departments, someone should have told that brother (in love) that sequins wasn't a good look.

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thes. 5:22)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:04 AM »
I played for a concert one time and there was a male soprano.  I had seen him at his home church before.  He is clearly carrying the soprano section.  But at the concert at my home church, everyone was wearing black.  The women had on black dresses, blouses, skirts, etc..the men had on black pants and shirts, etc...but his shirt had sequins all over it.  Now everyone should know from my posts in other discussions that I'm not big on judging outward appearances.  But with homosexuality running rampant in the church and in the music departments, someone should have told that brother (in love) that sequins wasn't a good look.

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thes. 5:22)

Reminds me of the time  I went to a service and the piano player was wearing a see thru fish-net shirt and shades. Now that appears evil to me!

Offline Jmanley1116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »
I don't like male sopranos.  Most...and, I reiterate...most of them sound nasaly(sp?)and lets be honest here...most are a bit effeminate.  If you HAVE to sing soprano you need to be the first Tenor next to the soprano section.  All the tenors that I have seen that sing soprano in a traditional choir setup sing on the outside of the soprano section thusly making themsleves a spectacle and being quite a distraction...it basically said "look at me!!  I am a dude singing soprano and I'm killing it!!!".  The same goes for the alto section.  And, I am not biased either...I hate it when women sing from the middle of the tenor section.  You need to be the first woman next to the tenors.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »
;D

LOL

Ramar

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »
Reminds me of the time  I went to a service and the piano player was wearing a see thru fish-net shirt and shades. Now that appears evil to me!

At least he didn't have a nipple ring, that would have done it for me!!!

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »
What? You mean nipple rings are a faux pa (spelling). Well I guess I'll just have to take mine out. And burn my fishnet shirts. And my fake mink jacket. And the fake crocodile shoes. And the pleather pants. And...
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
What? You mean nipple rings are a faux pa (spelling). Well I guess I'll just have to take mine out. And burn my fishnet shirts. And my fake mink jacket. And the fake crocodile shoes. And the pleather pants. And...

Is there anything else you would like to share? :D
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »
Nah I think I got it all off my chest, no pun intended.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up