LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: modulating  (Read 1740 times)

Offline jude63

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

modulating
« on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:57 AM »
Is there a hard and fast rule to mudulating to another key? I know the standard way is to play the dominant chord of the key youre moving to but....should you go up 1 semi tone or should you modulate to whereever you want? also does a singer have a "logical" key that they modulate to?

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: modulating
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 11:05:46 AM »
Is there a hard and fast rule to mudulating to another key? I know the standard way is to play the dominant chord of the key youre moving to but....should you go up 1 semi tone or should you modulate to whereever you want? also does a singer have a "logical" key that they modulate to?

Basically, u can modulate wherever u want. Just make sure the transition works for your choir or singers.

There are logical modulations, like going to the dominant, or switching from minor to major (or vice versa), going to the sub-dominant, half-step up, whole step up, etc. Then, there are those funky modulations like modulating down, going up more than a whole step, successive modulations in a row, etc.

It all depends on what u want to do man.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline jude63

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
cool, thanks again. Then you have the singers that modulate without even knowing it, haha

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
cool, thanks again. Then you have the singers that modulate without even knowing it, haha

Yeah, LOL. :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up