LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Organists that don't do bass pedals  (Read 14930 times)

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

Organists that don't do bass pedals
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
I was hired to do a live recording for a local group.  While I was hooking up all the mics, I asked the organist would he be using the pedals. (I asked because there was a bassist there) He kinda frowned up and said yes, I use pedals and then he played a couple of them.  Then all throughout the recording, all he did was left hand bass.
My question is too all of you that don't play pedals, does it bother you that you're not good with the pedals? 
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Organists that don't do bass pedals
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
I just started playing the organ again after many years and I can attest that I am uncomfortable using the pedals...We recently acquired a bass player also, so right now it doesn't really bother me because I don't need to hold down the bass in left hand or pedals, so I guess for now I'm good...but I really need to work on my pedal technique, I can only hold it down on slow songs, but even then I get lost at times, so I resort to using my left hand for bass versus chording if the bass player isn't there...lol :)

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
Yeah I'm not comfortable playin the bass pedals.... yet. We have a bass player so I usually just play left hand bass.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »
but I really need to work on my pedal technique, I can only hold it down on slow songs, but even then I get lost at times, so I resort to using my left hand for bass versus chording if the bass player isn't there...lol :)

I know exactly what you are saying. Way back when, I tried out playing the organ but never learned the bass pedals. We had no bass player at the time (he was away at college) and so I had to hold down the bass lines. It was hard playing left hand bass and switching speeds because you had to move your left hand away from the keys for a couple of seconds. With no bass player to cover me, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Eventually I decided the organ wasn't for me and returned to the piano full time.

About a year after that I decided to take up the organ again, only this time I wanted to learn the bass pedals. When I first started, of course, I had no idea what I was doing. I during my practice sessions, I would constantly hit the wrong notes because I didn't know where my foot was supposed to go without looking down. Slow songs were easier to play but when I would play fast songs, I would lose my coordination. Fortunately, all of this happened during practice sessions. I did not actually play the organ for service until I was comfortable doing so.

After many months of practice, it became almost second nature to play the pedals. That was four years ago. I pretty much have to play the pedals now when I play because it keeps me coordinated. We have an excellent bass player at the church I attend now but I still keep the pedals at about half volume so I can at least hear myself play them.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
My problem is that I dont know what bass notes to play. I know where they are, but I'm no good when it comes to bass

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »
I know exactly what you are saying. Way back when, I tried out playing the organ but never learned the bass pedals. We had no bass player at the time (he was away at college) and so I had to hold down the bass lines. It was hard playing left hand bass and switching speeds because you had to move your left hand away from the keys for a couple of seconds. With no bass player to cover me, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Eventually I decided the organ wasn't for me and returned to the piano full time.

About a year after that I decided to take up the organ again, only this time I wanted to learn the bass pedals. When I first started, of course, I had no idea what I was doing. I during my practice sessions, I would constantly hit the wrong notes because I didn't know where my foot was supposed to go without looking down. Slow songs were easier to play but when I would play fast songs, I would lose my coordination. Fortunately, all of this happened during practice sessions. I did not actually play the organ for service until I was comfortable doing so.

After many months of practice, it became almost second nature to play the pedals. That was four years ago. I pretty much have to play the pedals now when I play because it keeps me coordinated. We have an excellent bass player at the church I attend now but I still keep the pedals at about half volume so I can at least hear myself play them.

That's pretty much me now, on fast songs...I can find the pedals without looking on the slow songs, but I lose coordination and get lost if its a fast song...I keep the volume low on the pedals currently and try to use them whenever I can get away with it, while the bass player is playing.  I don't have a chance to practice at home...I must get the XK3 with pedals, LOL :D

I was thinking about just going back to keys at church for now, but since the pastor/congregation learned I could play the organ and heard me, they pretty much hinted that I continue to play the organ at church, whether I use the pedals or not...lol...I guess it's a fuller sound from the organ, especially with the current speaker/monitor setup.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »
RMS,  this is similar to my situation. I started playing at church using my keyboard.  They had the B3 there and the pastor started joking around about me not playing it, so I gave it a shot.  I did left hand bass for a few months but it didn't sound as rich as the pedal bass.  I had to replace the felt on the pedals anyway so it bought me some time and I just practiced.  It was challenging to learn especially since I have somewhat large feet.  After about a year, I really started to get the hang of it and I'm not to shabby.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »
I confess,my big feet aren't that graceful;but got the pedals out today and gonna give it a shot.One thing;like the depth of the pedals,but necessarily the sound.Would rather hear a fat acoustic or slap;what do you do to sculpt your pedal tone.(more like a string bass)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
Would rather hear a fat acoustic or slap;what do you do to sculpt your pedal tone.(more like a string bass)

Buy a string bass unit.

Offline TheReturn

• LGM Member
  • Me In My ZONE!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
WELL I CAN PLAY WITH THE PEDALS COMFORTABLY BUT I'M KINDA BOTH WAYS ABOUT PLAYING WITH OR WITHOUT THE PEDALS.

ITS DEPENDS ON THE SETTING. IF I'M AM IN A CONCERT/CHURCH SERVICE AND I'M THE LEAD MUSICIAN THAN I WOULD NEED TO PLAY WITH THE PEDALS NO MATTER IF THERE IS A BASS PLAYER OR NOT.

REASON BEING IS BECAUSE, NORMALLY IN A CONCERT/CHURCH SERVICE WERE THE ORGAN IS THE LEAD INSTRUMENT, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT DIRECTION YOU WOULD GO IN SO YOU WOULD NEED TO HANDLE THE BASS LINE BY YOURSELF SOMETIMES! (this could be just me personally but thats the way i roll!!! lol) HAVING A BASS PLAYER IS GOOD BUT SOMETIMES THE SPIRIT WILL ALLOW YOU TO PLAY SOME UNORTHADOXED STUFF AND THERE ISN'T ALWAYS TIME TO LET THE BASS PLAYER KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!

BUT IF I'M PLAYING THE ORGAN IN A SERVICE/CONCERT AND I'M NOT THE LEAD INSTRUMENT OR I'M JUST PADDING I'LL KEEP THE PEDAL DRAWBARS ON ZERO OR IF I'M GOING TO BE PLAYING THE ENTIRE TIME I'LL TAKE THE PDEALS OFF AND LAY THEM TO THE SIDE SO I WON'T BE TEMPTED TO GO WERE I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO GO. lol

LIKE I SAID THATS JUST ME. BUT IF IT WAS JUST ORGAN AND DRUMS I WOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE SERVICE BY PLAYING JUST THE PEDALS OR JUST LEFT HAND BASS OR BOTH!!!

HOLLA
CATRON/TheReturn
TRANSPOSING IS FOR CHEATERS. (thats why i want to quit)

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 07:08:13 PM »
I usually just play the root of the chord I'm playing. No funky bass lines or anything yet.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »
Wow, U guys should help me get started..
I always liked the idea of playing bass on the pedals, but was demotivated by fact that most people posting stuff in youtube usually don't use pedals & it sounds so good anyway..
This thread will motivate me to learn the pedals.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:10:29 PM »
Wow, U guys should help me get started..
I always liked the idea of playing bass on the pedals, but was demotivated by fact that most people posting stuff in youtube usually don't use pedals & it sounds so good anyway..
This thread will motivate me to learn the pedals.

Yeah they use pedal, you probaly just cant hear it depending on the speakers you use. Sometimes I hook up my laptop to my stereo, and It sounds 1000 times better. Get a little cheap speaker system with a "subwoofer" (i use that tem loosely), and you should be able to hear the bass.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
Yeah they use pedal, you probaly just cant hear it depending on the speakers you use. Sometimes I hook up my laptop to my stereo, and It sounds 1000 times better. Get a little cheap speaker system with a "subwoofer" (i use that tem loosely), and you should be able to hear the bass.

Thanks, I'll try that..But I've tried it in the past & still couldn't hear the bass.. :-\
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
I play pedals, but I need to improve with my pedaling for faster songs.  I've had a regular bassist this past year, so I haven't been pressed to work on that technique.  It does bother me, though, that I haven't worked on it.  I'm now focusing more on my pedaling technique because I'm not always going to have a bassist and my sound has so many more possibilities by taking advantage of the pedals.

Offline pressingon3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
When I first started playing the organ about 5 yrs ago, I was so intimidated by the bass pedals. I would play decent chords ,but  I just could not get the hang of the bass pedals.

At one of the churches where I used to play, I used to call the custodial staff and someone would meet me at the church to unlock the door so that I could "practice" on the organ especially the bass pedals. I would usually practice about 2 hrs because I was just that determined to master the foot pedals.

The next church where I played, I was blessed to have my own key, and guess what.... I would
sometimes travel to the church at 1:00 a.m. or 2;00 a.m. and go ............................practice my foot pedals.

To make a long story short, I  had to master the foot pedals because at most churches where I played , there was no bass player; therefore I did not have a choice.. THe majority of the time iit's  just me and the drummer.

I have a good friend who is a very good organist, and he makes mention of the heel to toe technique which Im attempting to master myself. There is some info about this on this site, but I cant recall where it's located. The next time that he and I talk, I will get info from him and post it.

I have gotten so used to the foot pedals now. It is just like second nature. sometimes, I still have to look down depending on the  key that Im playing in. By the way, I play at 2 different churches and both of them have A100 models which have NO TRANSPOSE button.

In closing, remember. You can master the pedals.  It just takes time and LOTS OF PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

God BLess!

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
The next church where I played, I was blessed to have my own key, and guess what.... I would
sometimes travel to the church at 1:00 a.m. or 2;00 a.m. and go ............................practice my foot pedals.

I'm surprised the cops didn't show up or something to find out why someone was in the church at 2:00 AM, LOL. That and churches make weird noises at night, LOL.  ;D

Offline t-jazz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://hitmakersuniverse.com

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »
All of you guys made good points... but the ones that stuck out the most was the ones about practicing!  Learning to master the bass pedals doesn't come over night for anyone. There' s alot of trial and error but eventually you'll get it!

But I sucked big time when I first converted from the keyboard to the organ! I would just bounce one note and that was the key the song was in! So, it sounded like a drum pedal or something! And I was always looking down at my feet because I couldn't find the notes without looking at them! So, I just used my left hand to run the bass line! I sounded like a was playing a keyboard that had a really nice organ sound :D

I'm very comfortable with the pedals now, and I really don't play bass with my left hand anymore! Unless a certain part of the song really calls for it!  It just sounds so much more full playing two handed chords as suppose to bassing with my left.  I think that's what seperates
an organist from a keyboardist!  But that could just be me...
BLESS GOD

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 06:54:36 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that..But I've tried it in the past & still couldn't hear the bass.. :-\

Then you need bigger and better speakers

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »
What do you do to get your pedal tone to project? To me,the pedal tone just isn't as clear as it should be,A friend of mine was telling me that's why it's best to have a tone cabinet and leslie,or an A100 +leslie.Some of the post on here REALLY don't like that idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up