LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it wrong for the musician not to play behind the pastors sermon!  (Read 2222 times)

Offline yoshiko

• LGM Member

Someone asked me that question in forms to show them in the bible where Jesus preached to the people and music was played behind his message. or any other messengers in the bible it can not be ofunf anywhere. Some believe that you need to hear what the pastor is saying and not with a lot of feedback from the instruments because the word moves the people if he is delivering the word! Comments please

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Is it wrong for the musician not to play behind the pastors sermon!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:23:04 PM »
Someone asked me that question in forms to show them in the bible where Jesus preached to the people and music was played behind his message. or any other messengers in the bible it can not be ofunf anywhere. Some believe that you need to hear what the pastor is saying and not with a lot of feedback from the instruments because the word moves the people if he is delivering the word! Comments please

I don't believe you have to, but it does help things.  At my church the keyboardist doesn't play everytime the pastor gets hype.  However she does do it every once in a while.  Is it wrong either way, no.  It's just non-traditional that's all.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:48 PM »
I think you have to let the spirit move you one way or the other.  My pastor would tell us if he did or did not want any music.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »
I never do it during his sermon. He has never asked me to. he gets "hyped" but doesnt "tune up". I dont like backing people up when they are not in a key.

Now I do do house raising chords at certain times, and Thats the only time I back him up.

I'll have more to say when I have time......

Offline organman88

• LGM Member
    • Kue Musik Entertainment

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:26 PM »
its definately not wrong not to play behind a pastor when he is tuning up or trying to many pastors are tone deaf and jump keys alot and many pastors do it to be like the next one but you can tell the real from the fake, all pastors think can do it and the truth is most cant if you get lost or its hard to keep up its fine to stop but expect funny faces and negative comments regarding your skill level
keyz 4 life

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 02:12:39 PM »
I have like the Perfect system lol (i think hahahaha)

1- I play while pm pastor gets up..he usually sings or somethin
2- Play softly while he talks
3- Keep on playing while he prays
4- Lol play while he talks some MORE.....
5- Depending on which church im at I a) play during the scripture and stop afterwards or b) stop         playing right when he starts to read it
6- keep an ear out for when he tunes up
7- TAKE EM TO CHURCH
Keep It Funky

Offline keyboardking

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:20:32 PM »
it is not wrong to not play behind the preacher...it just enhances wut he is saying...You must just be in touch with the spirit and with the preacher to not take away from what he is saying or wut the spirit is trying to do

Offline momuzik

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »
Someone asked me that question in forms to show them in the bible where Jesus preached to the people and music was played behind his message...
Jesus also didn't use microphones and PA systems, that doesn't mean it's against the bible for us to do so.

Just because something is not in the bible doesn't mean it's not permissable.
For instance, the early church started off going from house to house. So is it unbiblical to worship in a church building?
Sometimes you have to look at the whole picture: e.g. time in history, what were the customs and cultures of that time and people.

As far as backing up the preacher: my music teacher explained to me that the purpose for music behind preaching was to help him regulate his breathing (like calling cadence) so he wouldn't get winded and it also helps keep his voice from getting hoarse (don't know how true this is).

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »
It comes down to the rules of the house. Plain and simple.

My current church, aint NO music durin the word. If y'all seen Dr. Fred price on TV, y'all kno whut i mean.

But my former pastor, Good friend of mine, He loves it. Not necessarily to whoop(altho he can) but, from the concept from the "Tabernacle of David", where music was constant.

If the Set Man of the house, wants it, then provide. If not dont. simple.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
I have like the Perfect system lol (i think hahahaha)

1- I play while pm pastor gets up..he usually sings or somethin
2- Play softly while he talks
3- Keep on playing while he prays
4- Lol play while he talks some MORE.....
5- Depending on which church im at I a) play during the scripture and stop afterwards or b) stop         playing right when he starts to read it
6- keep an ear out for when he tunes up
7- TAKE EM TO CHURCH
Thats exactly it. especially #5. You have to know your enviorment. Some Pastors dont want that kinda stuff, some do.

But I wouldnt play during the scripture readin. I dont like when musicians do that

Offline apostoliczak

• LGM Member
  • not everyone can be a music major...
    • Ars Long, Vita Brevis

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
Well I think its a culture thing. Its typical in an African-American house of worship (depending on denomination) to play behind the preacher and in a Caucasian church to not play behind the preacher. However you got us crazy Apostolics that'll play behind anybody!!! Just make sure it's not for entertainment or show!! Got a funny story to tell yall. So sunday we sang some of them old songs in medley form and after it ended the Spirit got to moving and my Pastor was egging us on to play and my MOM started to play in G this good ole shout and I didn't know how to play with her (I'm a beginner so C is MY key) she was in so I got up off the organ and started shouting and then the Holy Ghost hit me and I started buckin!!! After church my best friend came up and said I thought you did something to your back (I hold one of my hands behind me and then the other hand grabs onto something), then I looked and your head and feet was going to town so I knew you was shouting!! Ha ha ha. Anyways I think playing behind the preacher adds to sermon. That's my 3 cents.
i'm lost in music and i hope no one ever finds me...

Ramar

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:25 PM »

Well let those that believe that go to a church were there are no instruments backing up a preacher!!! plain and simple!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Also, to those just starting out, that may not know wether or not a specific person wants music, you should just move to the organ and wait for a signal. "It is better to be asked up, than to be asked down." You dont wanna get embaressed. And Even if you do get told to stop playing, dont take it pesonal, or get an attitude, because its not about you.

Offline RMS2003

• LGM Member
    • YouTube Page

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »
There is certainly nothing wrong with not having any music during the sermon. In all the churches I've been to, I've never seen a musician backing up the preacher during his sermon. I've been to churches where the organ/piano player would play something soft during the scripture reading. In fact, I used to do this at my former church but eventually got tired of doing it so I stopped and haven't done it since. At the church I'm attending now, we don't play music even during the scripture reading. I'm sure the pastor wouldn't mind, it's just something we don't do.

Offline pianoear2

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »
I also do not think this is right or wrong, I actually have a scripture that might pertain to this subject but I'm still doing some studying, this is from 2kings 3...the first couple of scriptures describes what is going on but 15 is the verse to read.

10And the king of Israel said, Alas! that the LORD hath called these three kings together, to deliver them into the hand of Moab!

11But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the LORD, that we may enquire of the LORD by him? And one of the king of Israel's servants answered and said, Here is Elisha the son of Shaphat, which poured water on the hands of Elijah.

12And Jehoshaphat said, The word of the LORD is with him. So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat and the king of Edom went down to him.

13And Elisha said unto the king of Israel, What have I to do with thee? get thee to the prophets of thy father, and to the prophets of thy mother. And the king of Israel said unto him, Nay: for the LORD hath called these three kings together, to deliver them into the hand of Moab.

14And Elisha said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, I would not look toward thee, nor see thee.

15But now bring me a minstrel. And it came to pass, when the minstrel played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him.   

16And he said, Thus saith the LORD, Make this valley full of ditches.

17For thus saith the LORD, Ye shall not see wind, neither shall ye see rain; yet that valley shall be filled with water, that ye may drink, both ye, and your cattle, and your beasts.

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam
    • Sam's Gospel Music Course

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »
Sometimes we need scripture to reprove and rebuke our questioning thoughts. I did some Internet research and found these two site that have some real scriptural based references I believe might help add to this discussion.

http://net-burst.net/dove/ch4a.htm
http://www.spiritwinddance.com/playing.htm

I love music, any kind of music.

Offline Wash

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »
Sometimes we need scripture to reprove and rebuke our questioning thoughts. I did some Internet research and found these two site that have some real scriptural based references I believe might help add to this discussion.

http://net-burst.net/dove/ch4a.htm
http://www.spiritwinddance.com/playing.htm

Thanks for this information Sam.   God Bless

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Well I think its a culture thing. Its typical in an African-American house of worship (depending on denomination) to play behind the preacher and in a Caucasian church to not play behind the preacher. However you got us crazy Apostolics that'll play behind anybody!!! Just make sure it's not for entertainment or show!! Got a funny story to tell yall. So sunday we sang some of them old songs in medley form and after it ended the Spirit got to moving and my Pastor was egging us on to play and my MOM started to play in G this good ole shout and I didn't know how to play with her (I'm a beginner so C is MY key) she was in so I got up off the organ and started shouting and then the Holy Ghost hit me and I started buckin!!! After church my best friend came up and said I thought you did something to your back (I hold one of my hands behind me and then the other hand grabs onto something), then I looked and your head and feet was going to town so I knew you was shouting!! Ha ha ha. Anyways I think playing behind the preacher adds to sermon. That's my 3 cents.

OMGosh dude this was funny as heck!!!

:D :D :D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up