LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOM verses Choir Director  (Read 4503 times)

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member
    • Pentecostal COGIC Greenville Ky.

Re: MOM verses Choir Director
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
t its the other way aroud the choir director is to asst the MOM

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 01:17:43 AM »

The balance of power depends on the denomination and the church - ideally they should be able to work together without getting in each other's way. But sometimes one or the other gets the big head and tries to push people around...this is where a wise pastor is key, IMO...

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 08:20:23 PM »
I disagree with that statement, but anyways what I would do if I was in your situation I would inform the pastor in leave in his/her hands.  But I agree
The balance of power depends on the denomination and the church - ideally they should be able to work together without getting in each other's way. But sometimes one or the other gets the big head and tries to push people around...this is where a wise pastor is key, IMO...
Choir Directors and MOM should be able to work together!

Offline farenhype

• LGM Member
    • LTMG

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
M.O.M-focus on the spiritual development of their choir. Work with their respective musicians and coordinate with Pastors/Leaders on special occasions.

Choir director-choose music, oversee the vocal and spiritual development of their respective choirs.

Define roles...stay in your lane  ;)

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
I understand my role very well, but this not a matter to be taken out of hand because If, and I mean IF we are all doing it for GOD the there should be NO (their Musicans or their Choir) it all belongs to GOD the gift of playing the music and singing the music.

TYRON90!!! :)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 06:48:25 AM »
Hello I am sorry for commenting on this topic all late and everything. 

THE JOB OF A CHOIR DIRECTOR:

A. Primary Function of Position: To rehearse the choir for their active participation and leadership role in the scheduled Sunday worship services and other services as required.
B. The choir director shall select all songs and choral anthems to be sung by the choir. Music should be appropriate for use in the worship service and, if possible, follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor whenever possible, and given to the organist well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
C. Choir anthems shall be sung under the direction of the choir director at worship services weekly, unless other choirs, soloists or other arrangements have been made. The choir director shall also, upon request, arrange for choir member(s) participation in other portions of the services.
D. The director will be responsible for the choir's appearance, sound and delivery.
E. Choirs shall rehearse weekly and at additional times as identified by special needs, with rehearsals conducted by the choir director.
F. Performance and celebration with special choir selections or programs of music is encouraged from time to time for the promotion of choral worship and the general spiritual health of the congregation. Special programs are normally presented seasonally and on Church Music Sunday. Arrangements for special soloists, accompanists or instrumentalist will be made by the choir director..
G. The choir director shall perform the duties of the position in a friendly and mutual manner with the Pastor, the Congregation Members and the choir.
H. The choir director shall give advice and assistance whenever requested by the Pastor.
J. Choir director shall attend Worship Committee meetings to facilitate communication and planning.

THE ROLE OF THE MIN. OF MUSIC IS:

Is to assist the choir director and accompany the choir with music. 

BUT I FEEL IF THE CHOIR DIRECTOR DON"T KNOW WHAT SHE DOING, SOMEONE NEED TO TELL THE PASTOR.

This is out of balance, IMO. :-\ The MOM should accompany the choir? Wouldn't that make them one of the musicians?  ?/?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
This is out of balance, IMO. :-\ The MOM should accompany the choir? Wouldn't that make them one of the musicians?  ?/?

Agreed.  In his instance, it seems he is referring to a choir director and a musical director, which they would work hand-in-hand.  In most instances, the choir director/band director/musical leaders submit to the MOM role.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »
Agreed.  In his instance, it seems he is referring to a choir director and a musical director, which they would work hand-in-hand.  In most instances, the choir director/band director/musical leaders submit to the MOM role.

Exactly.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »
Exactly.

Yes, I was referring to  choir director and a musical director.  They should work hand and hand like Vtguy84 said.

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member
    • Pentecostal COGIC Greenville Ky.

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
Hello I am sorry for commenting on this topic all late and everything. 

THE JOB OF A CHOIR DIRECTOR:

A. Primary Function of Position: To rehearse the choir for their active participation and leadership role in the scheduled Sunday worship services and other services as required.
B. The choir director shall select all songs and choral anthems to be sung by the choir. Music should be appropriate for use in the worship service and, if possible, follow the theme or the lessons appointed for the day. Music selections shall be made in consultation with the Pastor whenever possible, and given to the organist well in advance of their rehearsal and performance by the choir.
C. Choir anthems shall be sung under the direction of the choir director at worship services weekly, unless other choirs, soloists or other arrangements have been made. The choir director shall also, upon request, arrange for choir member(s) participation in other portions of the services.
D. The director will be responsible for the choir's appearance, sound and delivery.
E. Choirs shall rehearse weekly and at additional times as identified by special needs, with rehearsals conducted by the choir director.
F. Performance and celebration with special choir selections or programs of music is encouraged from time to time for the promotion of choral worship and the general spiritual health of the congregation. Special programs are normally presented seasonally and on Church Music Sunday. Arrangements for special soloists, accompanists or instrumentalist will be made by the choir director..
G. The choir director shall perform the duties of the position in a friendly and mutual manner with the Pastor, the Congregation Members and the choir.
H. The choir director shall give advice and assistance whenever requested by the Pastor.
J. Choir director shall attend Worship Committee meetings to facilitate communication and planning.

THE ROLE OF THE MIN. OF MUSIC IS:

Is to assist the choir director and accompany the choir with music. 

BUT I FEEL IF THE CHOIR DIRECTOR DON"T KNOW WHAT SHE DOING, SOMEONE NEED TO TELL THE PASTOR.

JOB DESCRIPTIONS
MINISTER OF MUSIC - Must provide full time leadership, development, and evaluation for the entire music life of the church. Responsibilities include developing and maintaining a comprehensive music ministry You are to initiate a balance that includes hymns, gospel, anthems, contemporary and instrumental music for all choirs and events.
The Minister of Music must have the ability to perform all types of scared music and demonstrate direction for all age groups. (Children's choir, Young people's choir as well as Adult choir).
Must have a heart for worship as well as praise. An ear to hear the sounds of heaven and move accordingly in the Spirit.
Must be motivated by the Holy Ghost, have a desire for excellence and WORKS WELL AS PART OF A TEAM! We are not looking for a performer. You are not a lone ranger. You are as good as your choir.
The Minister of Music must work closely with the pastor as the songs will complement his sermons. You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times.
Lastly, the Minister of Music must maintain a growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of bible reading, prayer, personal worship, fasting, confession and fellowship.

CHOIR DIRECTOR - Know your music and direct on Sunday morning or whenever the choir is called upon. You are to help select appropriate and varied choir music. Be present at all choir engagements as much as possible. If not. please let pastor and minister of music know in advance of your absence.
You must help recruit members. Arrange for and lead at least one major choir presentation annually as a fund raiser. Remember the Minister of Music with a love offering during the appropriate district meetings, and lastly, have an appreciation service once a year for the Minister of Music.

The choir director must arrange for an appropriate substitute during absences and provide prior notification to the pastor. You must have a commitment to the church's ministry through music as well as good organizational and interpersonal skills.
Must have basic understanding music or the willingness to learn. Have the ability to direct songs as well as the ability to teach and train others. Must be able to direct any and all songs the choir sings in the event the director is not there to direct his or her song.
You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times.
MUSICIANS - Must be versed in traditional and contemporary gospel music. You Must have the ability to play by ear and notes. Please be punctual and dependable. You must participate in meetings and in training opportunities as offered.
Musicians must assist with the supervision of calendar program events.
You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times. This is to include sharing your instruments preferably the drums.

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
If this is all true then I see why I choir is in the position it is in. Lord have mercy on us!!!

Offline nextlevelmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:17 AM »
JOB DESCRIPTIONS
MINISTER OF MUSIC - Must provide full time leadership, development, and evaluation for the entire music life of the church. Responsibilities include developing and maintaining a comprehensive music ministry You are to initiate a balance that includes hymns, gospel, anthems, contemporary and instrumental music for all choirs and events.
The Minister of Music must have the ability to perform all types of scared music and demonstrate direction for all age groups. (Children's choir, Young people's choir as well as Adult choir).
Must have a heart for worship as well as praise. An ear to hear the sounds of heaven and move accordingly in the Spirit.
Must be motivated by the Holy Ghost, have a desire for excellence and WORKS WELL AS PART OF A TEAM! We are not looking for a performer. You are not a lone ranger. You are as good as your choir.
The Minister of Music must work closely with the pastor as the songs will complement his sermons. You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times.
Lastly, the Minister of Music must maintain a growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of bible reading, prayer, personal worship, fasting, confession and fellowship.

CHOIR DIRECTOR - Know your music and direct on Sunday morning or whenever the choir is called upon. You are to help select appropriate and varied choir music. Be present at all choir engagements as much as possible. If not. please let pastor and minister of music know in advance of your absence.
You must help recruit members. Arrange for and lead at least one major choir presentation annually as a fund raiser. Remember the Minister of Music with a love offering during the appropriate district meetings, and lastly, have an appreciation service once a year for the Minister of Music.

The choir director must arrange for an appropriate substitute during absences and provide prior notification to the pastor. You must have a commitment to the church's ministry through music as well as good organizational and interpersonal skills.
Must have basic understanding music or the willingness to learn. Have the ability to direct songs as well as the ability to teach and train others. Must be able to direct any and all songs the choir sings in the event the director is not there to direct his or her song.
You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times.
MUSICIANS - Must be versed in traditional and contemporary gospel music. You Must have the ability to play by ear and notes. Please be punctual and dependable. You must participate in meetings and in training opportunities as offered.
Musicians must assist with the supervision of calendar program events.
You must fast and pray and seek the face of God as the music you present is to be anointed to destroy yokes and lift up burdens. DO NOT DISPLAY YOUR PERSONAL PROBLEMS (OR TRIALS & TRIBULATIONS) WITH DIRECTORS, MUSICIANS OR THE CONGREGRATION! In other words, have the emotional maturity and judgment to provide musical leadership at all times. This is to include sharing your instruments preferably the drums.

You hit it on the head!!!!!

Offline on1accord78

• LGM Member
  • Passion 4 Sangin
    • Facebook

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
I agree with under13, but I have to add that while the Choir Director isn't over the MOM, there are times when the music isn't flowing and it's kinda throwing things off when the director does step in and say, "hey y'all gotta clean that part up right there", or that the beat is too fast or too slow and things of that nature, but I think that's about as far as it goes. I do like to allow my MOM to give me his opinion in the selections of songs a lot of the time, and many directors don't do that, so building a good working relationship helps a lot.
In Him I live, move, and have my being!

Offline andresmith

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
Well, in my opinion the MOM is the person in charge, but he/she would need to give the director room to do the job. 

They should work hand-in-hand together to accomplish one goal...

Blessings,
Andre' Smith
Andre Smith
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up