LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Micheal Bereal or Derrick Jackson  (Read 8642 times)

Rjthakid

Re: Micheal Bereal or Derrick Jackson
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 08:35:46 AM »
...here we go...AGAIN!... :D

Oh no we don't!

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
Remember these our your own opinions so if you think Quennel G is better that Derrick or Micheal hey thats your opinion. I'm just saying that I dont think that he is. Im not really into runs I love hearing chords anybody can run but can your brain pick out them chords. Thats all Im saying. Now he can play yes without a doubt but I just dont think he colder than Mike or Derrick.
A Minstrel who loves God. Remember to learn to play in every key!!!

Rjthakid

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »
Remember these our your own opinions so if you think Quennel G is better that Derrick or Micheal hey thats your opinion. I'm just saying that I dont think that he is. Im not really into runs I love hearing chords anybody can run but can your brain pick out them chords. Thats all Im saying. Now he can play yes without a doubt but I just dont think he colder than Mike or Derrick.

FIRST of all, anybody can run, but I haven't seen another gospel musician whose fingers are as fast as Q's.  Sebastian, who has done videos with PJ, John Peters, Eddie Howard, etc, etc, MARVELLED at his hand speed on the DVD. 
SECOND: Quennel's chords are out of this WORLD.  Bro.  If you saw the chords that Q played on his DVD......   :-X

Once you reach the level of mastery that Derrick and Quennel have reached, all the talk about who's "better" really becomes subjective.

Quennel sounds better in my ears.  Derrick sounds better in yours.

Music is not like math.  In math there are no gray areas.  There's right and wrong.  In music there are so many shades and colors.  Things that I love you might hate.  Things that you love I might hate.  Like a fingerprint, two master musicians will approach a song two different ways.  You prefer Derrick's approach, which is cool.  Quennel even made reference to Derrick on his DVD.  As he should.  He's an amazing, amazing musician.

Did you get Quennel's DVD?  Did you?!?!?!

If you haven't picked it up I strongly suggest you do.  You may end up changing your mind.   :D

But in the end, neither of us are 'right', because music ain't math.

Offline brutha28

• LGM Member
  • "Be healed, be delivered, and be set free"

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »
FIRST of all, anybody can run, but I haven't seen another gospel musician whose fingers are as fast as Q's.  Sebastian, who has done videos with PJ, John Peters, Eddie Howard, etc, etc, MARVELLED at his hand speed on the DVD. 
SECOND: Quennel's chords are out of this WORLD.  Bro.  If you saw the chords that Q played on his DVD......   :-X

Once you reach the level of mastery that Derrick and Quennel have reached, all the talk about who's "better" really becomes subjective.

Music is not like math.  In math there are no gray areas.  There's right and wrong.  In music there are so many shades and colors.  Things that I love you might hate.  Things that you love I might hate.  Like a fingerprint, two master musicians will approach a song two different ways.  You prefer Derrick's approach, which is cool.  Quennel even made reference to Derrick on his DVD.  As he should.  He's an amazing, amazing musician.

If you haven't picked it up I strongly suggest you do.  You may end up changing your mind.   :D

To be honest,  All I see from Q is really fast hands and great accuracy and timing however from a fundamental point a view most of the things he is doing is more like a showcase or something that would not really fit in a song or a masterpiece if you were seriously recording. 

I look at Derrick Jackson and a comparison and contrast with his outake on piano and a organ.  Can you see the difference?

Derrick on Organ

Derrick on Piano

Steven P.

Peace N' Hairgrease

Offline brutha28

• LGM Member
  • "Be healed, be delivered, and be set free"

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:34 PM »
I think another good sign of a great musican/organist/pianist is his ability to accompany other instruments.  No one is better hands down at that then Dr. Jackson at making the other components stand out.  Yes some may say Q, and Mike possibly have a great new intuitive sound but how well do they sound implemented into a band or orchestral choir.   ;)
Steven P.

Peace N' Hairgrease

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 04:27:15 PM »
SECOND: Quennel's chords are out of this WORLD.  Bro.  If you saw the chords that Q played on his DVD......   :-X

If you haven't picked it up I strongly suggest you do.  You may end up changing your mind.   :D

I agree

Thats probaly why Sjon made a rule in the piano room that states not to campare musicians. No two musicians are alike. And who we think is the best is all based on individual preference

As for Quennel, I've never heard him in an actual service, but his dvd is just plain crazy. I have it in my computer at work, and I'm about to listen to it as soon as everyone goes home!

Rjthakid

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »
I think another good sign of a great musican/organist/pianist is his ability to accompany other instruments.  No one is better hands down at that then Dr. Jackson at making the other components stand out.  Yes some may say Q, and Mike possibly have a great new intuitive sound but how well do they sound implemented into a band or orchestral choir.   ;)

Mike Bereal is great on recordings.

As for Band or Orchestral, I think the "Gospel goes Classical" album that Q played on falls into this category.

Q was also one of the Producers of Juanita's latest album "Pour my love on You". 

This is more than just a cat with fast runs.  As i said he has excellent taste.

We could really go back and forth on this one, but let's just say that they're all EXCELLENT musicians.

Rjthakid

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
I agree

Thats probaly why Sjon made a rule in the piano room that states not to campare musicians. No two musicians are alike. And who we think is the best is all based on individual preference

As for Quennel, I've never heard him in an actual service, but his dvd is just plain crazy. I have it in my computer at work, and I'm about to listen to it as soon as everyone goes home!

Yea, that DVD really is ridiculous.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 04:49:39 PM »
Yea, that DVD really is ridiculous.

I just wish they would have used a better organ. That diversi sounds horrible without a leslie.

Offline pianomanbaby

• LGM Member
  • The Minstrel

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »
Mike Bereal is great on recordings.

As for Band or Orchestral, I think the "Gospel goes Classical" album that Q played on falls into this category.

Q was also one of the Producers of Juanita's latest album "Pour my love on You". 

This is more than just a cat with fast runs.  As i said he has excellent taste.

We could really go back and forth on this one, but let's just say that they're all EXCELLENT musicians.
Im with that lets just say that they are all EXCELLENT musicians just like everyone in this room is an excellent musician.
A Minstrel who loves God. Remember to learn to play in every key!!!

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member
  • Yaron MusicCo. Gospels Fresh Sound!

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
What does 'presence' have to do with anything?  lol. 
Man, this ain't a popularity contest!!!!   :D

Have you seen Q's DVD? 

!!!

I didn't say anything about chords and runs...EVERYBODY who's well-known in the Gospel arena has those.   :-\

His ear, his taste, and his musicality is from another world.

But if we WERE talking about chords and runs, Quennel would still be the best out there.  Fastest, most accurate runs out there today.

Derrick Jackson is an amazing musician.  I'd put him in the top 3 Gospel Organists on the scene right now.

This response shows me exactly what im talking talking about

Presence has alot to do with being a musician and why some of your local "hottest cats" cant get a gig but let me break down for you

What is a person doing if their presence isnt felt? seemingly just taking up space

heres a list of musicians you should check out

Derrick jackson
Butch Woodie
Melvin Crispell
Terry Baker
Terrence Palmer
Jonathan Dubose
Asaph Ward
Alex Ward
the Neuble (not sure on spelling) brothers
Reggie Parker
Mike Taylor
Byron Williams

All these cats can sit down on their respective instrument and play the simplest songs in thee most simpliest way and still have a powerful and moving ministerial experience

Q. can play circles around half the cats listed on my list and i think he is one of the dopest cats i have ever heard and met but he has yet to make his presence felt, matter of fact heres a real question for you......

What have you learned from Q's DVD????? even on the dvd when asked to break something down everytime he struggled..........and I love this cat one of the few young guys who i dont question integrity about and he will get there but now he's not there and he'll tell you the same

most of these cats if we tell the truth can get cut up and out-chopped on their instrument by alot of other players but when you get to a certain musical maturity you'll understand what presence really is

ill end by saying a school ground/and 1 ball player would rather be in the nba making nba money but they arent so when you can figure out why then you wouldve aged in wisdom my friend

let me end by saying you made a statement in regards to a popularity contest, but the funny thing neither Q. or D.J. can be considered "popular", simply bcuz they are not. so come on i challenge you to consider what i have wrote and not respond in a manner to save face

Rjthakid

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:05 AM »

Presence has alot to do with being a musician and why some of your local "hottest cats" cant get a gig but let me break down for you

What is a person doing if their presence isnt felt? seemingly just taking up space

Derrick jackson
Butch Woodie
Melvin Crispell
Terry Baker
Terrence Palmer
Jonathan Dubose
Asaph Ward
Alex Ward
Reggie Parker
Mike Taylor
Byron Williams

All these cats can sit down on their respective instrument and play the simplest songs in thee most simpliest way and still have a powerful and moving ministerial experience

Q. can play circles around half the cats listed on my list and i think he is one of the dopest cats i have ever heard and met but he has yet to make his presence felt, matter of fact heres a real question for you......

What have you learned from Q's DVD????? even on the dvd when asked to break something down everytime he struggled..........and I love this cat one of the few young guys who i dont question integrity about and he will get there but now he's not there and he'll tell you the same

most of these cats if we tell the truth can get cut up and out-chopped on their instrument by alot of other players but when you get to a certain musical maturity you'll understand what presence really is

ill end by saying a school ground/and 1 ball player would rather be in the nba making nba money but they arent so when you can figure out why then you wouldve aged in wisdom my friend

let me end by saying you made a statement in regards to a popularity contest, but the funny thing neither Q. or D.J. can be considered "popular", simply bcuz they are not. so come on i challenge you to consider what i have wrote and not respond in a manner to save face

...done.

:D

I COULD respond to every point you made, but.....

Both views have already been clearly expressed, so I'll just Tap Out.

The End.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 09:38:10 AM »

Derrick jackson
Butch Woodie
Melvin Crispell
Terry Baker
Terrence Palmer
Jonathan Dubose
Asaph Ward
Alex Ward
Reggie Parker
Mike Taylor
Byron Williams

So how many services have you attended with Quennel on the Organ? He used to play in NY, and when you mention his name, even non musicians comment on the anointing  he has when playing in a service. I've never heard a musician who plays crazy chords 100% of the time, and sure quennel is no exception

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
So how many services have you attended with Quennel on the Organ? He used to play in NY, and when you mention his name, even non musicians comment on the anointing  he has when playing in a service. I've never heard a musician who plays crazy chords 100% of the time, and sure quennel is no exception

quite a few my friend 1st im from NY so yea i knew of quennel before any wheatworks videos or him playing for bynum, 2nd u can even use Lgm archives to show Q. wasnt really on anyones lips from a a couple years ago and i remember almost a thread a week of "who's your favorite organist" (he did make mines though ;D)

Q. is one of the dopest cats to me (another sports analogy coming kobe is no jordan) and imho thats what i see when Q. is compared to a cat like DJ sorry if that doest rub anyone the right way cuz they are hyped on Q's DVD

i didnt say he was wasnt anointed far from it, he has anointing for real. we so easily confuse anointing for skills and it is possible to have skills without anointing

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »

quite a few my friend 1st im from NY so yea i knew of quennel before any wheatworks videos or him playing for bynum, 2nd u can even use Lgm archives to show Q. wasnt really on anyones lips from a a couple years ago and i remember almost a thread a week of "who's your favorite organist" (he did make mines though ;D)

Q. is one of the dopest cats to me (another sports analogy coming kobe is no jordan) and imho thats what i see when Q. is compared to a cat like DJ sorry if that doest rub anyone the right way cuz they are hyped on Q's DVD

i didnt say he was wasnt anointed far from it, he has anointing for real. we so easily confuse anointing for skills and it is possible to have skills without anointing

We know Kobe aint no Jordan..but in that same manner neither is Derrick Jackson

Jordan=The best ever, no comparisons (no matter how much people push it) just the man.  DJ is SWEEEEEEETTTTTTT but I personally dont consider him to be the absolute sweetest, untouchable, OMG OMG OMG cat ever lol....I mean I like Eddi Brown more than anyboy yall done talked about, but thats my opinion lol

....Its just his season....I distinctly remeber when I ws a young cat every time there was a big cogic convention up my way, Moses Tyson would be on.....then it became Derrick Jackson...pretty soon im sure it will be sombody else.
Keep It Funky

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
I'm still confused about this "presence" you talk about.

Offline musiqisme26

• LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
We know Kobe aint no Jordan..but in that same manner neither is Derrick Jackson

Jordan=The best ever, no comparisons (no matter how much people push it) just the man.  DJ is SWEEEEEEETTTTTTT but I personally dont consider him to be the absolute sweetest, untouchable, OMG OMG OMG cat ever lol....I mean I like Eddi Brown more than anyboy yall done talked about, but thats my opinion lol

....Its just his season....I distinctly remeber when I ws a young cat every time there was a big cogic convention up my way, Moses Tyson would be on.....then it became Derrick Jackson...pretty soon im sure it will be sombody else.

i think we are on the same page for the most part...................most part

I'm still confused about this "presence" you talk about.

it comes with wisdom and time................ ;)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »
well please share some of that wisdom :D

Rjthakid

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »
well please share some of that wisdom :D

Yea.  PLEASE!

musiqisme26, you said:

Q. can play circles around half the cats listed on my list and i think he is one of the dopest cats i have ever heard and met

Then you said:

i didnt say he was wasnt anointed far from it, he has anointing for real.

He has the Skill...which means he's well-versed, VERY capable.

He has the Annointing...which means he's not playing from his flesh, but the Holy Spirit moves in his playing.

What is 'presence'?  Break it down for us.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up