LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New To Bass  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Chris

• LGM Member
    • http://

New To Bass
« on: November 16, 2004, 08:55:09 AM »
Hi, I am 17 years old and I am pretty new to the bass, I play by ear, and I play the piano, drums, trumpet and trombone. I think I know some stuff about the bass, but I wanted to know if there are any basic things I need to know, to better myself. I have a 5-string bass. So if you could be of any help please do. Thank you in advance and God Bless
God is Still on The Throne!

Offline BigDaddyBass

• LGM Member

New To Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 07:41:09 AM »
what's up Chris.

The way I see it, you already know the basics. Cause if you play the piano, then you should already know the basic basslines to songs. Now all you got to do, it put a little freestlyin' to it, and you there. But the number one thing to do is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! If you don't do that, you will only be embarassing yourself during performances. You really have to buld a feel for your bass. This may sound crazy, but you and your bass must become one. That's the only way you can really be good at it. Nobody should play your bass better than you do. But, if you gonna be a good bass player, I suggest you do it full time. It's like, you got to live it. Cause I sleep, drink, eat, live, etc... Gospel Music. (It sounds crazy but it's true.) And I'm constantly thinking of basslines.

And you got to do your own research, as far as listening to the typical add-ons to basslines according to your genre of music. And try to pickup on basslines, even if it's from a television commercial (you'll be surprised what you learn). I learned a lot of cool grooves from Petsmart commercials.

You got the advantage though playing gospel music. Cause with Gospel music, you can improv almost any type of genre out there, from Hip-Hop to Salsa, to Jazz, to Jazz, to Funk, to all the good stuff out there. So try your best to grasp as much of this as you can. It's the only way, you can become better. It's a good thing that you came to this forum. It's gonna help you alot. Just look back on the past topics, and it should get you on your way. You feel me? Holla!!!!

- Big Dad-E Bass (E)ADG

Offline Chris

• LGM Member
    • http://

New To Bass
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 08:35:25 AM »
Thank you BigDaddyBass. I really appreciate everything that you said. And this website does help a lot. So again Thanx.( I will do the commercial thing)
God is Still on The Throne!
Pages: [1]   Go Up