LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MOM verses Choir Director  (Read 4502 times)

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

MOM verses Choir Director
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:48:12 PM »
What exactly are the duties of each?

Sometimes it seems the choir director seems to overstep the MOM. Maybe not purposely but it has happened.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: MOM verses Choir Director
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
*Pulls up a chair and some popcorn*

I've gone through/am going through something like this right now.  The answers should be interesting.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
Try posting in the MOM Room.

Choir director - directs the choir, chooses songs

MOM - oversees the entire music ministry.

Thier duties vary according to what it says in their job descrption. But the MOM would usually have final say over any issue.

If there is a problem in you choir, I suggest they sit down with the pastor and creatre a Job description for the MOM and Choir directors. That way everybody knows what they should and should not be doing

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
Under13 is right.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
So you moved it.....
I thought this was deleted. I was thinking, "I know I didn't put no cuss words in it or nothing", lol...

I was asking because sometimes our MOM and director clash. Especially when it comes to teaching parts. Now our choir director knows nothing about music (don't ask me how she became the director). She will try to teach parts then the MOM will get upset (She has a music degree). But she doesn't really say anything she just has this look, lol. (She's my sister) We just get kind of tired of starting pratice off with everyone in a good mood. Then because there isn't a meeting of the minds people get attitudes.

Maybe handouts are needed to explain everyones position, lol.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »

Great idea

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
So you moved it.....
I thought this was deleted. I was thinking, "I know I didn't put no cuss words in it or nothing", lol...

I was asking because sometimes our MOM and director clash. Especially when it comes to teaching parts. Now our choir director knows nothing about music (don't ask me how she became the director). She will try to teach parts then the MOM will get upset (She has a music degree). But she doesn't really say anything she just has this look, lol. (She's my sister) We just get kind of tired of starting pratice off with everyone in a good mood. Then because there isn't a meeting of the minds people get attitudes.

We had a situation like that in a group I play for. It got ugly. I'm thinkin about leaving. I dont know yet....

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
We had a situation like that in a group I play for. It got ugly. I'm thinkin about leaving. I dont know yet....

My sister gets so fed up. She talks about leaving all the time. But I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe they don't know any better. But leaving would not be the answer... My two cents.. :)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:51:12 PM »

{Raises hand sheepishly} Sometimes I am guilty of giving such looks when I hear an off part or beat...having a pretty good ear I tend to catch mistakes before many others.

Pray, and count the cost. In what ways would it be better/worse than it is now? I know it's a wrenching decision.

My sister gets so fed up. She talks about leaving all the time. But I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe they don't know any better. But leaving would not be the answer... My two cents.. :)

Think I know how she feels....I left a paid position a few months ago because of this very issue - a choir director who got with the Pastor to extend their position to MOM and was trying to take over everything - service order, song selection, solos, intruding into what and how I was to play. It got too much when their criticism and control started to affect the Praise band. I quit soon after that, and heard later that the choir director also resigned in the aftermath.

Looking back, IMO the only things I could have done differently was to try to communicate better with the Pastor (talked briefly, but was not specific enough) and go to the board who hired me to try to clarify our job descriptions.....
 ::)

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
{Raises hand sheepishly} Sometimes I am guilty of giving such looks when I hear an off part or beat...having a pretty good ear I tend to catch mistakes before many others.

Pray, and count the cost. In what ways would it be better/worse than it is now? I know it's a wrenching decision.

Think I know how she feels....I left a paid position a few months ago because of this very issue - a choir director who got with the Pastor to extend their position to MOM and was trying to take over everything - service order, song selection, solos, intruding into what and how I was to play. It got too much when their criticism and control started to affect the Praise band. I quit soon after that, and heard later that the choir director also resigned in the aftermath.

Looking back, IMO the only things I could have done differently was to try to communicate better with the Pastor (talked briefly, but was not specific enough) and go to the board who hired me to try to clarify our job descriptions..... ::)

I agree...

Things tend to get out of hand quickly. When it could all be solved just as quickly..

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »

Lol.  Same here.  But the thing is I'm so embarrased about my singing voice I won't say anything or if I do say something I'll play it on my guitar.  But that doesn't work for some dumb reason.  I remember at practice the choir was being taught the harmony parts for, "Hallelujah, Salvation, and Glory".  Some people kept singing it wrong and I started to butt in because the choir director kept forgetting and singing it wrong.  So I tried to sing it first and I got embarrased (even though nobody said a thing or even flinched) so the next few times I played it on my guitar.  Then they looked at me like, "huh"?  Then the pianist played the same EXACT thing on her piano and everybody was like, "Oh!!  So THAT'S how it goes!"   ?/? 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »

Well lets put it this way: They freakin suck! Well they have loads potential but they seem to want to remain in the kinetic state. They want to be a praise and worship group, but they dont want to sing PnW songs that fit the occasions and that will really minister to people. They have no confidence on stage; we have Bombed at least 3 performances, and I cant continue to put myself out there like that any longer. The "leader" sees this thing through rose colored glasses and refuses to take criticism when they need all the help they can get. 

And i found out earlier that we are scheduled to sing at a revival at my home church (which I wont even be able to attend because of work)

I could rant all day about this, but to sum it up, i'm not that hungry to play, to put up with childish drama and such from Grown behind women.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:44:29 AM »

Why wouldn't it be the answer? Provided, of course, that they have stated their case, first through prayer, then puttin' feet to their prayer (by talking to the person who's in offense and then going above, if need be.)

I'm dealing with something like this, now, actually. Our P&W leader is our first lady. She's a wonderful woman of God. She can hear when something's not correct, but she, admittedly, can't fix it. That's where I come in...or should come in.

I'll leave it right there.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
Why wouldn't it be the answer? Provided, of course, that they have stated their case, first through prayer, then puttin' feet to their prayer (by talking to the person who's in offense and then going above, if need be.)

I'm dealing with something like this, now, actually. Our P&W leader is our first lady. She's a wonderful woman of God. She can hear when something's not correct, but she, admittedly, can't fix it. That's where I come in...or should come in.

I'll leave it right there.

I don't think it would be the answer because that kind of thing is in most churches. I left my church for some things that people wouldn't bring out and get to the bottom of. THen the next church I went to had that same kind of thing going on... I believe it's best to get it settled early on thru the right channels. THen if it can't be worked out and a person can't deal with it any longer then they may need to leave. I don't think it should be the first option, especially if you like the church as a whole...

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
I don't think it would be the answer because that kind of thing is in most churches. I left my church for some things that people wouldn't bring out and get to the bottom of. THen the next church I went to had that same kind of thing going on... I believe it's best to get it settled early on thru the right channels. THen if it can't be worked out and a person can't deal with it any longer then they may need to leave. I don't think it should be the first option, especially if you like the church as a whole...

Leaving should not be the first option....but a lot of times these situations come down to fleshly issues of dominance and defending/extending one's power. Jesus showed us a different way of leadership - washing each other's feet (cooperation/serving instead of CEO-style dictating). He said that His kingdom is NOT of this world, that a little child shall lead us, that the last should be first.

How well do we do this? Seems to me that this is the major issue affecting the church these days. Do others looking at us see backbiting, schemes and infighting, or do they see how we love each other? I admit that often I do not want to lay down my life for others...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
Leaving should not be the first option....but a lot of times these situations come down to fleshly issues of dominance and defending/extending one's power. Jesus showed us a different way of leadership - washing each other's feet (cooperation/serving instead of CEO-style dictating). He said that His kingdom is NOT of this world, that a little child shall lead us, that the last should be first.

How well do we do this? Seems to me that this is the major issue affecting the church these days. Do others looking at us see backbiting, schemes and infighting, or do they see how we love each other? I admit that often I do not want to lay down my life for others...

COSIGN!!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:55 PM »
Hello I am sorry for commenting on this topic all late and everything. 

THE JOB OF A CHOIR DIRECTOR:

A. Primary Function of Position: To rehearse the choir for their active participation and leadership role in the scheduled Sunday worship services and other services as required.
B. The choir director shall select all songs and choral anthems to be sung by the choir. Music should be appropriate for use in the worship service and, if possible, follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor whenever possible, and given to the organist well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
C. Choir anthems shall be sung under the direction of the choir director at worship services weekly, unless other choirs, soloists or other arrangements have been made. The choir director shall also, upon request, arrange for choir member(s) participation in other portions of the services.
D. The director will be responsible for the choir's appearance, sound and delivery.
E. Choirs shall rehearse weekly and at additional times as identified by special needs, with rehearsals conducted by the choir director.
F. Performance and celebration with special choir selections or programs of music is encouraged from time to time for the promotion of choral worship and the general spiritual health of the congregation. Special programs are normally presented seasonally and on Church Music Sunday. Arrangements for special soloists, accompanists or instrumentalist will be made by the choir director..
G. The choir director shall perform the duties of the position in a friendly and mutual manner with the Pastor, the Congregation Members and the choir.
H. The choir director shall give advice and assistance whenever requested by the Pastor.
J. Choir director shall attend Worship Committee meetings to facilitate communication and planning.

THE ROLE OF THE MIN. OF MUSIC IS:

Is to assist the choir director and accompany the choir with music. 

BUT I FEEL IF THE CHOIR DIRECTOR DON"T KNOW WHAT SHE DOING, SOMEONE NEED TO TELL THE PASTOR.

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 09:26:42 PM »
Coinsedentally my sister brought in hand outs on this topic. It listed the duties right down to the choir members. It's funny cause they both were kind of overstepping each other. Nobody said anything. I believe we'll just take up and go from here.

Thank you all for your response. It was all helpful and much appreciated.. :)

Offline sayyes

• LGM Member
  • Things are gonna work out for sure..

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »
It has been my experience in small churches these ministries can get confused the MOM needs to trust the director to do his/her job and like wise with the director.
And I Want You To Say Well Done....

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Well, I would say just leave it in the hands of the lord, you just keep doing the will of the lord and the lord will exalt you in do time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up