LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: who is considered the hendrix of gospel guitar?  (Read 12394 times)

Offline skydawg

• LGM Member

who is considered the hendrix of gospel guitar?
« on: December 07, 2008, 05:18:34 AM »
Every style has it's innovators and those who we are inspired to strive for to reach that level of mastery,that pinnacle.who in the gospel tradition is considered the guitar player who's playing is at that level you strive to reach or are they all unsung hero's?Are there any gospel guitar hero's?

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: who is considered the hendrix of gospel guitar?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 03:23:30 PM »
While ther are a number of good guitarists in gospel, Christian rock, ect., we have yet to see a gospel version of Jimi Hendrix.  But I don't think that there will ever be another Hendrix.  He's like James Brown, Aretha Franklin, or Elvis Presley.  Onece they'r gone they're gone.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
Skydawg,

Welcome, and shout out to the original SKYDAWG, Duane Allman.

I think the "Hendrix", of gospel, was Spanky Alford. He was truly amazing, and could play anything. Literally.
I got humbled doing a session, with Spanky in the next room. I asked for a lesson, and he put on a Clinic!
He could Bluegrass, Jazz, Funk, Hymns, and Rock with equal aplomb.  You should've heard pull off banjo-rolls, on guitar.
Spanky was truly the best.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:08:52 PM »
here's the thing about Hendrix...he was truly an innovator...a man that took many styles and melded them together in a way that had never been done before. he took toechnology and warped it and used it and made sounds that had never been made before. even though his playing, for the most part, doesn't do much for me...i have great respect for what he did in advancing guitar playing, the way the instrument was perceived, for shattering limitations, for stretching what was thought possible.

i have to say there isn't anyone that has done that in gospel music. there have been guys that apply their considerable skill in a gospel conctext...but i can't think of anyone that has truly innovated. even that vid of spanky sound like any other great jazz type player. he's great, and i'm not taking anything away from him...but it's nothing that hasn't been done before.

that's what hendrix was...something truly fresh and unique, that no one had heard before. love him or hate him...you have to give him that.

Offline jbworley

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Wow...Spanky Alford is great! Jonathan Dubose is another awesome gospel guitarist. I really don't know how you could innovate something that already uses so much musical vocabulary...there are gospel guitarists out there that blow away anyone I've ever heard...average people doing extraordinary things through God's power.
Give it all to God

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Wow...Spanky Alford is great! Jonathan Dubose is another awesome gospel guitarist. I really don't know how you could innovate something that already uses so much musical vocabulary...there are gospel guitarists out there that blow away anyone I've ever heard...average people doing extraordinary things through God's power.
AMEM,I AGREED.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »
here's the thing about Hendrix...he was truly an innovator

In this day and age, there are so many great and talented musicians out there that musical proficency is almost taken for granted.  Not only that, but I dobut that we'll see any real inovaton during our liftime (I hope sombody proves me wrong). 
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »
In this day and age, there are so many great and talented musicians out there that musical proficency is almost taken for granted.  Not only that, but I dobut that we'll see any real inovaton during our liftime (I hope sombody proves me wrong). 

I have to kind of agree with you here. It's not so much that the innovation doesn't exist any longer, it's a matter of the era Jimi was in.

You're talking about a time where new inventions were popping up (the wha, univibe, fuzz pedals... etc.), and these were things that no one had had any preconceptions about--like jlynnb1 said, he was doing stuff that was brand new and unheard of.

These days, there's really nothing new. Sure, there's digital modeling, which is really just to make things more simple. Nothing new, tonally, just easier, and faster to get close to the sound you want.

I think *maybe* the Whammy pedal did that for a short time, but now it's so common-place, that no one even really messes with it any longer.

And on that note, although not Gospel--obviously--I Think that Tom Morello came closer to a Hendrix today (simply in the respect of using effects together to create unheard of sounds; unplugging his cord and tapping it on his bridge to make crazy radio-static thingys, using a kill switch and string noise to emulate turntables, etc.--not comparing technique at all here).

There are players who have met and surpassed the technical aspect of Hendrix, in probably every genre, but it will be difficult to see a revolution like that of the late 60's.

I don't know... maybe with that new Moog guitar  :o but other than that... not sure it's coming any time soon.

Besides, a lot of that type of stuff doesn't really "fit" the genre of topic, in a traditional sense. Not being legalistic lol, I'm just saying...

Offline bishopcole

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • YES INDEED!!! AND THATS A RAP!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
Skydawg,

Welcome, and shout out to the original SKYDAWG, Duane Allman.

I think the "Hendrix", of gospel, was Spanky Alford. He was truly amazing, and could play anything. Literally.
I got humbled doing a session, with Spanky in the next room. I asked for a lesson, and he put on a Clinic!
He could Bluegrass, Jazz, Funk, Hymns, and Rock with equal aplomb.  You should've heard pull off banjo-rolls, on guitar.
Spanky was truly the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tVVazJ7j18&feature=related

Doc, spanky was a very close friend of mine and we giged quite a lot in the Gospel field together and I have seen and played with no one better! I truly 100% AGREE WITH YOU! AND THATS A RAPP!!  Bishop Cole 8)
"Stay in God Always"  - Bishop Lamar Cole
"It's not about the Music, it's about the Ministry"

Offline skydawg

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:54 AM »
I used jimi Hendrix as an example of one who not only was an innovator but also was a very creative and imaginative player.for those unfamiliar with his material and have only heard standard radio play he also had some very strong r&b/soul roots.songs like little wing,angel,have you ever been to electric lady land,castles made of sand, etc. clearly show his r&B roots.Having said that,i think what i was getting at was who are some of the distinctive gospel guitarist who have shaped the genre and who are "stand outs" to listen to...to try and emulate.though i come from a pentecostal background i've never studied gospel guitar,and i'd like to learn from those who do that style well.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
Some people may think i am cracy,but i think JIMI WAS WAY OVER-RATED.He was good,nothing great about him.He came along at the right time.He was the first black in rock,that the world seen play like that.He was so doped up out his head.Maybe that enhance his playing some.But,yes he was good.But,i would put Spanky,Dubose on the same level with anybody.Jimi made more noise that anything.These two brothers makes music.Just the way my ears hear. ;D

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
Some people may think i am cracy,but i think JIMI WAS WAY OVER-RATED.He was good,nothing great about him.He came along at the right time.He was the first black in rock,that the world seen play like that.He was so doped up out his head.Maybe that enhance his playing some.But,yes he was good.But,i would put Spanky,Dubose on the same level with anybody.Jimi made more noise that anything.These two brothers makes music.Just the way my ears hear. ;D

I can see where you're coming from, but if you've never listened to any of his later releases, you'd be surprised.

First Rays of the New Rising Sun has some incredible arrangements, and much more structured playing, as well.

If alive today, I think he'd be an R&B or some off-shoot of Jazz. It seemed to be headed that way.

Regardless, I see what you mean.

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:48:22 PM »
That is so true.

Offline skydawg

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 01:58:34 PM »
The sad thing i think is the black community has kind of written him off as,as you put it, a doped out noise maker.but there is another side to him,where his playing is infused with all kinds of r&B/soul ornamentation's and creative chord work....but that's the side the mainstream isn't aware of.anyways i wasn't trying to make this thread about jimi hendrix,as i said i just wanted to find out who i should listen to really hear some good gospel guitar playing.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 02:14:55 PM »
i agree that there hasn't been anyone do what jimi did as far as innovation because everything since then has been a refining of what he did with effects, textures, etc. tom morello is a good point. i think the Edge has done a lot with the textural stuff he does.

i do think there have been guys that have advanced technique to insane levels....vai, malmsteen, howe, satriani, kotzen, gilbert, dimeola...the list goes on.

i have yet to hear a guy in gospel that makes me step back and say, "whoa!! i've never heard anyone do THAT before". there are some monster guys, but like i said before...they are applying jazz/funk/blues/rock/soul in  a gospel context...and there are plenty of guitar players in those genres that are either just as good or better.

again, that's not taking away from dubose, paul jackson jr (even though i know gospel isn't his main gig), spanky, jubu....any of those guys...they are all great, great players. i just think the conext in which they are playing makes you notice them more than what they are actually playing...because let's face it...gospel musicians are know in this order...Keys..Organ..Bass...Drums..Prod ucer..Synth..Percussion..Lighting..Drum mer's Posse..and that guy that plays wah-wah on the guitar.  ;D

i'm joking, obviously...but there is a sad truth there as well.

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
That is so true.

Listening to a live song from YouTube, might lead you to this conclusion, but actually listening to a RECORD, one of his original albums, and you'd be hard pressed to say that.

It may go against your beliefs to get one of his records, but you owe it to yourself, to do so, at some point. Especially being a guitar player!

Many don't know, that Hendrix played on the 'Chitlin Circuit', with stars like Little Richard and The Isley Brothers.

I'd say Jimi [and later Curtis Mayfield], are responsible for the beautiful " butterfly picking" that so many gospel and R&B picking use.

While there were highly skilled technicians on the guitar, like Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker, and B.B. King (that's right B.B. was originally something of a shredder),

Jimi's single note style was something else. Before him there Clapton, Beck and Richards. He single handedly changed the way saturation, and vibrato enhanced a solo!

Further, the one thing your missing out on, by not checking out his STUDIO albums, is that Jimi was a master of the studio.

Please take time to check out  Axis: Bold As Love, Band of Gypsies, Are You Experienced, and Electric Lady Land.

Listen:

&

Offline skydawg

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 02:48:56 PM »
Listening to a live song from YouTube, might lead you to this conclusion, but actually listening to a RECORD, one of his original albums, and you'd be hard pressed to say that.

It may go against your beliefs to get one of his records, but you owe it to yourself, to do so, at some point. Especially being a guitar player!

Many don't know, that Hendrix played on the 'Chitlin Circuit', with stars like Little Richard and The Isley Brothers.

I'd say Jimi [and later Curtis Mayfield], are responsible for the beautiful " butterfly picking" that so many gospel and R&B picking use.

While there were highly skilled technicians on the guitar, like Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker, and B.B. King (that's right B.B. was originally something of a shredder),

Jimi's single note style was something else. Before him there Clapton, Beck and Richards. He single handedly changed the way saturation, and vibrato enhanced a solo!

Further, the one thing your missing out on, by not checking out his STUDIO albums, is that Jimi was a master of the studio.

Please take time to check out  Axis: Bold As Love, Band of Gypsies, Are You Experienced, and Electric Lady Land.

Listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_cd7F4faXg&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=jimi%20hendrix%20little%20wing&ie=UTF-8&

thank you for that,that's along the lines of what i talking about.jimi was a masterful rhythm player and this song ,little wing, is a great example of that ornamental style he was known for.he definitely was inspired by curtis but imo he took it further.he was a R&B/soul player before he was a blues and rock n roll artist.If you want to hear more of that side of jimi,as i stated earlier also check out Angel,Castles made of sand and the song Have you ever been to electric land(which is a soul tour de force)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
The sad thing i think is the black community has kind of written him off as,as you put it, a doped out noise maker.but there is another side to him,where his playing is infused with all kinds of r&B/soul ornamentation's and creative chord work....but that's the side the mainstream isn't aware of.anyways i wasn't trying to make this thread about jimi hendrix,as i said i just wanted to find out who i should listen to really hear some good gospel guitar playing.

Hendrix (regardless of how good or bad he may have been from a technical perspective) has had a profound influence over a wide range of musicians covering a vast range of genres.  I've even heard classical reinterpetations of his work.  Unfortunatley, rock guitarists don't get much love from non-musicians in the black community and if you happen to be black and play rock then you tend to get compared to Hendirx a lot...just ask Vernon Reid.  I guess Hendrix is the only point of referenc that a lot black folks have when it comes to the guitar.  At one point, it seems that the guitar came to be regarded as a "white" instrument....that's precisely why I chose a green guitar  ;D!
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline stephen1911

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
Some people may think i am cracy.

yep!
Pages: [1]   Go Up