LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions on a new kit  (Read 6136 times)

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

Suggestions on a new kit
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »
My set was destroyed during Hurricane Ike. so I'm looking for a new shell pack. My range is in the 550-700 range. i am partial to Gretsch and the catalina club 4 piece (will order a custom tom for option)but i also would not mind the 6 piece. Thanks guys I;m also going to purchase a DW 5000 Bass petal. what was your experience with this petal. Thanks fellas

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: Suggestions on a new kit
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:16:36 PM »
Gretsch Catalina Maple or Birch (Tobacco Fade) in a 6 piece configuration consisting of 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, and 14" snare.  You can get this kit for about $650 at Casio Interstate Music.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »
...Yamaha Stage Custom Birch.  Mapex M Birch or Pro M.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:01:08 PM »
I agree with Both of these replies. That Gretsch is a really nice kit. 

1. Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

2. Gretsch Catalina (As Pictured in Sheens post)

3. Pearl Visions Birch 10,12,14,22, 14 Sensitone Snare!

Those three are very good kits..
Richard

Offline NINOdaDRUMMA

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 05:53:03 PM »
i have the gretsch catalina [birch]. And i would definately suggest this kit to anyone who wants great drums at a low price. Ive had mine for about 2 years now and i have had no problems. I have the 6 piece 8, 10, 12, 14, and 14 snare [i dont use].

Offline juSe

• LGM Member
  • Call me juSe Wayne

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:57:08 PM »
Catalina Maple.  You can get the 6 piece for like 700.  Not bad drums.  I'd recommend putting EC2's on them.  They are not bad drums for the price.  I bought a set for my church and they get the job done.
You Are Your Only Limitation!!

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »
Catalina Maple.  You can get the 6 piece for like 700.  Not bad drums.  I'd recommend putting EC2's on them.  They are not bad drums for the price.  I bought a set for my church and they get the job done.

These mid-range Gretsch drums sound HIGH-END man believe me.

Offline smarkland38

• LGM Member
    • myspace.com

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »
Yamaha stage custom Bruh! 10,12,14,17 x 20 bass drum
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS ME!!!

www.myspace.com/sidmark

Offline yamahaboy

• LGM Member
  • I Love Jewels!!

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 09:48:18 AM »
Yamaha stage custom Bruh! 10,12,14,17 x 20 bass drum

They have a 20" Kick?? WOW! I would imagine it could be special ordered I guess, But I wonder if you can buy them off of the floor like that??
Richard

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »

They have a 20" Kick?? WOW! I would imagine it could be special ordered I guess, But I wonder if you can buy them off of the floor like that??

...no its not a special order.  You just have to shop around.  ;) ;D

...I love the Catalina Birch.  Oh yeah, Sonor has a really beautiful looking/sounding Birch kit as well.  Sooo many options.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline mingusfingus

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »
What about Sonor 3007? It`s cheap and made of maple, I believe the same maple all chineese-made drums are built of.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
Yamaha Stage Custom Birch - sound is second and quality to none... offers 20"x17" or 22"x17" with a 5 piece which includes matching birch snare 14"x5"
24"x17" kick and 14"x6.5" steel snare with the 4-piece rock setup (amazing kit that works for jazz, funk/rnb or gospel - add coated G2s and EMAD2 on the batter with nothing inside cut no hole and place a good bass mic in front)... $699 for either shell-pack add on drums are very reasonable http://www.interstatemusic.com /Cascio

Pearl Visions BSX (Birch)

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive SX (22"x20" kick,16"x14" floor tom, 12"x6.5" tom, 10"x6" tom,  13"x6" Metal Works snare

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »
I just purchased a Birch DW pacific today, it was a toss up between the Yamaha and DW. But i talked to my mentor and it was a hard decision but collectively it was determined that you can't go wrong with DW, Besides I got a really good deal also. I also purchased a DW 5000 BP. So thanks fellas for your input.!! I'll send picks. P.S. You can never go wrong with looking to Pawn shops for cymbals, i bought some 14' SABIAN AAXcellerator HI-Hats for $68 regular price @ guitar center about $350. all it needed was some brasso.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 11:06:58 PM »
Lol @ "DW" pacific!!!  I know a few guys like you.  They swear on their mom's grave that they own DW's when they're really just plain ol' pacifics lol!  One guy I know has totally stripped the pacific badges off his kit and strickly calls it a DW lol!!! 

Offline L.V.Drumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 11:50:50 PM »
I just purchased a Birch DW pacific today, it was a toss up between the Yamaha and DW. But i talked to my mentor and it was a hard decision but collectively it was determined that you can't go wrong with DW, Besides I got a really good deal also. I also purchased a DW 5000 BP. So thanks fellas for your input.!! I'll send picks. P.S. You can never go wrong with looking to Pawn shops for cymbals, i bought some 14' SABIAN AAXcellerator HI-Hats for $68 regular price @ guitar center about $350. all it needed was some brasso.

Why? Bearing edges= :-\ You shouldve went with a yamaha the others mentioned or a gretsch catalina maple. Just my opinion.

Offline JHJr

• LGM Member
    • Myspace site

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 10:02:01 PM »
Lol @ "DW" pacific!!!  I know a few guys like you.  They swear on their mom's grave that they own DW's when they're really just plain ol' pacifics lol!  One guy I know has totally stripped the pacific badges off his kit and strickly calls it a DW lol!!! 

;DPoint taken,, i know it's a pacific but I'm too lazy to type it as such on my mobile. :D.  The main thing why i didn't take the yamaha was the price.  I know, I know  " you should have gotten the yamaha." There wasn't much pf a diffrence in the yamaha and PDP as sound and kit make up (both were birch) The factor was the amount of the discount i got and the $100+ price diffrence. But the main thing is that I got a wife and kid that i support plus im in college so money is always an issue besides if i don't like the PDP i can take it back in 30 days and switch it up. so no big deal.   

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

I am with you on this one Sheen but  allow me to give a bit of history on DW's company PDP (Pacific Drums & Percussion).

DW started a line called Workshop which had no reinforcement rings etc and had the oval lug casing yet shared the DW style tom mounts. These were made for the economical drummer that couldn't afford the custom tag of DWs but wanted that quality... though it was lessor (no pitched shells, no exotic veneers etc.).
DWs are entirely made in the U.S.. The Workshop series was sent overseas to Collarlock in Taiwan for production. Collarlock was bought by DW and became Pacific now known as PDP. The birch are still made overseas and the Maple are made in Mexico. They are not however DWs.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »
I am with you on this one Sheen but  allow me to give a bit of history on DW's company PDP (Pacific Drums & Percussion).

DW started a line called Workshop which had no reinforcement rings etc and had the oval lug casing yet shared the DW style tom mounts. These were made for the economical drummer that couldn't afford the custom tag of DWs but wanted that quality... though it was lessor (no pitched shells, no exotic veneers etc.).
DWs are entirely made in the U.S.. The Workshop series was sent overseas to Collarlock in Taiwan for production. Collarlock was bought by DW and became Pacific now known as PDP. The birch are still made overseas and the Maple are made in Mexico. They are not however DWs.

...thus proving the fact that he should've gone with the Yamaha. LOL

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »

;DPoint taken,, i know it's a pacific but I'm too lazy to type it as such on my mobile. :D.  The main thing why i didn't take the yamaha was the price.  I know, I know  " you should have gotten the yamaha." There wasn't much pf a diffrence in the yamaha and PDP as sound and kit make up (both were birch) The factor was the amount of the discount i got and the $100+ price diffrence. But the main thing is that I got a wife and kid that i support plus im in college so money is always an issue besides if i don't like the PDP i can take it back in 30 days and switch it up. so no big deal.   

You made a good choice for the money. Man, I own a PDP maple and I like them. No, PDP are not DW's, but they sound good. No one can front on that. Yes, Yamaha would have been the next level of choice, but like you said, your budget was limited.  All Yamaha is products are over priced from the drums to the keyboards IMHO. I would not pay $600 for a tom, I just can't afford it. Good choice for the $$$ with the PDP. When you can afford a better set, the go hard  ;).

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
Why? Bearing edges= :-\ You shouldve went with a yamaha the others mentioned or a gretsch catalina maple. Just my opinion.
No on the Gretsch Catalina Series. If you look at bearing egdes,  they have wood filler. Catalina series is not in the level as PDP or Yamaha.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up