LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easier to go to Keys to Guitar or Guitar to Keys?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline wishicouldplay

• LGM Member

Easier to go to Keys to Guitar or Guitar to Keys?
« on: November 04, 2008, 05:28:39 PM »
Is it easier to learn keys first and then guitar?  or Guitar and then keys?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Easier to go to Keys to Guitar or Guitar to Keys?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Different techniques - Guitar is struuming across strings w/ a pick in your right hand while pressing down the fingers of your left on the fretboard. Keyboard -  just select  the sound and press the keys, using all fingers and thumbs. But keyboard is more complex.

Guitar - learn a few chords to strum along w/simple songs. No music reading required to do chords.

Keyboard - can learn chords with keyboard TAB (like at www.echords.com ) or more complex using number system, letter charts as found on LGM, or classical Treble/Bass Clef notation. Lots of Gospel is done by ear (rather than reading music) but one has to learn to read notation to play Classical music...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »
I'd say learn the keyboard first. That way you'll be more versatile if you eventually learn the guitar.

I will say this from what i noticed, it is slighlty arder to start playing keyboard after you learn guitar cuz on guitar you are used to your hands playing one shape for a chord or scale. On keys its not that easy. You can't just memorize shapes and stuff, you have to actually know them.

As with any thing in life though, the firs few times are going to be your easiest. The learning curve gets steeper the further up you go.

The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline wishicouldplay

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I have a rather large musical background but i'm struggling with playing the keys.  My musical background is in trombone and i'm an above average player i'd say, but i'm not playing chords with it.... only one note at a time.   

I've played a few songs for my church in the key of C (Thank you Lord, Open the Floodgates), but I'm not grasping the next step.   I don't know what i need to do to make my chords fuller or to stop playing the melody throughout the song, but i don't know how to do that.  When I try to practice, I feel that i'm not accomplishing anything because i'm not getting any better.

I know the guitar isn't the magic piece to the puzzle, but i'm trying not to get frustrated with music altogether.    I just bought a Yamaha electric with a small amp so I already have my equipment.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I have a rather large musical background but i'm struggling with playing the keys.  My musical background is in trombone and i'm an above average player i'd say, but i'm not playing chords with it.... only one note at a time.   

I've played a few songs for my church in the key of C (Thank you Lord, Open the Floodgates), but I'm not grasping the next step.   I don't know what i need to do to make my chords fuller or to stop playing the melody throughout the song, but i don't know how to do that.  When I try to practice, I feel that i'm not accomplishing anything because i'm not getting any better.

I know the guitar isn't the magic piece to the puzzle, but i'm trying not to get frustrated with music altogether.    I just bought a Yamaha electric with a small amp so I already have my equipment.

You have a music background, that's a plus. I would advice you to chord out how you would normally play a song and I or someone else can show you how make it sound fuller. Usually an added ninth, or added 7th can give a chord a fuller sound. You can also try inverting your chords.  Examples:

C-E-G  TO  C-E-G-B (ADDED 7TH)
C-E-G  TO  C-D-E-G (ADDED 9TH)

Just follow your ears

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
Yeah i understand that playing the melody with teh song thing. I never did it myself but people who did it said its a hard habit to break. What i usually try and do is play chords with the melody on top.

I suggest you get a DVD like Gospelkeys 200 if you are planning on playing keys. Guitar is great but it may take a year before you can actually play anything with proficiency.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
If you've played trombone in band, you have an advantage in keyboard - you can read Bass Clef. Treble Clef is similar, but pitched a third (three letters) lower - if it looks like an A in Bass Clef, that's a F in Treble. The complexity is in both hands playing different notes..

Offline wishicouldplay

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 06:17:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for their advice!

I actually took piano lessons at age 11 or so.  I didn't learn a thing.  My piano teacher taught my brother who is quite gifted in organ/piano and she thought I had that same gift.  I ended up memorizing what she played and played horribly.  I probably never got past a beginner 3 book.  I joined the band later and was an all state trombone player and drum major.  I learned how to read music in both clefs (however, i'm much better in bass naturally).   I took lessons again about 3 years ago for about 6 months and I was learning a LOT from that teacher but I found out I was having a kid and had to cut all extra expenses.   He taught me what i know now about chording, which is very little for 6 months of practice.   

I think I have the basic concept down.  I think I just need some guidance to develop more.  My first love is organ/piano and i'd really like to play it but i get discouraged each time i sit down at a piano because I don't know what i should be practicing.  I was going to take the guitar and try it so I won't fully quit trying to play.

I'm going to look into the gospelDVD suggestion.  I thought it would be beyond my level.  I thought those were for the more intermediate players.   I'm going to try jonesl78 suggestion of adding the 7th and 9th to my chords when i practice.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 08:33:49 AM »
To tell the truth, if you can still afford it the i suggest that you get a teacher.

Or another thing you can do is hook yourself up with a church musician and ask him/her to start to teach you how to play basic chords and songs. This is what will help you more. The Gospelkeys are not that hard at all. A pre-knowledge of music would certainly help though.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:59:40 AM »
Suggestion - try going from chord to chord (progressions - can use slow worship songs). It's like shifting gears in a car; your hands get used to moving around on the keyboard.
Above all, teacher or no teacher, don't give up! You can only get better!

Keep playing, even if it's just you and the Lord...
Pages: [1]   Go Up