LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a new bass  (Read 4179 times)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Looking for a new bass
« on: September 22, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
Brand new, I'm looking at the Fender American Standard 5 string and the Lakland Skyline Daryl Jones 5 string. Used, I'm trying to catch a Roscoe SKB series 5 string for a really good price ($1200 tops). Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming about that one but you never know! Anyway, has anyone here had any experience playing the Lakland Skyline DJ5? If so, how do you like the sound as compared to a Fender Jazz? Both of the models I'm looking at are passive but can have a pre-amp added and pups changed out pretty easily.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Looking for a new bass
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
Brand new, I'm looking at the Fender American Standard 5 string and the Lakland Skyline Daryl Jones 5 string. Used, I'm trying to catch a Roscoe SKB series 5 string for a really good price ($1200 tops). Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming about that one but you never know! Anyway, has anyone here had any experience playing the Lakland Skyline DJ5? If so, how do you like the sound as compared to a Fender Jazz? Both of the models I'm looking at are passive but can have a pre-amp added and pups changed out pretty easily.

I know someone who has that jazz bass, but I'm sure he's not letting it go. He got it for a steal, really. $350!!! Now, if it were me, you'll have that bass shipped to you immediately. He likes it and doesn't want to get rid of it. BTW, the tone of that baby is sweet, especially running through his compressor.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:43:45 PM »

Whats' Good DWBass,I've played the Lakland it is sweet without question I enjoyed the feel and balance of the Axe, compared to the Fender I personally would roll with the Lakland. But everyone has a different ear.
Main5playah

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 07:17:07 PM »
How was the neck profile as compared to the Fender? Thinner? Flatter?

Offline Main5playah

• LGM Member
  • RV-5 Sadowsky

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
How was the neck profile as compared to the Fender? Thinner? Flatter?

The neck actually was a little fatter which I prefer (Big Fingers) but fast, the Fender necks (The new ones anyway) are a bit slimmer.
Main5playah

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:20:10 PM »
I guess I'll have to play them both. I would think the B is better on the DJ and usable on the Fender. I prefer 34" as well but was willing to work with the DJ.

To be continued..................

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:51:20 AM »
you might think i'm nuts, but the Squire Affinity Jazz V is an amazing bass.

Especially seeing that it goes for like $199 brand new.

I can get better tone out of that bass then any "regular" fender.   It's an AMAZING bass with great build quality.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:18:32 AM »
I guess I'll have to play them both. I would think the B is better on the DJ and usable on the Fender. I prefer 34" as well but was willing to work with the DJ.

To be continued..................
whats significantly the difference between a 34" and something else? i believe the other common size is 35".
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline bassksun

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
you might think i'm nuts, but the Squire Affinity Jazz V is an amazing bass.

Especially seeing that it goes for like $199 brand new.

I can get better tone out of that bass then any "regular" fender.   It's an AMAZING bass with great build quality.

+1
I was shocked when I played it. I kept looking at the headstock to see if it really said Squire.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »
I actually have a Squier Deluxe Active 5 string which is amazing for the price. I dig the 19mm spacing on the 34" neck. I owned a Lakland 55-01 for a minute and the neck was comfy but I don't think I got along with the 35" neck very well. I was thinking the Daryl Jones model with the slightly smaller body may make the neck more manageable. The Fenders are not quite 19mm but close (18.5-18.75mm). But I'm hearing the necks are a bit chunkier almost P bass-ish in feel. I was also eyeballing a Peavey Cirrus but I don't think those are 19mm. There is one on TB right now for $699 but I want the wider spacing.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
Oh, I forgot, I'm looking at the MTD Kingston Z series. I know someone here has one.

Offline dremy2006

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Buckeye burl Hand-made......
    • DR Custom Basses

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »
Oh, I forgot, I'm looking at the MTD Kingston Z series. I know someone here has one.
ME. :o.!!! ITS AH GREAT BASS NICE TONE AND VERY LIGHT....
Allowing the Creator To use His Creation To Create for you.....

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 10:44:51 AM »

fyi that's 35"

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »
Yep. I'm willing to try 35" again. I just saw a Lakland JO5 and a DJ5 with pickup covers and wow!! I may just wait for a used one to come up on TB.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
DW or jeremy, since u two are talking about the 35", do one of you have an answer to my question?

whats significantly the difference between a 34" and something else? i believe the other common size is 35".

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
Maybe this will help answer your question.

http://www.glennletsch.com/html%20folder/taming.htm

Personally, it doesn't bother as to which I have. Actually I have both 34 and 35 inch scale basses. I can't tell a difference as of yet, and that's because I don't look for sonic differences.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
DW or jeremy, since u two are talking about the 35", do one of you have an answer to my question?

I started out on 35" and never had a problem going down to a 34" and coming back to a 35".  However once I made the 34" my primary instrument I cannot adjust back to the 35" scale for long periods of time.  My shoulder starts to hurt and my playing hand just doesn't feel right.

I can't explain it, but my body definitely agrees with the 34" for long term playability since I've made the jump and I don't care to go back to 35" at all.  I like not having to stretch super far to get my notes (I'm only 5'8", so I can definitely feel the difference after about 15 minutes )

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »
So if thats the case, then it really depends a lot on the placement of the bridge on the body to determine really the length difference of the neck, right?

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 02:46:03 PM »
So if thats the case, then it really depends a lot on the placement of the bridge on the body to determine really the length difference of the neck, right?

yes, but there's more to it.  The spacing of the frets are differnt measurements for each.

You can't take a 35" and move the bridge and maek it a 34".  It won't work.  You're intonation will be WAAAAY off

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:17 PM »
didnt say that you could just move the bridge back. i know the fret spacing is different, but if the bridge was located further back then the stretch to the first fret wouldnt be as much, because the neck wouldnt protrude as much from the body of the bass.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up