LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U THINK SINGLE PEDAL DRUMMERS ARE MORE TALENTED THAN DOUBLE?  (Read 4383 times)

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

U THINK SINGLE PEDAL DRUMMERS ARE MORE TALENTED THAN DOUBLE?
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:24:44 PM »
WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT A DRUMMER THAT CAN HOLD IT DOWN WITH A SINGLE PEDAL? I PERSONALLY GIVE IT UP TO THEM OVER THE GUYS WHO PLAY DOUBLE. IT TAKES MORE SKILL TO PLAY SINGLE PEDAL AND MAKE IT CRISP WITH REALLY FAST DOUBLES... WHAT YA'LL THINK?
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline drummerboyy01

• LGM Member
    • http://www.drummerboyy01@.yahoo.com

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 07:17:43 AM »
Although I am a single pedal player I think both the single and double players are talented, simply because I use to play double pedal and just because I played double pedal did not mean I fell off with my single, I didn't always use both, only on certain beats so I used my right foot just as I had no double pedal kick. I can say though, when I was playing double I did not focust AS MUCH on my right single as I should have. But I do enjoy playing with single pedal because I felt that I was cheating playing with the double pedal.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:48:17 AM »
I think that it all depends on the drummer. I play both single and double. More people are impressed by my skill on a single than when i use a double. I think that a double pedal can only enhance your skills. It seems that everyone has the impression that the only things that can be done on a double pedal is doubles or triplets. When I use a double pedal i do whole rolls (16ths, 24ths, and 32nds) using the double and only the right foot to get out the other stuff. I try not to let my right foot skills go down just b/c I can play double.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:28:28 AM »
I don't think that people who play with single or double foot pedals are necessarily more talented than the other.  I will say that personally I think it takes more time and effort to double with you left foot than your right foot, if you RH and vice versa.  Whichever foot you use the most is obviously going to be faster than the other.  But I give people who can double with both feet props cuz I can't do that real well.  I am real good with my right foot, but with the left I am "garbage", meaning I can just do single beats.  I guess with practice, anyone can play well with both feet and just in case one foot get broken or something, you always got the other foot as backup.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline b3maniac

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »
I've played drums for over 20 years and to me it seems that using the double pedal makes life more simply. I usually play with single pedal but when playing with double it really seems to take the pressure off of my right foot that I use for playing the single. Now I would'nt say that one is more talented than the other because one may be great with the feet and not so great with the hands but I will say this, If a drummer can make it happen with a single to where you think he's playing on a double, then that is talent! Peace.

P.s.  I don't play drums as much now because I have fell in love with the Hammond organ. Hey, It's still all good! :)

Offline mackk01

• LGM Member

Re: U THINK SINGLE PEDAL DRUMMERS ARE MORE TALENTED THAN DOU
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 10:29:14 PM »
Quote from: drummercat777
WHAT DO YA'LL THINK ABOUT A DRUMMER THAT CAN HOLD IT DOWN WITH A SINGLE PEDAL? I PERSONALLY GIVE IT UP TO THEM OVER THE GUYS WHO PLAY DOUBLE. IT TAKES MORE SKILL TO PLAY SINGLE PEDAL AND MAKE IT CRISP WITH REALLY FAST DOUBLES... WHAT YA'LL THINK?

All I have to say is get the Thomas Lang "Creative Control" DVD and you make your decision.

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

duoble pedal v. single pedal
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 11:36:19 PM »
All I have to say is get the Thomas Lang "Creative Control" DVD and you make your decision.

i have seen the tomas lang dvd. i mean, he is cool and all but why would you ever need a pedal for a cowbell on top of a double pedal and two hi-hats. it seems just like it is overkill. some of the greatest drummers in the world held it down with one pedal. no auxillary stuff or nuttin.............but its all good, and its all GOD!  :D
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline DrummerBoyGil

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
I can't really say. All I know is that I can hit about 2 measures of 16th's notes on the single pedal. I tried using a double pedal before and I sounded horrible. I was tryin' to be sweet and roll with it and it came out duh....duh duh....duh......
 :oops:

It sucked  :P

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »
hey fellas, check this out

if u really want 2 get into it, cats that say using the double pedal is cheating, really dont want 2 expand their drum skills, or put in hard work to master the double pedal. u just cant limit your right foot.......i say this because im speaking out of experience. I was the same way, until i heard my uncle playing blazin single that made me go nuts.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 12:01:52 PM »
if u really want 2 get into it, cats that say using the double pedal is cheating, really dont want 2 expand their drum skills, or put in hard work to master the double pedal

Thank you. I was hoping I wasn't the only person who thought that way.

Stop Hatin'
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 03:16:37 PM »
The more stuff you have on  your kit, the more coordination you need. Double or single pedal, it does not matter. It is all about making music and getting an idea across. Thomas Lang and Virgil Donati play styles of music that require different rhythmic voices. If you do not have discipline, stay away from expanding your kit. If you know how to use stuff to express the music, then do it. Gospel cats always cry about what other people use, but they can't play it and they start hatin'. STOP PLAYA HATIN'

Offline pocketime

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »
I would highly suggest that all of guys get the Steve Smith DVD.  If you want to learn about Moeller hand technique, proper bass drum technique and a great deal of drum history in the US, this is a must have for your library.  Steve is a phenomenal teacher and in this set he really takes the time to break all aspects of drumming into chapters.  If you really want to expand your knowledge get this.  The Thomas Lang DVD is also great the way he covers practice routines, Moeller, Grueber and the like.  His technique both hand and foot is absoloutely flawless.  This comes from very disciplined practice routines and having a good teacher does'nt hurt.  As I always say, "Keep It In The Pocket".  PT.

Offline Razzman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • God is good.........All The time

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 01:38:46 PM »
I like the sound of a double pedal. I'am not concerned with whether someone thinks they have more or less talent or skill. The issue is what sounds best to your ears and your style, and your drum kit. Saying one drummer is less tallented because they use a double should stay in the hallways of Jr.High.  Most guitar player DON't use the same setups and All have there own style. Some can copy pretty well, but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it all there is a difference, because we are all different.  Have a happy New Year!

Offline Dooley

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 12:38:44 AM »
Just learn both
**From the desk of "Professor Terrence J. Dooley"
Pages: [1]   Go Up