LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you have good ears??  (Read 4552 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Do you have good ears??
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
How is your ear for music?  Did you always have it, or did you have to develop it?
:)

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

Re: Do you have good ears??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:59:20 PM »
How is your ear for music?  Did you always have it, or did you have to develop it?
yes, I had to develop it, and I continue to daily

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »

I think God gave me an ear for music when I was about 5.  That was when I learned I could play by ear.  I remember trying to play by ear before the Christmas my dad got the family keyboard at someone's house and I couldn't do it.  However it does need to be developed more.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »
I definitely had to develop mine. I am still having struggles with playing by ear.

I can however, recognize chord qualities very well. :)
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »
I'm learning that's all I can say ;D. That's why I did the name that key game...I need all the help I can get.
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:55:53 PM »
I think since I've been working on my ear the most out of the years, it is the strongest. I can't play nearly as well as I can hear the chords in a song. I know people that play better than me who can't hear chords as well, if that even sounds possible. I can't hear runs (scales) as well though.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »
I think since I've been working on my ear the most out of the years, it is the strongest. I can't play nearly as well as I can hear the chords in a song. I know people that play better than me who can't hear chords as well, if that even sounds possible. I can't hear runs (scales) as well though.

Yep this is me. I cannot hear the chords very well, which is why i NEED my choir to give me the songs they want to play ahead of time. I suck at playing songs on the fly.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
I have a singer's ear (meaning I can hear the harmonies, for the most part, while singing).

I can't translate that to my playing......yet.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »
Well I know I have to develop my ear I can hear the keys and changes but I can't just recognize the different progressions and filler's and passing chords as good but I can hear it.... But Im still working on it to this day... Im gettin better I can pick up a song on the spot now... but I just have to listen harder to find the right chords or I alwayz come close..to it I can hear runs and scales also... I can pick up a run   
and work wit it....But most of all I had to listen before I play...
Music is my Best friend

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:21:53 AM »

I'd say I have a strong ear for music now.  I didn't always have it, but it developed quickly cuz I listen to music all the time.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »
I have a singer's ear (meaning I can hear the harmonies, for the most part, while singing).

I can't translate that to my playing......yet.  :-\

I can never hear the choir parts. Someone told me choirs sing in chords.

Offline MrEdabass

• LGM Member
    • My youtube

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
I believe God has gifted me with "bigears", Literally and musically lol. From a very young age I have been able to hear and pick things out, copy things, and learn things real quick just by hearin em. And I'm the kinda person that if you give me theory, I will only remember it if I'm being tested on it, other than that, it floats wayy outside of my head. I'm not one with perfect pitch but I've always had a strong ear. Gotta give to God through what he gave to me  ;D
Jesus

And you'll never find one greater

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »
I can never hear the choir parts. Someone told me choirs sing in chords.

Basically, that's true.  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
My ear is okay.  I started working on it about 10 years ago when I got my first church job.  I started playing piano seriously when I was about 10.  From age 10-17, I studied mostly classical.  But due to my job playing for a youth choir, I had to play gospel.  They supplied the sheet music, but it was not always available.  I could always hear the bass line and I could hear the melody line, but I had to figure out what was in the middle.  Sheet music helped, but usually only the first time around was transcribed.  Due to my classical training, I was very meticulous in getting the right notes.  So I spent many nights up late trying to learn a song for the next morning at church. 

At first it was like this:  listen to 3 seconds, try to hum or process in my head what I just heard, then translate it to the piano...or rewind (back in the days of cassettes) and listen to it again.  Now depending on the song and how full the instrumentation is, I can usually pick out what is being played rather quickly. 

If anyone has seen a couple of my youtube clips, you'll know that I try to play exactly what is played on the original track.

(mike bereal played the original)
(Cedric Thompson on the original)
(Kevin Bond on the original)

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »
Here's another:

(Ivan Powell on the original)

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 01:23:11 PM »
I belive that the ear is both a gift from God, and something that has to be developed. God gives us the potential, but it is up to us to fully develop it. ;D ;D ;D
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
My ear is okay.  I started working on it about 10 years ago when I got my first church job.  I started playing piano seriously when I was about 10.  From age 10-17, I studied mostly classical.  But due to my job playing for a youth choir, I had to play gospel.  They supplied the sheet music, but it was not always available.  I could always hear the bass line and I could hear the melody line, but I had to figure out what was in the middle.  Sheet music helped, but usually only the first time around was transcribed.  Due to my classical training, I was very meticulous in getting the right notes.  So I spent many nights up late trying to learn a song for the next morning at church. 

At first it was like this:  listen to 3 seconds, try to hum or process in my head what I just heard, then translate it to the piano...or rewind (back in the days of cassettes) and listen to it again.  Now depending on the song and how full the instrumentation is, I can usually pick out what is being played rather quickly. 

If anyone has seen a couple of my youtube clips, you'll know that I try to play exactly what is played on the original track.

I haven't tried to get a song 100% in about 5 years. I usually settle for getting the correct chords and a few of the scales. :(

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »
I haven't tried to get a song 100% in about 5 years. I usually settle for getting the correct chords and a few of the scales. :(

thats what Im talking about; I do realize the benefits though. But to that end, I respond by picking up the easiest moves, and the ones that sound the best.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 10:52:24 PM »
thats what Im talking about; I do realize the benefits though. But to that end, I respond by picking up the easiest moves, and the ones that sound the best.

Does that make us lazy? I know some people that would say so.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
Does that make us lazy? I know some people that would say so.
nah. I have to move on. You know how long it takes to get a song note for note! Those people dont have a good argument. Too many songs to learn, and so little time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up