LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOM Question  (Read 1573 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

MOM Question
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
As a MOM, or a choir Director, how much (if any) imput do you accept from the choir members and the musicians?

Or do you believe that they should not have any imput, or give sugestions?

If you do, how do you balance it so that there are minimal problems? Or is there never an issue?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: MOM Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »
As a MOM, or a choir Director, how much (if any) imput do you accept from the choir members and the musicians?

If you do, how do you balance it so that there are minimal problems? Or is there never an issue?

Everyone wants to be heard. That's not necessarily a bad thing. At times, folks can see some things that may otherwise escape you, as a MOM.

Some people have a song that they'd love to play or sing that would fit well with the congregation. Take their suggestion; ask for the CD or the song; see if it works.

While Nehemiah was in charge of building the wall, everyone worked on a part of it. ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
I used to have a very strong influence until I started bringing in James Hall-esque songs for the choir to sing. Remember, this is a traditional Baptist Church.

After about the 4th 'struggle', I started to notice a pattern and decided to let the Director handle things from then on. My stuff was too advanced.  :D :D :D

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:57:43 AM »
Try to listen to everyone...but set priorities. Mine are -

God (natch)
My Ear  ;D
Other musicians/singers - especially when it comes to song selections (try to be open even if it's not your style)
Sr. Pastor/Minister
Other Staff/people in the Church

The problem comes when their advice collides - such as the Sunday School leader who doesn't want you to back her up when she sings to the children, but expects you to come in when she wants the congregation to join in...

Offline demusicman

• LGM Member
  • http://www.myspace.com/reverenceministry
    • http://www.myspace.com/demusicman

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:08:35 AM »
I have had that happen before and i find it amusing! I'm like oh well. But it was with a Pastor he wouldnt want me backing him up when we were at the home church when he broke out in song, but when we got out on programs he expected me 2.

But back to the subject you have to heed to God's will.
By all means take suggestions and dont get trapped in playing only your style of music if the congregation/choir is not quite in that direction.

Try to listen to everyone...but set priorities. Mine are -

God (natch)
My Ear  ;D
Other musicians/singers - especially when it comes to song selections (try to be open even if it's not your style)
Sr. Pastor/Minister
Other Staff/people in the Church

The problem comes when their advice collides - such as the Sunday School leader who doesn't want you to back her up when she sings to the children, but expects you to come in when she wants the congregation to join in...
Daniel E. Smalls, Minister of Music & Worship Arts
Heaven Bound Ministries Worship Center

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »

I'll accept input from musicians and choir members.  Right now I'm sure they feel like they aren't being heard because their suggestions aren't being put to action right away, however some stuff behind the scenes needs to be fixed before we go ahead with their idea(s).  My think is I don't like letting the musicians and the choir/praise team know about the behind the scenes stuff.  That's between me and the leaders.  They should't be worried with that. 

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:46:13 AM »
As an unofficial MOM and part choir director, I'd say take suggestions to heart, but ultimately do what's best for the church and/or choir, even if it's something u personally don't want to do.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »
You should always be open for suggestions but you also ought to know what your singers are capable of.

I've scratched quite a few songs because the singers just couldn't produce. What amuses me is then they'll suggest a song that's more complicated than the ones we scratched already.

As far as having issues; we all have an understanding - MOM has the last say so. It's not an ego trip thing, that just how it is. I don't abuse it so we don't have problems with it being that way.

Offline Matt2008

• LGM Member

MOM answer
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:27 AM »
I tell my people to always give me input. However understand that your input will help guide my decision on what to and not sing.  For instance just because it has a fast beat and it makes you bob yo head does not mean the lyrics are bibically based!! some songs are just for the radio to get you emotionally happy to and from work. Some songs should be kept for your personal enjoyment not for ushering the presence of the Lord in the house!
Pages: [1]   Go Up