LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Organists that don't do bass pedals  (Read 14911 times)

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Re: Organists that don't do bass pedals
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »
Just want to thank you all;this post has encouraged me to get into the pedals.LORD has blessed my effort and moving forward,hadn't played pedals in 15 years,actually playing better in a few weeks than I ever did before.Something that has helped is wearing a bedroom slipper,slides a LOT easier +quicker.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2008, 06:42:02 AM »
yo Ken.have you checked the obvious? are pedals positioned correctly-sometimes got to make sure all contacts line up,also any loose wires from moving? drawbar wires for the pedals connected? seems strange that you have a pedal only issue

Rjthakid

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2008, 09:53:01 AM »
I practice with pedals and use them when the bass player isn't there.

But during service our bassist usually is there, so I don't play bass at all.

You can't really get the richest fullest sound possible if you're not left hand chording.

You can't solo with your right hand if you don't use pedals.

Bass in your foot, shell chord in your left hand, solo with your right.  That's a basic Organ technique that you can't use if you don't use the pedals.

Offline sonicfoxbody

• LGM Member
    • Southeast Organ Co

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »
my general rule of thumb is I run a deep bass left handed on fast songs and medium to slow songs I run bass pedals (when I'm playing alone). I can't do much when playing with a bass player because I'd hate to step on him. So I just use pedals to make more of a full sound.
Southeast Organ Co
Follow us on Facebook

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
Usually I know where the bass player is going and he knows where I am...we can play together on most songs
Keep It Funky

Offline Ken-Ken24

• LGM Member
  • God loves me!

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
yo Ken.have you checked the obvious? are pedals positioned correctly-sometimes got to make sure all contacts line up,also any loose wires from moving? drawbar wires for the pedals connected? seems strange that you have a pedal only issue
I will do that when I get my organ. I had to store it at another house until I move, but I will definitely check that out. Thanks!
Created by God

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »
btw-has anybody got the DVD "inside hammond" by Bruno M?  saw it @ Goggle and think you can get it from hammond show how to work And play!!!!!!!!

Offline boogiesibley

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »
I don't use the bass pedals because I'm too short to reach them right now. I know it sounds kind of weird, but I'm 14, in a wheelchair, and very short for my age. I usually just play the keyboards. I just recently learned what to play on the pedals from watching my aunt, and I've started playing the pedals' part with my left hand. On fast songs I used to play chords with my right hand and do the bass with my left. On slow songs I just play chords in both hands.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »
Yesterday was one of my first times really playing the pedals in service. It made it a lot fuller, and easier for the the guitar player to catch my rythm (sp) and follow me

Ramar

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
It just doesn't sound as good without the pedals, in my opinion.... The pedals give a warm, deep bass tone that can not only be heard but FELT... not to mention the phat, juicy chords that can be played...

The manuals can't produce the same tone as the bass pedal... the only time I play the bass line with my left hand is when I want to accent the bass that I'm playing with my foot-- for example, a song where bass guitar is a key instrument in the song, I'll emulate the bass line with my left hand

I'd rather play piano then play the organ without the pedals.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
I confess,my big feet aren't that graceful;but got the pedals out today and gonna give it a shot.One thing;like the depth of the pedals,but necessarily the sound.Would rather hear a fat acoustic or slap;what do you do to sculpt your pedal tone.(more like a string bass)

I am not going to front this is a true story

I was at a jazz organ jam
and there was a hammond

drummer and saxaphone player

and I heard a bass player but didnt see him
so i start to really look around on the the stage but no bass player

after the set I asked the drummer who was playing bass

he said it was the organist

for real it sounded so much like a string bass I was fooled

and I am embarrassed to say I originally started on bass and played it professionally for a few years

so to be fooled like that means

that the hammond has the ability to mimic a string bass

I think two basic set ups for bass tones are

you can find some setups t
another thing to do to get a bass tone for pedals only
is to play with your toes
instead of heel toe

somehow it gives you more clarity
although pianists and organists like playing legato

a bass player works hard to mute strings as he plays

so if you play with your toes you have a closer sound of an attack like that of a bass player

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline ole skool

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »
im sorry but i was always taught that a "true" organist uses their foot and people cant tell the difference between the person using their foot or hand. Thats where i want to be.

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2008, 05:03:18 AM »
you should never play pedals if a bass player is there you will lose many friendships with bassist lol you should learn how to work together, of course your going to be restricted in your playing thats what happens when playing in a full band
im sorry but i was always taught that a "true" organist uses their foot and people cant tell the difference between the person using their foot or hand. Thats where i want to be.
true organist know how to use pedals but your foot will never sound like your hand they can come close but not the same
keyz 4 life

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »
Using the toe for clarity makes sense D,listen to cats especially Jimmy Mcgriff for the feel/sound I'm talking about

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
Using the toe for clarity makes sense D,listen to cats especially Jimmy Mcgriff for the feel/sound I'm talking about
I've seen organist play the "natural" keys with their toe but my feet are too big to accomplish that.  I've gotten fairly good at articulating with my heel however.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
I've seen organist play the "natural" keys with their toe but my feet are too big to accomplish that.  I've gotten fairly good at articulating with my heel however.
according to the harold gleason pipe organ method

you are supposed to turn your foot so that you play with the inside edge of the foot

when you use this method you can achieve articluate playing
even wearing combat boots  although this is not recommended,

although you can get away with using your heel on everything

you miss a very important ingredient

the ankle

the toe allows your ankle to snap the pedal
quick attacks or slow attacks
the control is all in the ankle much like the wrist for proper piano technique  a loose flexible ankle that can turn to allow your heel and toes to move and articulate passages is primarily important
for good pedalling technique

if you only use the heal then your whole leg is used like a piston which is not recommended

of course do what works best for you

but I hope this information helps some of you find a better way to pedal

To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »
sounds like I'm not the only "bigfoot" ha ha  try it with triple EEE's -pretty close to combat boots

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2008, 08:16:13 AM »
sounds like I'm not the only "bigfoot" ha ha  try it with triple EEE's -pretty close to combat boots
triple EEE no wonder you can run three miles your big feet take up all the shock so your knees dont feel any pain

joking I am but not really

I am sure wider feet probably help displace the shockto your knees  from running
as to playing organ

the ankle roll will help you
just play with the inside edge of the sole of your shoe

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
you should never play pedals if a bass player is there you will lose many friendships with bassist lol you should learn how to work together, of course your going to be restricted in your playing thats what happens when playing in a full bandtrue organist know how to use pedals but your foot will never sound like your hand they can come close but not the same
actually you would be surprised when you learn to use two feet

sometimes the feet can sound just as good as a left hand
at least as far as playing written lines
I am sure there are some fantastic feats you can do with the five fingers of the left hand

but as far as bass lines and melodies are concerned your feet can sound exactly like a hand

listen to a you tube of virgil fox do a pedal solo
and you will see what i mean

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:51 AM »

virgil fox killing the pedals!!
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up