LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you have good ears??  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Casioman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Re: Do you have good ears??
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 04:30:09 AM »
I can hear the type of chords & notes ok depending on the complexity of the song/chord progression. The main problem for me comes with the Key/Pitch, I have tried numerous times to guess the notes played & I am wrong almost every time.

The pastors brother who lives in another town came to our church once & played the service. His ear was uncanny, He rehearsed 8 songs an hour before the service started & before the second line of the song was sung he was playing it like a professional & in the correct key sung too, I asked him the secret to this skill, he said pray & practice.

Casioman
Casioman aka Cmajornine

Visit http://cmajorninekeyz.info/index.html

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 07:54:42 AM »
I haven't tried to get a song 100% in about 5 years. I usually settle for getting the correct chords and a few of the scales.

I was just thinking about this the other day.  I don't sit and learn a song note for note either.  I wouldn't say it makes us lazy.  Everybody has different methods of learning.  I feel it helps me with developing my own style, if I just learn the chords and add my own flava.  Even from sheet music, I'll take the chords and voicing from the music.  If I want to use a certain run or scale, then I would get that note for note, but as for the whole song in its entirety, I haven't done.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
Does that make us lazy? I know some people that would say so.

No i don't think it makes us lazy. I don't usually try and get a song note for note: way too hard for me, plus i gots other stuff to do. :)

The only thing i always try to get note for note is the intro of the song so that folk can recognize what song it is. Otherwise just the chords and te right scale is fine for me.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
I belive that the ear is both a gift from God, and something that has to be developed. God gives us the potential, but it is up to us to fully develop it. ;D ;D ;D

Very well said.  I give him all the glory for the talent with which he has blessed me.  But I also put in a lot of hard work...especially on the front end when I was first learning to play by ear.

Does that make us lazy? I know some people that would say so.

Of course not.  It depends on the venue and the need.  When Jason White recorded "Thank You Lord" with Mary Mary, he didn't play it exactly like Kevin Bond did (I think it was Bond) back when the Hawkins' family recorded it.   Whereas not every soloist is a strong enough singer to sing a song regardless of what the musicians are playing, some are.  Por ejemple, when my church sang "My Heart's Desire" about 3 years ago, the other keyboardist played it and I played strings or something.  This joker was nowhere close to playing it like the CD, but it was the song.  The soloist was complaining because she had practiced it so much with the original recording.  So she was waiting for certain piano cues and such and they weren't there.  In situations like these, it helps to play as closely to the original as possible.

nah. I have to move on. You know how long it takes to get a song note for note! Those people dont have a good argument. Too many songs to learn, and so little time.

It depends on how long you've been at it.  It doesn't take me much longer than a day or two (in actuality, a few concentrated minutes or hours depending on the complexity of the song) to learn a song note for note. 

The only thing i always try to get note for note is the intro of the song so that folk can recognize what song it is. Otherwise just the chords and the right scale is fine for me.

Song recognition is very important!  I'm not a big fan of taking songs way out in the ocean to where they are barely recognizable at best when someone is singing it.

Check how close these two versions are.

Kevim Bond:

Mike Bereal:

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »
I definitely had to develop mine. I am still having struggles with playing by ear.

I can however, recognize chord qualities very well. :)

Copycat! :D
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up