LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help Out!!!  (Read 795 times)

Offline PrinceShalom

• LGM Member

Please Help Out!!!
« on: August 20, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
Hi all.I...er..have been playing the keys for a while now(8yrs in all) and though I'm not as proficient as I ought to be(judging from d resources at my disposal),I'm knowledgeable about gospel music to a good extent.I also do vocals and as a result of what I know(or seem to know,lol),I've earned the respect and admiration of my fellow buddies in the music ministry.I have this thing for excellence~if it's worth doing at all,do it well.Know it well.Better to know a few chords and apply them well than know so much technique and scales and muddle up everything(Sheesh!that cuts me off).Okay,the issue is this.A Music director friend who respects me as a musician/minister has asked me to come to his church to be on the board of 3 that'll audition all the current and incoming vocalists.Truth be told,the church he directs is where I grew up and got my foundation in music and those I'm asked to audition have been my friends for a while.I've known them and their music levels and...how do I get to be totally fair without hurting their 'souls',how do i get to even audition them(yeah,I know a good vocalist when I see[make that hear] one and I do my vocals well~not blowing my trumpet;really)?
I know my playing the keys has helped me vocally(I learn vocals and instrumentals for all songs i rehearse) but these guys hardly put in as much effort as I do so i know they're not Radical for Christ/greater Anointing standard.How do I justify....

Please!!! How do I successfully audition new people(musically,what do I permit and reject in the audition) and audition my friends along side?!The audition is in 2 weeks!!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Please Help Out!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
You may need to recuse yourself from the process because it's an audition; everyone doesn't make it. It's that simple.

What can you do? The big thing for me isn't whether someone can sing; it's whether or not they can hear what they're singing and anticipate where their part is going. That's a big help when learning new songs.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
Are you a panelist¿  If so, just give the truth in love. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
Okay - cowardly way out - if you are on a panel of 3 you can refer all the objections to decisions to the board - as in, 'well, you know me, but as for the others'....of course for this to work well you have to get with the MOM and the others on the board and AGREE to keep your votes anonymous....

But more seriously, it's not about developed talent/anointing, but about potential...can they sing out, match/keep pitch?
Are they teachable, open to discipling? How well do they blend vocally and work spiritually with others?
And be sure to have them sing something with 1-3 other vocalists, to determine if they can learn a harmony part....
Pages: [1]   Go Up