LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A good Tube Amp  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

A good Tube Amp
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:22:41 AM »
Hey fellas and fellets!

I was going to upgrade my rig (once I finished fixing up my car  :'().  I was going to buy two pieces of equipment, The pod x3 live and another amp.  I wanted to know which tube amp to you think is the best?  should 40 watts be enough??  Is fender a good brand??

Input fellas and fellets!

Offline bibbst

• LGM Member

Re: A good Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:37:40 AM »
Hello, my name is Terence. I have the 40 Fender Deluxe. A lot of power for any side Church. On the up side it works great with my American Fender Statocastor. Don't know about the type of sound effects you use. I have the Roland 30, Guitar synth & Zoom effects systems. Reservations when using my American Gibson "Les Paul". But, even saying all that. I'm still looking for something better. I recommend you find a good store that has several brands, and give them a thorough workout.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Hello, my name is Terence. I have the 40 Fender Deluxe. A lot of power for any side Church. On the up side it works great with my American Fender Statocastor. Don't know about the type of sound effects you use. I have the Roland 30, Guitar synth & Zoom effects systems. Reservations when using my American Gibson "Les Paul". But, even saying all that. I'm still looking for something better. I recommend you find a good store that has several brands, and give them a thorough workout.

Thanks and welcome to LGM!!!

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:58 PM »
This is a difficult question to give a definitive answer (I think that's why it keeps popping up a lot).

It's kinda like: Hey, what's the best pizza EVER?

Depends on your tastes.

Ok, let's get the facts out of the way: you will be hard pressed to outgrow a 40W tube amp. Need more volume? Add more speakers, or mic it up (which you should b doing regardless of the size of your church, in my opinion).

Now, for opinions: Personally, I think the Fenders are a great amp for clean to cleanish tones. I've never really played one that I got an amazing distortion out of. Keep in mind, my experience is pretty much in the store.

If you are looking for a good start for a POD or other effects, then that's probably a good route to take.

We all now how I feel about my Classic 30, so I won't rant.

We all know how much everyone likes the Crate V-series. I'd put that on your list.

One thing to consider--and I have no idea how much these cost - is the Visual Sound Workhorse. It's an all-tube amp, made to gig, and designed to be used with pedals (it even has a 9V output for your board--right on the amp).

I think they're pricey, though, but I've read good things.

Mainly, just shop, shop, shop until you find what you like. Take your guitar with you (unless you can pick one just like it off the wall).

Use your ears, mainly.

Let us know what you find.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
since whatever amp you buy is pretty much going to be a powered speaker cab for your x3...you have a lot of options. (i say that because the best way to run the x3 is through the effects loop input...bypassing the tone-stack of the amp)

you do  peavey classic 30, crate palomino, fender hot rod, fender deluxe, vox ac15/30...tons of options.

and if you can crank a 30 watt tube amp in your building and not make everyone hate you....you are doing good. if you are being mic'd, 30 watts is MORe than enough.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 06:48:54 AM »
Thanks fellas!!

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »
I caught a very good deal on a previously owned Mesa/Boogie LoneStar Special (1x12) and it scares the daylights out of me. The power will knock your socks off. I had to replace a reverb tube but it's like a dragster waiting to jump on green light.
I see why this little amp list for over $1500. A "Player Advisory" sticker needs to be placed on the lower right grill.  8)
Abe
8)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
I caught a very good deal on a previously owned Mesa/Boogie LoneStar Special (1x12) and it scares the daylights out of me. The power will knock your socks off. I had to replace a reverb tube but it's like a dragster waiting to jump on green light.
I see why this little amp list for over $1500. A "Player Advisory" sticker needs to be placed on the lower right grill.  8)

those Lonestars are great amps....saw Tim Stewart playing one at the American Idol concert the other night....sounded amazing.

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »
I particularly like Fender myself.  Especially the Twin Reverb.  Most common amp used in gospel as well!

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »
I particularly like Fender myself.  Especially the Twin Reverb.  Most common amp used in gospel as well!

I agree, I still have my original (1968) Fender Super Reverb(4x10). It has a small hisss but it sounds good.
Abe
8)

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »
I think I'm leaning more towards the 60 watt fender hotrod...

Offline lilBB

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:00:39 PM »
those Lonestars are great amps....saw Tim Stewart playing one at the American Idol concert the other night....sounded amazing.

really like that guy. first saw him on a youtube clip with Chris Dave drummer) and a bass player out of Houston about a year or two ago. gotta kinda get to the 2 or 3 minute mark to really hear him open up a little bit tho...seems like everyone was initially trying to outdo everyone else.

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
Abe, want to sow your Super Reverb? ;)

Gibby, a Hot Rod is a great sounding amp as well.  They break up easier, more overdrive, and sound slightly thinner.  But still very good!

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 05:10:09 PM »
Gibby, a Hot Rod is a great sounding amp as well.  They break up easier, more overdrive, and sound slightly thinner.  But still very good!

LOL!!! The second sentence got me thinking, "Dang, I should get the other amp!"

But thanks for your input!!!!

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:13 PM »
Abe, want to sow your Super Reverb? ;)

Do I want to sell my Super Reverb?
No way... ;D
Abe
8)

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 10:55:47 PM »
I didnt say sell . . . ;)

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty