LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dress Code  (Read 3689 times)

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

Dress Code
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
What do yall think, should musicians have a dress code when they are in church and you believe so then what should that be?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Dress Code
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Cover what needs to be covered, but leave enough room for freedom of motion...nothing more uncomfortable than a drummer in a suit jacket, or a guitar/bass player in a choir robe!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
It depends on the church, and the churches culture.
The church I play at doesent have a dress code. Some of the musicians wear Jeans and a blazer on sunday morning. I've never wore jeans to church on sunday, thats just not me. I dont always wear a suit. If its summer I'll wear a polo and slacks, and in the winter I'll wear a sweater over a dress shirt.

At my home church, the MOM has to wear a alb or whatever they call that paticular vestment. When I play there they never asked me to wear one, and if they did I probaly wouldnt. Way too hot under all those clothes plus a robe.

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
if you were the head Musician at your church what would you do if they are not following orders?

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »
if you were the head Musician at your church what would you do if they are not following orders?

Can you be specific?

I would talk to them one on one, and if there was a genuine problem with the dress code, then we would have to work something out. If there was no real problem with the dress code, and they just refused to dress as asked, then I would have to talk to the Pastor about disceplenary (sp) action for being insubordinate.

If any other job had a dress code, they would abide or get fired. They are lucky that they are still allowed to play.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »
What do yall think, should musicians have a dress code when they are in church and you believe so then what should that be?

Be modest. 

No V-Necks and you know you're wildin' when you play the drums or like to lean over when you play the guitar!

No open shirts, fellas.  No Fabio appeal in church.   :D

Short skirts are an oh no-no.

Pants so tight you can see your *ahem*, fellas...please no.

Pants so tight that you'd think the chick was wearing spandex...nopers

I'm not a fan of tube tops in church.

I'm not a fan of thug cartoon t-shirts / bloody murder type dipictions on shirts in church

And that pretty much covers everything!

Offline jjjoe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »
I probably would have to suspend him because if you want to be a leader then you have to be a follower.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:57 PM »

Are you trying to impose a dress code on your musicians at church?
What is it, exactly?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:17:10 PM »
I have been pushing for the musicians to have robes...sleeveless of course.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:30:19 PM »

Sleeveless Robes? Do they even make those?
 ?/?

IMO it is not a good idea to make Bass/Guitar players wear robes. The strap they wear to support the instrument is too binding on the loose-fitting folds - plus the sleeves can interfere with the strings. I suppose this might be true for Drummers (robe could get caught on the drums' edges) and other weight-bearing instruments like tenor sax, etc.

They have closed-sleeve robes for keyboard musicians, but unless robes are the tradition for them I would just say bathe and dress modestly, comfortable but nice, maybe one notch more dressy than the congregation...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »
That would look very dorky. Musicians should not have to wear robes

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:12:45 AM »

That's a dress, bruh.  :o :D :D :D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
That's a dress, bruh.  :o :D :D :D

In that case, half of these Church Musicians wouldnt mind wearing one.

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:19:31 AM »
I believe you shouldn't dress any kind of way. We technically are Levites, in charge of worship. We have to lead pure and holy lifestyles. Holiness is still right. Modest is always hottest. Now concerning church musicians, worship leaders, etc that won't listen to authority (pastor, elders, m.o.m.) then they need to be sat down until they learn respect. Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Just puttin in my two and a half cents.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 08:23:18 AM »
I believe you shouldn't dress any kind of way. We technically are Levites, in charge of worship. We have to lead pure and holy lifestyles. Holiness is still right. Modest is always hottest. Now concerning church musicians, worship leaders, etc that won't listen to authority (pastor, elders, m.o.m.) then they need to be sat down until they learn respect. Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Just puttin in my two and a half cents.

What does clothing  have to do with Holiness? If  wear a suit am I more holy than someone who wears a  tee shirt?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »
What does clothing  have to do with Holiness? If  wear a suit am I more holy than someone who wears a  tee shirt?

C'mon man, i think you understand what he means. :)
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
Be reasonable - try to work things out. If they are hired employees, it's one thing, but most people in Worship Ministry serve as volunteers. Listen to the needs of your musicians. Reach a compromise if you need to - after all, it's a dress code, not Bible.

This issue may be just a symptom of a deeper problem - there may be a power struggle between MOM and musicians going on. Please, ask yourself - is this about keeping a good appearance on the platform, or about enforcing one's agenda to control others?

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
No I'm not saying suits are holy or whatever. I'm saying worship and wanting to please God in every area of your life goes hand in hand. God said be holy for I the Lord am holy. We there to minister to people and to God and if our clothing is a distraction (immodest, whatever) and it offends someone then we have to put it away. And if in the instance that they are being paid, they should know better. If you're a doctor, nurse, Radioshack sales clerk etc then you don't come to work looking any ole kind of way, why not treat going to church the same way. While its not just a job, but a leadership position we as musicians and moms are ministers and need to set the example to the other saints.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 02:46:30 AM »
No I'm not saying suits are holy or whatever. I'm saying worship and wanting to please God in every area of your life goes hand in hand. God said be holy for I the Lord am holy. We there to minister to people and to God and if our clothing is a distraction (immodest, whatever) and it offends someone then we have to put it away. And if in the instance that they are being paid, they should know better. If you're a doctor, nurse, Radioshack sales clerk etc then you don't come to work looking any ole kind of way, why not treat going to church the same way. While its not just a job, but a leadership position we as musicians and moms are ministers and need to set the example to the other saints.

For that matter, jeans can be holy too!...or is that "holey".

Offline sssandy

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
A dress code? Something modest of course - it doesn't have to be robes.  For uniformity, agree on a specific color of top for everyone to wear or something like that.
Join the Tribe & Make Some Noise!
http://www.TribeofNoise.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up