LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I got a choir question?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I got a choir question?
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »
I have a 30 member High school Gospel Choir,and I want to make a frontline (4 people who have there own mic and the rest of the choir sing behind them.. Can i do that? is that the right thing to do I just want the sound fuller
"vision to victory"

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

Re: I got a choir question?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:48:08 PM »
Because it's a high school gospel choir, no.  That is only done for recording purposes.  I think it would cause great dissension if you were to do that; plus you don't have enough members to single out a select few. 

For the fuller sound, you need to teach them blending.  Have them realize that each group needs the support of all members. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
I dont see why not, unless they are not mature enough, then like VT said, there could be a problem.

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 02:02:06 PM »
Can't say that I've ever seen a choir with mics for an individual (or individuals) not singing lead.

Can they share a mic for each section?

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »
Quote from: rut
I got a choir question?

Idk.  Do you?  8)

Offline rut

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
thanks its just sometimes i hardly can hear them
and its hard to teach this gospel choir this year
cause you cant teach "professional" people what to do

Its a challenge but with God I can get through it
"vision to victory"

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
I see choirs do this all the time. They say it helps 'balance' or something, because some members have more voice control than others. Just don't boost the mics so much to the point where those 5 or so people are the only ones you can hear. If possible, mic the choir stand as well.

Offline steven_578

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
I see choirs do this all the time. They say it helps 'balance' or something, because some members have more voice control than others. Just don't boost the mics so much to the point where those 5 or so people are the only ones you can hear. If possible, mic the choir stand as well.

So how do you go about choosing the 4 or 5 people if u want to take that particular route??? Because this was also something i was thinking about myself....
We Serve An Awesome GOD!!!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:03:11 AM »
So how do you go about choosing the 4 or 5 people if u want to take that particular route??? Because this was also something i was thinking about myself....

I guess the ones who are the most experienced. The ones who know how to harmonize very well, the ones who are leaders, and not followers. In some churches, those 5 make up the praise team, and back the pastor up when needed, so there is more expected from them.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »
I understand your reasoning, but remember this is a high school choir.  Feelings are more likely to get hurt and the set up is more different than in church. 
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline Tyron90

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
I am the director of my high school gospel choir and what I did when I was faced with a similar problem I put section mics infront of each section and I had the one that I knew had their notes stand in front by the mics and I had ones you could sing as well stand by them, and it didn't cause any problems.  .

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
I guess the ones who are the most experienced. The ones who know how to harmonize very well, the ones who are leaders, and not followers. In some churches, those 5 make up the praise team, and back the pastor up when needed, so there is more expected from them.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The ones with the most 'control' over their voice. Maybe have chair auditions like they do in band. I'm no M.O.M., so I'm just using selective reasoning here.  :D

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »
Or you could pick out the weak ones. Have em' sing one by one until they understand the volume you want. Or.....you could kick em' to the curb... Just my opinion. ;D

I'm only kidding.... sort of ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up