LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THOMAS PRIDGEN AHH MAN!!!!!  (Read 26339 times)

TheyCryWhenIPlay

Re: THOMAS PRIDGEN AHH MAN!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Amazing, really.

Based off of feel alone, Thomas has become my second favorite drummer after Chris Dave. The reason it's amazing is, when I first heard Thomas Pridgen play on that Gospel Chops clip, I thought he had talent, but his playing gave me an unusually empty feeling.

...kind of amazing that he's now my second favorite drummer BASED on his feel.

My ONLY gripe is, he has a nice feel, but he seems to have a little issue with precision. Whether it be endurance issues, timing issues, etc, etc, etc ... he'll sometimes stop in the middle of playing. That's sort of frustrating for me because of how much I connect with the feel of his playing - and you don't want to experience any obvious glitches.

Reminds me of a classical pianist named Alfred Cortot. One critic said, "He plays a lot of  wrong notes, but the ones he play right sound better than anyone else's."

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »
Amazing, really.

Based off of feel alone, Thomas has become my second favorite drummer after Chris Dave. The reason it's amazing is, when I first heard Thomas Pridgen play on that Gospel Chops clip, I thought he had talent, but his playing gave me an unusually empty feeling.

...kind of amazing that he's now my second favorite drummer BASED on his feel.

My ONLY gripe is, he has a nice feel, but he seems to have a little issue with precision. Whether it be endurance issues, timing issues, etc, etc, etc ... he'll sometimes stop in the middle of playing. That's sort of frustrating for me because of how much I connect with the feel of his playing - and you don't want to experience any obvious glitches.

Reminds me of a classical pianist named Alfred Cortot. One critic said, "He plays a lot of  wrong notes, but the ones he play right sound better than anyone else's."

Now my respect for you has reached a new level.  I am in total agreement.  I have never been the one to say it but the above statement is true to the bone. 

Now lets get to the reason why I think he stops in the middle of his feel.  I really dont care what anyone thinks so Im just gonna go ahead and say this.  Thomas is holding himself back due to all the smoking.  He would flat out be so much better if he put the blunts down.  Anyone who can remember will testify to this.  Nobody.  Absolutely nobody wanted to see the young Thomas.  13 year old Thomas was not the cat to sit down with in a shed.  There was no one at GMWA on his level at that time.  He's still my favorite next to Chris Dave but I would like to see this cat rise above the non sense.  And for all you young musicians out there, just say no.  That crap is not worth it, and it does not increase your creativity.  It handicaps you.  Plus Im just sick of musicians coming in church smellin like weed but thats another story.  Alright Im done for now.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »
Now my respect for you has reached a new level.  I am in total agreement.  I have never been the one to say it but the above statement is true to the bone. 

Now lets get to the reason why I think he stops in the middle of his feel.  I really dont care what anyone thinks so Im just gonna go ahead and say this.  Thomas is holding himself back due to all the smoking.  He would flat out be so much better if he put the blunts down.  Anyone who can remember will testify to this.  Nobody.  Absolutely nobody wanted to see the young Thomas.  13 year old Thomas was not the cat to sit down with in a shed.  There was no one at GMWA on his level at that time.  He's still my favorite next to Chris Dave but I would like to see this cat rise above the non sense.  And for all you young musicians out there, just say no.  That crap is not worth it, and it does not increase your creativity.  It handicaps you.  Plus Im just sick of musicians coming in church smellin like weed but thats another story.  Alright Im done for now.

TRUTH!! I agree 100%!
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »
Just a heads up...
You can watch Thomas' complete solo on the drumchannel here:

http://www.drumchannel.com/entertainment/17119.aspx

it's longer than the original ;)
Just play music...

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »

LOL This reminds me of a story. I was talking to this guy after a gig once. I compliment him and the first thing he says is something along the lines of "all the glory to God man! It's all for God man!"

Then I'm all what next? He says "I'm gonna go home and smoke some weed and kick down a few beers that's whats next"

Homie had me scratchin my head.

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 04:52:55 PM »
LOL This reminds me of a story. I was talking to this guy after a gig once. I compliment him and the first thing he says is something along the lines of "all the glory to God man! It's all for God man!"

Then I'm all what next? He says "I'm gonna go home and smoke some weed and kick down a few beers that's whats next"

Homie had me scratchin my head.

Woops. Story doesn't make much sense. He was playing the drums at the gig, keeping a nice lil' pocket moving.

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
Just a heads up...
You can watch Thomas' complete solo on the drumchannel here:

http://www.drumchannel.com/entertainment/17119.aspx

it's longer than the original ;)

See...I was just starting to get back to my regular sleeping habits, and then you go and find this. Thanks a bunch Jr  >:( :D
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline JrDADrumma

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »
See...I was just starting to get back to my regular sleeping habits, and then you go and find this. Thanks a bunch Jr  >:( :D

Aye I'm sorry man...let's just say I felt...compelled... ;D ;D :D ;)
Just play music...

Offline yo mama

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2008, 03:00:29 AM »

im goin to hurt your feelings

ive played all over the world and ive never felt judged and criticize by anyone harder than "church people" why is that??? im just a straight black male with a independent mind,dreads, likes to smoke that cali cali and loves john bohnam ..sorry im not good enough for you.. ;)
people with your mentality is the exactly why great musicians wont and dont play in church matter fact this is why regualar people dont show interest in going to church an
i wont comment on what chris does but you fools are really dumb....or really uninformed...
im bout to listen to cream now while you guys put on your favorite ricky dillard record!!! ;D ;D

i rather smoke weed than be a homo choir director...  alright im done for now :-X

Offline CARLISLE

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2008, 03:13:06 AM »

ive played all over the world and ive never felt judged and criticize by anyone harder than "church people" why is that??? im just a straight black male with a independent mind,dreads, likes to smoke that cali cali and loves john bohnam ..sorry im not good enough for you.. ;)
people with your mentality is the exactly why great musicians wont and dont play in church matter fact this is why regualar people dont show interest in going to church an
i wont comment on what chris does but you fools are really dumb....or really uninformed...
im bout to listen to cream now while you guys put on your favorite ricky dillard record!!! ;D ;D

i rather smoke weed than be a homo choir director...  alright im done for now :-X
;D this gon be good, but hes right chris does blow
You can make it happen; whatever you want

Bear..    http://www.myspace.com/lintonlouise1

Offline CARLISLE

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 03:24:18 AM »

ive played all over the world and ive never felt judged and criticize by anyone harder than "church people" why is that??? im just a straight black male with a independent mind,dreads, likes to smoke that cali cali and loves john bohnam ..sorry im not good enough for you.. ;)people with your mentality is the exactly why great musicians wont and dont play in church matter fact this is why regualar people dont show interest in going to church an

?/? do you have to have locs,or dreads, and smoke to have a independent mind. hmm?
You can make it happen; whatever you want

Bear..    http://www.myspace.com/lintonlouise1

Offline djdavis

• LGM Member
  • Me Sheddin
    • http://www.myspace.com/davidjdavis

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 07:31:24 AM »

is this even thomas?

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2008, 11:44:45 AM »

I don't think anybody here was judging you... I don't know of anyone here that dosen't like your playing. From what I've seen you seem to be a pretty cool cat. The fact is weed kills brain cells and people who smoke it are limiting themselves mentaly. This is a fact not an opinion or a judgment.
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline SneakerHead

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2008, 12:17:01 PM »
Lol I'm glad he didn't see my little post..........or did he???

Dude-on-drums I agree with you 110%.
"Style changes, but self-expression is consistent."
                    -Pharrell Williams

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »

Stop looking at us like church people man. Try looking at us like people first. Yes, no doubt there are self-righteous, proud "church people" but, that has no play in what d-o-d said.

Bro, your welcome here man. Watch yourself on the name calling though, I almost got the boot for that yo!

I would like to apologize for the critical church people you speak of. I'm a Christian myself and just know those who truly follow Christ know how messed up they are, they know how broken they really truly are, and all the professing wacko christians are the ones passing judgments on everybody.

Anyway, if you are the Pridgen himself, stick around dawg!

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2008, 12:43:28 PM »
That was heartfelt, Audio...
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »
I don't think anybody here was judging you... I don't know of anyone here that dosen't like your playing. From what I've seen you seem to be a pretty cool cat. The fact is weed kills brain cells and people who smoke it are limiting themselves mentaly. This is a fact not an opinion or a judgment.

I agree. No one is judging....the issue has to do more with health and mental well being than anything else. I've seen so many talented musicians fall by the way side or see their careers cut short term because of some bad decisions or addictions. We would like to see all independent black or whatever race of musicians continue to become greatest they can be.

We are pulling for Thomas, or whoever is at that level, stage, and platform to make it and be the best. D-O-D's statement is 100% valid. We all have areas we can do better to make ourselves better and we owe it to ourselves and God who gave us the talents and abilities, to be good stewards and take care of what we have. 

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »
LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaah fret you wild dawg where do you get your material from?...

man i dont know if that even really is thomas.

anyway smoking weed is not good you get tired cause you smoke to much weed idk how is that judging but ok...  :-\  :)

this a funny thread...

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »
LOL!!!

What's funny to me is that as soon as one of these "Elite pro drummers" name is mentioned in a not so positive light, they show up quick fast. Then they label the fam on here as "chruch drummers", like that's a negetive thing. And then, they forget how we all give props and much respect to them for their skills. So funny  :D!!!

I know I don't care who smokes bud or drink or whatever. Do you. We all have our habits, bad or good. I have mine, I just choose not to pubicize my business on the World Wide Web  :-X. You gots to be kiddin' me? I ain't about to have the FBI knockin' on my door talkin' about let's go  ?/?. Yeah right  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Darrin is going back to lurker status and go get this money playing drums....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up