LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Family Stone in the church?  (Read 7134 times)

Offline MrSteve

• LGM Member

The Family Stone in the church?
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
So the worship leader has been talking to me about how he loved the bassline on Anthony Evans' version of Blessed Be Your Name. He sent me the MP3 today so I could learn it for tomorrow's rehearsal and it cracked me up because I already learned this when I learned to play Larry Graham's line on If You Want Me to Stay. There are some small changes here and there but it's too close to be an accident, right? I mean, what bass player doesn't know this line?

Am I crazy?
"Sing to him a new song, play skillfully on the strings with loud shouts" - Psalms 33:3

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

Re: The Family Stone in the church?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Honestly, I have heard the song a million and 1 times, and Sly and Family Stone never came to mind, then when you pointed it out, I could totally hear it.

With that said, the feel of the song, could totally lend to that being an accident, and not intentional.  I won't make a decision one way of the other. 

I am often just playing around grooving with keyboard player after service, and people will say that was "Such and Such Song" -- And I am like, I have never heard that song in my life.  And I then get that look, like... You must've been in the club last night. LOL!

Anyhow, our keyboard player is so good at pointing out songs that we do that sound like another song...  I've gotten to the point where with 12 tones, you will get alot of repetition.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »
The drummer in my non-church christian band. Hands me a cd and says. "do you think you can learn the bass line to track one". I am thinking to myself ohhh great and am terrible at this. I may be asking my father to help me with this. I turn it on and I hear the bass like to the Staple singers- I'll take you there. I happen to have been playing this run for about 6 months and play it at least once a week. I dont remember the name of the song but it was gospel.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »
...I turn it on and I hear the bass like to the Staple singers- I'll take you there. I happen to have been playing this run for about 6 months and play it at least once a week. I dont remember the name of the song but it was gospel.

It's a Joe Pace song.  If I were near my iPod I could tell you the name.  I bought two Joe Pace CDs on iTunes this past week and one of them has the bassline to "I'll Take You There".  There's another Joe Pace selection (that an MoM has asked me to learn) that I'm tellin' you when I listened to it I clearly heard "That's The Way Of The World" by Earth Wind & Fire.  There's another song we do, "Holy Spirit" that sounds like "Keep Your Head To The Sky", but in a different key.  And let us NOT get started on Kirk Franklin.......

Peace,

James
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »
It's a Joe Pace song.  If I were near my iPod I could tell you the name.  I bought two Joe Pace CDs on iTunes this past week and one of them has the bassline to "I'll Take You There". 

the name of that song is "I will bless the lord at all times".

It kind of tripped be me out a little when i heard it too..lol (even though the staples singers where a christian group it's pretty bold just to jack the beat like that).
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:47:40 PM »
  There's another Joe Pace selection (that an MoM has asked me to learn) that I'm tellin' you when I listened to it I clearly heard "That's The Way Of The World" by Earth Wind & Fire. 

Yo, when I heard that cut, I was like, are they serious?  :D  I mean, theres no mistaking either, esp. the little guitar part they try to twist into something else lol. 
Praise Him!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:22:26 PM »
There's another song we do, "Holy Spirit" that sounds like "Keep Your Head To The Sky", but in a different key.  And let us NOT get started on Kirk Franklin.......

Kirk does a song that is straight up "Keep your head to the sky" :)

the name of that song is "I will bless the lord at all times".

We played a bit of it once during rehearsal, and folks started trippin'... like what are yall doing.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 08:32:11 AM »
Shall we start a thread called "Gospel Songs That Borrow From Secular Songs"? I'll start... :)

Mary Mary's "Heaven" is straight from Honey Cone's "Want Ads"

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 08:43:49 AM »
:o Say it aint so!  Awww man!  I sho thought that was original. *sigh* :-[
Praise Him!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
my mentor/teacher can tell all of that with any song. most of them have parts from something and he taught me how to listen for it. i can tell if i hear it, but my old-school secular catalog is very limited so i cant do it off the top of my head.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
That Joe Pace song had the audience lookin puzzled when we played that.  We had a guy do a gospel rap; he wanted us to learn "Just to get By" by Talib Kweli. We played that and the youth at the church went wild.  I thought we were in the club...lol.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:10 AM »
Shall we start a thread called "Gospel Songs That Borrow From Secular Songs"? I'll start... :)

Kirk Franklin "Stomp" = Parliament Funkadelic "One Nation Under A Groove"

Kirk Franklin "I've Been Looking For You" = Patrice Rushen "Haven't You Heard"

Bishop Paul Morton "Let It Rain" borrows a lot from Prince "Purple Rain"

I'm sure I'll think of a few more
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »
C'mon, now...  The rest of the 40-somethings need to chime in! ;D

Kirk Franklin's "This Is It" = Kenny Loggins' "This Is It"

One thing about Kirk, he makes no bones about liberally sampling secular music.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
That Joe Pace song had the audience lookin puzzled when we played that.  We had a guy do a gospel rap; he wanted us to learn "Just to get By" by Talib Kweli. We played that and the youth at the church went wild.  I thought we were in the club...lol.

I am 27 and black and have no idea who you are talking about. (Talib Kweli)

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
My br'er pointed out on rendition of "Trading my Sorrows" sounds just like Fine Young Cannibals, "She Drives me Crazy"....  I was crushed... LOL!

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »

I am 27 and black and have no idea who you are talking about. (Talib Kweli)

Type his name in google...download the song; actually the beat is pretty nice.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
this is kinda funny, because I just wrote a song a couple of weeks ago that borrows from that larry graham funk line. I actually used flea's (From the RHCP) version/style to write it, its different, but thats where I got the idea, I play it F# F# F# F# F# F# F# F# E E E E E E E E A A A A A A A A B B B B B B B B same rhythm and everything lol

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »
this is kinda funny, because I just wrote a song a couple of weeks ago that borrows from that larry graham funk line. I actually used flea's (From the RHCP) version/style to write it, its different, but thats where I got the idea, I play it F# F# F# F# F# F# F# F# E E E E E E E E A A A A A A A A B B B B B B B B same rhythm and everything lol

Funny...I'm writing a song "Desert People" but Jaco's "River People" keeps slipping in...maybe I'll just do a Kirk Franklin and use the same line... :-\

oh well
be blessed

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:01 PM »
Did you know that the early hymns that were written following the Protestant Reformation used beer pub songs as the backing track? John or Chrles Wesley said it made it easier to teach theology when set to music that the people already knew....who would have thought that we would be doing the same thing 300 years later!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
When I'm warming up sometimes I like to do a little finger funk. Today my mother happens to be close enough to hear me and she wanted me to stop. Needless to say I find it amusing when someone can sing Heaven or any of those songs and not have any problems with where some parts of the song come from. Oh well like I say the only way to differentiate a gospel song and a secular song is by listening to the words.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up