LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kit setups -- Diagrams of my various setups of my main kit -- SabianKnight  (Read 923 times)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

I did this a while ago using the kit configurator on DW's web site. This was well before Yamaha added a kit configurator to their web site. List as well are the cymbals. Maybe this will give you guys some ideas on your own setups.

- Sabe

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Cool configurations Sabe!

What is your tuning on the toms? I'm particularly interested in whether you tune to pitch.

Does the odd intervals (ie 12, 13, 16) have a particular sound that you like?

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

Cool configurations Sabe!

What is your tuning on the toms? I'm particularly interested in whether you tune to pitch.

Does the odd intervals (ie 12, 13, 16) have a particular sound that you like?

Thanks.

This kit was a double bass kit but I opted to get the matching Dave Weckl snare instead of the second kick so it was basically a standard sized rock setup just with a tasty snare. Yamaha Maple Customs however have a great tone. The 12", 13" rack tom 16" floor is they same as Dennis uses with the exception of the 10" rack and 14" and 18" floors. Because of the broad dynamic range, full sound and overall power I get I like the sizes and plan to add a 10" rack and 14" floor. The low end that the 13" is capable of allows me to get a pretty descent pitch separation from the 12". Because of this I can use it as a hanging floor tom. Both the 12" and 13" sit solidly in their individual ranges nicely distanced from the 16"x16" floor.

I sometimes do the Billy Ward method of tuning which places the snare between the 12" and 13". Mostly I tune my 14"x5" Weckl higher than the 12" rack concentrating on separating the snare , 12" rack and 16" floor then fitting the 13" in between the 12" and 16". I place my 14"x3.5" free-floater above my 14"x5" and then place my 12"x6" Musashi Oak above the free-floater. So my melodic order goes Musashi oak, copper Free-Floater, Weckl maple, 12" rack, 13" rack, 16" floor, 22"x18" kick.

All that being said This is tom setup is not for most of today's youth oriented hip-hop/rnb (but it is great for grown folk's music, LOL). A 10", 12" rack tom combo would be more ideal so I hope to find another 1997 era Maple Custom (because of the original aluminum die-cast hoops) otherwise I will have to change out my hoops on my kit to add a newer tom(s). My 12' has such a rich tone that it really doesn't like being tuned high so adding the 10" for the higher pitches of today's productions is necessity outside of triggering.

In a large venue or limited or unmic'd venue my kit is the truth. It projects huge sound when necessary. 7-ply toms and snare, 10-ply kick in the world's best maple... unstoppable (though very controllable through head choices) mid-range provides a melodic cushion you wouldn't believe. Well actually you would being that I am sure you have heard Weckl, Dafnis Prieto and countless others rocking this kit.

Current head combo is coated G2/G1, ported Yamaha logo head/EMAD batter w/big ring. Genera HD/Hazy 300 on Weckl. Genera/Hazy 300 on copper Free-Floater. G2/Hazy 200 on Musashi. Stock wires on all.

About to change to coated G Plus/J1 etched on toms or coated G Plus/EC Reso and EQ1/EMAD2. Kelly Shu internal mount with Audix D6 placed inside kick. Weckl head combo will stay the same and new factory wires. Genera/Hazy 300 for 12"x6" Musashi with the addition of PureSound Equalizer wires. Genera HD/Hazy 300 on copper Free-Floater.

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

Wow! Thats amazing!

Thanks for sharing, its given me some ideas about my own setup.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

Wow! Thats amazing!

Thanks for sharing, its given me some ideas about my own setup.

I am glad you got something out of this. whenever people here post picks of there setups I always take note to see if there is something that I can use to change up my voicings or make it easier to get around my kit.

None of my cymbals sound the same yet they all work together tonally as a color pallet. I know it seems as though I have a bunch of cymbals but I really don't... probably more than a lot of non-pros but I have big aspirations, LOL. Seriously though my pallet is such that even if I only play 1 crash, 1 splash, and a ride or 2 rides and no crashes I can serve a wide range of gigs. Note: I am still learning to get the most out of my cymbals like the old jazz guys. I am NOT THERE YET... need a lot more work. I do however need a big set of hi-hats for a softer, more washy sound to my pallet for rock and jazzy stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up