LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you do when Practicing?  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Sistadrumma

• LGM Member

What do you do when Practicing?
« on: September 08, 2004, 07:59:48 AM »
hi all,
just wana hear what u guys do for practice.
how do each of you go about learnin the rudiments and applying them?

would b real interesting to know.
thanks.
God Bless :)

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:00:47 AM »
what i do when i practice......i think! I think of new things 2 come up wityh, by listening 2 some of my favorite drummers, like dave weckl, vinnie colaiuta, eddie, and gerald. i also apply all the rudiments 2 the set.....looking at drum dvds help 2.

Offline Sistadrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 10:05:45 AM »
Quote from: chrisdavejr
what i do when i practice......i think! I think of new things 2 come up wityh, by listening 2 some of my favorite drummers, like dave weckl, vinnie colaiuta, eddie, and gerald. i also apply all the rudiments 2 the set.....looking at drum dvds help 2.

Thanks for that.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:24:26 PM »
I just watch other drummers and try to do some of the things they be doing, but put my spin on it. I also listen to CDs and wath videos. It really helps to see someone playing something and you watch them and then practice on your own and try to get it right. Practice makes perfect!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline 112233

• LGM Member
    • http://www.revived.notlong.com

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 09:35:36 PM »
well personally what i do, is i find a new song that i never heard before, listen to it, then just try to play it like the song's beat goes. never had lessons, taught myself by doing this.

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 09:43:24 PM »
I have been playin for 17 years and I don't even the last I practice on the drums :D  :D Only because I am more focused on the piano/organ but don't put me out....I always have something under my sleeve :wink:  :wink:
MERCY EN!!

Offline Sistadrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 07:10:52 AM »
Quote from: ddw4e
but don't put me out....I always have something under my sleeve :wink:  :wink:

:lol: LOL im clapping on that one!!!

Offline AJn311

• LGM Member

what do i do when practicing
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 04:05:19 PM »
Big Pimpin

hey whats up everybody, what i do is before i start i do some off beat stuff because that helps me a lot. and i do some sixteenth notes on my ride and hi hat, and still do off beat. but when doing off be its alway 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. So thats some avoice to all the drummers.

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 10:58:36 AM »
How I start off my practicing is a simple technique. I generally start off with a simple slow beat and play that same beat until I gain complete control. Most drummers start off stroking really fast thinking thats what warms them up, but it only makes you loose with no control. And its just intenseness(if thats a word)

Offline Mzbabygrand

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 10:39:08 AM »
hi im a percusionist but im on my moms screen name, i teach marching percussion for a high school,and play at church been doin it 18 yrs. i apply some of the techs and rudemental warm ups from that straight to the set.  and use some of the voices of the bass and snare to add flavor. mostly just grab u a rudemental book and start choppin and apply it to snare tom combos or bass cymbal combos. throw some prapradiddles, flata fla fla's, swiss army flam taps, flam drags, cheeses, chutta's, rolls: single stroke, double stroke, tripple's, and and quads (if u can he he). just to name a few. most of the rudements sound just like u say them its not hard just takes practice and research. god bless hope i helped

Offline dwdrummer

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 10:16:39 AM »
well what i do is just sit at my kit lay a pocket down and then keep on doin licks that i cant do until i get em.

Offline aNdThEBeAtGoEsOn

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 02:56:10 PM »
I practice everyday for about 2 or more hours, depending on how much time I have. I start off by watchin' Thomas Langs DVD "Creative Control". I do the rudiments along with him on a practice pad. It helps alot. I LOVE this DVD it helps so, so much. After that I go sit down at my drums and do an exercise demonstrated in the video. This is what you do:
you start off with singles with your right and left hand and both feet (does that make sense to y'all?) and then you move on...doubles...triples...etc. You start off slow and get faster.
Heres and example:
Hit the first tom w/ your right hand and at the same time hit your right pedal. Then use your left hand and hit the first tom while at the same time hitting your left pedal. Start slow then get faster. Then move on to doubles...And so on. This is a great exercise especially if you are trying to learn double bass. I also to paradidles with my hands and feet. And last I put in a praise and worship CD and play!

EAT, SLEEP, DRUM, EAT, SLEEP, DRUM...

Offline sambadrummer

• LGM Member

doing the diddles
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 11:43:47 AM »
when i start warming up, i start with just the snare drum.  i start doing some easy rudiments. single stroke i start at a ease pace and graduall<(adente) move fast. and repeat the procdure with double stroke, triplets, paradilles, and flams(which is great when used). After i am done for about an hour, i move to my set, and start with the bass drum, doing a lot of single beats, i have a double bass so i do L, R, and go faster.  after that start going around the toms. Start with single stroke. first beat starts on the snare, do it for two measures and at the last beat (on 4) end with a triplet, should be on the snare. and graudally increase speed.  and also practice you 5stroke roll 7stroke roll. implement them on the bass as well.

after your done put on your headphones and start jamming along.

God Bless I hope this will help a little
Drumming For my Jesus!!!!!!

Offline Ash

• LGM Member

What are some good DVD's to get of drummers?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 12:33:42 PM »
If you can help me with finding DVD's or even Videos of drummers i would appreciate it alot. I haven't been able to find any.. I've been playing the drums for a little while now i would say about 5 years and i've come a long way...In order to improve I would like to see what I can learn from others. Any listings you can give would help.. Thanks Ashley :)

Offline aNdThEBeAtGoEsOn

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 09:52:49 PM »
Ashley-
Try "Creative Control" by Thomas Lang...it'll keep you busy for hours...its a little expensive but its worth it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up