LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *********big problem!!!! i thought i lost my hearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!********  (Read 2840 times)

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

So i got invited to play at a church. So I have never seen this church i've never seen there drums or anything. So i bring my gear and i bring my head phones thinking i was going to be using them. So i get to the church and i see the drums i put my gear on it i do my thing and i take out my head phones and when i look theres no mixer to put my head phones. So i took a monitor and set it next to me.

So we start playing and things start going good the Spirit is moving so naturally every one gets louder. Then the key board player cant hear himself so they put it up on the monitor as well and the singers to. Then i got way to loud next thing i know we play for like an hour and nothing then they started singing again so i start playing again for another 30 mintes or so.

Then we finally stop. i get off the drums i go down to my chair and i hear a "beep" noise and im looking at the sound guy thinking its feed back. But then my girl friend turns around to me and goes to say something and i couldnt hear her i heard the pastor speaking on the mic thru the speakers (that were loud) but i couldnt hear her. Then i go to say something to her and i couldnt even hear myself speak. I got terrified i didnt even play drums after that i let another dude play. I was scared!!!!!! so for about three more days i heard the same "beep" and my ear was hurting just a little bit! until today i notice that i can barely hear the "beep" sound so thats glory to God...

So to every one if this situation accurs wear some earos!!!!  ;)

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

Re: *********big problem!!!! i thought i lost my hearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!********
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »
You just experienced temporary tinnitus...

It's not fun - I hope that this teaches everyone to protect their hearing.
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:38:05 PM »
VicFirth cans will offer you much more protection than Hearos which I actually use. I found that because the loud sound from monitors still you in the area around the ears it still causes damage so fully covering the ear area with the isolation phones offers protection.

The other downside of music that loud is that it messes with your bodies biorhythms which can cause other physical issues.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »
thanks fellas! I really should had listened to you all earlier about all this. Never thought it happened to me...

Offline mingusfingus

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »
Man, take care of your hearing. I personally know few drummers 40+ years old and most of them lost hearing up to 60%. There was 1 year and a half that I`ve been rehearsing 8 hours a day, 6 days a week in a room in a bomb shelter. The room was about 12 square meters with concrete walls. I tried to soundproof it to avoid reflections and so on but it doesn`t work much it was a torture for my ears :)... So after a couple of such rehearsals with a "beeеееep" sound in my ears I`ve never played since without any sound protection. You can buy some earplugs to keep it in your snare bag in case if you will need it. You can even buy some headphones which are used bu construction workers like these

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/en005/safety/safety/node_TP3Z6BV57Rgs/root_D58K9TX3VWgv/vroot_LR9P7Z8B2Lge/bgel_1FCDP3BNTNbl/gvel_QNJ35ZZL83gl/theme_au_safety_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

they`re cheap and has the same costruction as Vic Firth ones.
BTW earmufs, earplugs etc also reduce some annoying hum and frequencies so you can hear what happening more clearly.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »
Man, take care of your hearing. I personally know few drummers 40+ years old and most of them lost hearing up to 60%. There was 1 year and a half that I`ve been rehearsing 8 hours a day, 6 days a week in a room in a bomb shelter. The room was about 12 square meters with concrete walls. I tried to soundproof it to avoid reflections and so on but it doesn`t work much it was a torture for my ears :)... So after a couple of such rehearsals with a "beeеееep" sound in my ears I`ve never played since without any sound protection. You can buy some earplugs to keep it in your snare bag in case if you will need it. You can even buy some headphones which are used bu construction workers like these

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/en005/safety/safety/node_TP3Z6BV57Rgs/root_D58K9TX3VWgv/vroot_LR9P7Z8B2Lge/bgel_1FCDP3BNTNbl/gvel_QNJ35ZZL83gl/theme_au_safety_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

they`re cheap and has the same costruction as Vic Firth ones.
BTW earmufs, earplugs etc also reduce some annoying hum and frequencies so you can hear what happening more clearly.

That for the reminder on these we can buy those at Lowes or Home Depot
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 11:04:36 PM »
thanks fellas! I really should had listened to you all earlier about all this. Never thought it happened to me...
I studied this in school. Once you hear ringing in your ears, you can rest assured that the damage has already been done. You have to be extra careful and use protection when it comes to your ears; especially for us musicians. We need our ears. Any damage done to your ears is irreversable, so I can guarantee after that experience there are some frequencies that you heard before that you won't hear anymore. Be careful man.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »
Yeah man I have the constant ringing but mine is very faint but some drugs make it worse, it is a very scary thing so I totally understand your fear! We as gospel drummers do stupid things like play with out protection, have our music way too loud, our head phone mix too loud, have a full size loud speaker as a monitor sitting right next to your ears on a stand, and on and on....I did all those things.

Its funny I still have all of my hearing and mines even off the chart BUT I think its that way because I had to learn to listen past the ringing... ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have protection on hand!!! Hearos ARE the best! If you don't have the money to get moulded $150 and up ear plugs HEAROS does the same thing. They have some for around $20 that have a filter that lets you hear all the high end but filters out all the bad frequencies and makes everything flat, VATER has their own version of them too.

You should ALWAYS HAVE A PAIR IN YOUR STICK BAG and IN YOUR CAR!!!! You never know when you will come up to a situation like what happened to you!!!

I never to rarely ever play with out some kind of protection....Trust me when you start to get use to always playing with protection (and its something you are going to have to get use to) you will see how loud the drums really are when you sit down and play them at a store or something.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »
*bump*

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
I remember a little while ago i used to see threads like this and not care! But once you go threw it you'll start to care big time then any little tip that you get you cherish it for the rest of your life!  :D Lol

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »
I remember a little while ago i used to see threads like this and not care! But once you go threw it you'll start to care big time then any little tip that you get you cherish it for the rest of your life!  :D Lol

;D

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »

;D

:D :D :D :D :D

This is a very, important threat though. I'm glad someone brought this up again.

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:08 PM »

;D

lmbo! you a clown jkay.... you going to that clinic at drums2go? i tryed to pick up the tickets but i was to late... all sold out...

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
It's all in jokes... 

I have my ticket - I will be there, Lord willin'!  When the next one comes, be sure to get them thangs early!

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
It's all in jokes... 

I have my ticket - I will be there, Lord willin'!  When the next one comes, be sure to get them thangs early!

yeup... i procrastinated big time. lol GB

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

yeup... i procrastinated big time. lol GB

How do you procrastinate on a $10 tix to a Dave Weckl clinic?

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 11:50:01 PM »
How do you procrastinate on a $10 tix to a Dave Weckl clinic?

To be honest the first week I didn't have the money. But then I got the money and I said ok next week Imma get it. Well next week was a week to late! Lol. I know I'm mad.

But I'll be there when a Campbell comes down for the next clinic. s
Pages: [1]   Go Up