LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: sadowsky bass....  (Read 10003 times)

Offline mellogroove

• LGM Member

sadowsky bass....
« on: January 01, 2009, 02:03:34 AM »
any of youguys play sadowsky bass.... what do you think... im thinkin about getting one. reviews will be helpfull . thanx
mellogroove...

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

Re: sadowsky bass....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
I do not own one, but my best friend has played one.  His dream bass is a Sadowsky.  And this man has owned quite a few basses over the years and that's the one he wishes he had bought the first time.  He raves about it.  Go for it.   
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:59 AM »
I had the opportunity to play a couple a few days ago. Currently, I play Mexican Fender Jazz basses and the Sadowsky blows them away.  If possible, play one before you buy/order.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
Maybe I didn't play the 'right' one but I was not impressed with the one played back in 1999 or 2000 at a studio I was recording at. It was heavy and had a thick neck!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline CallowHill

• LGM Member
    • CallowHill Guitars

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
I really like Rogers' instruments, so much in fact that I actually play one.  (I'm a guitar player though so it doesn't count)  ::)

His necks are thinner and the basses weigh considerably less than they did ten years ago.  Construction-wise you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner instrument.

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
Here is a clip of some cat playing a Sadowsky at 2008 Namm show. Sadowsky makes excellent basses. I played one a couple of yrs ago & it's one of the best basses i've ever played.   

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 04:39:58 PM »
His necks are thinner and the basses weigh considerably less than they did ten years ago.  Construction-wise you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner instrument.
That's good to know. I was playing a 1996 Ibanez SR505 back then which was pretty light so I was spoiled in the slim neck and weight dept. While my Lakland JO5 is no Sadowsky, It's definitely the model for any bass I will ever purchase in the future.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
The best place to hear a Sadowsky on the regular is on David Letterman as bassist Will Lee has been playing them for the longest.  That man is bad.
When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline MYCAL

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »
Yes, I own a sadowsky.It is a well put together insturment.The bass is a vintage 70's 5 string black with the black block inlays.Very good sound you don't have time play with the knobs to much to dial in your tone.As DW mentioned the weight.It has never was a problem for me.But when I order my bass I was notified about the weight.My bass weighed 10.5 lbs,no problem for me. 8).When ordering you have excellent customer service ;D.One other thing the preamp it very powerful,the treble I use between 0-no more than 10o clock,bass between 9& 12 o clock depending on the song,you don't have to dial much at all.As far as AMPS are concerned try MESA walkabout- or the M-pulse600.No matter what bass you are playing it will be crisp and clear,clean,and bottom ;D.Check out there site.Hey DW I really love that JO you purchased.I played one and I love it .Bass players and guitarist alike always say the same thing.THIS IS MY LAST ONE!!! NOT!!
It might be the sound the color etc.But we keep on BUYING ;D.Keep the low end alive my brothers and sistas.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
I had the opportunity to play a couple a few days ago. Currently, I play Mexican Fender Jazz basses and the Sadowsky blows them away.  If possible, play one before you buy/order.

LOL.  That's like owning a Chevy and having test-driven a Mercedes :).  I also play a MIM Deluxe Jazz V btw.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
LOL.  That's like owning a Chevy and having test-driven a Mercedes :).  I also play a MIM Deluxe Jazz V btw.
I agree with you. Although I love my Fenders--and will probably be playing them forever unless my playing situations change--the Sadowsky blew them out of the water. :)

Offline Basspicker26

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
Well... in my opinion no one makes a jazz bass better than its originator....Fender. I've had the opportunity to play them all at some point, everything from the Nordy to the Sadowsky to the Callowhill to the Low End etc, and to me none can top the Fender Jazz. I will say this, all of the other companies offer many more options and variations as far as look and even tone. Me personally, I want a jazz bass to be what it was meant to be... a jazz bass. That's the reason for buying it...lol Sorry I had a moment...lol
twitter.com/jamaalandrews

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »
Well... in my opinion no one makes a jazz bass better than its originator....Fender. I've had the opportunity to play them all at some point, everything from the Nordy to the Sadowsky to the Callowhill to the Low End etc, and to me none can top the Fender Jazz. I will say this, all of the other companies offer many more options and variations as far as look and even tone. Me personally, I want a jazz bass to be what it was meant to be... a jazz bass. That's the reason for buying it...lol Sorry I had a moment...lol
Hmmmm.........tried a Lakland JO or DJ yet? May change your mind!

Offline mellogroove

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanx for the replies fellow members...I'm looking at the sadowsky metro 5. I saw one @ basscentral website in Florida . I live in Cali.  Not alot of many dealers close by.  From what I hear OnYouTube , they sound nice. 
But the rule a always play before buying...  Thanx LGM.       Mellogroove...               

Offline Basspicker26

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 05:52:37 PM »
Naw DW, don't like Lakland either...lol Mello I live 10mins from bass central so I'll check out the metro 5 and let you know what I think...lol
twitter.com/jamaalandrews

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
The Sadowsky is very much on the same order as a Lakland, falling into the category of "super Fender".  Both are extremely playable, but aren't necessarily what you would call boutique basses.  Kenny Ames, Kelly Hunt's bassist plays Sadowsky's and I was truly impressed with his.  My main player is a Lakland 55-94 and I took a 5 string Skyline JO on a mission trip to India last summer.  When I got back, I traded the JO for a Warrior 5 string and sort of wished I hadn't (it went to a friend who was a Lakland endorser so more a gift than a trade).  I don't know of anything you could ask either a Lakland, or a Sadowsky, to do that it could do.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »
I really like Rogers' instruments, so much in fact that I actually play one.  (I'm a guitar player though so it doesn't count)  ::)

Given what Tim posted, I'd say that's an endorsement! lols...I can say this; I've never heard anything bad about a Sadowsky.

Browntree

And David spake to the chief of the Levites to appoint their brethren to be the singers with instruments of music, psalteries and harps and cymbals, sounding, by lifting up the voice with joy. I Chronicles 15:16

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »
Oops.  Make that there's nothing you could ask of a Lakland or Sadowsky that they *couldn't* do.  Sorry.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline MYCAL

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 10:26:52 PM »
I just love the classic sound of the Sadowsky.I also love playing my Fender J DLX 5 etc.More so after getting my gear in order and playing Mesa Boogie equipment.I can now tell the difference between the basses.A good friend of mine has 4 songs he has recorded on his MYSPACE page.Check it out the first song should be Wolf Tickets which was recorded with an ALEMBIC,all the other songs were recorded with SADOWSKY.  JIMMY ALI MYSPACE  ENJOY :o WOLF TICKETS was recorded back in 79"-80".

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

You know it's funny.  We guitar players are more tied to tradition than bassists.  Bass players have embraced the low B, but how many guitarists do you know that play a 7-string?  And we are forever married to our Fenders and Gibsons; even if Sadowsky, Anderson, Suhr, etc. make a better  Strat, we simply don't care (man do I just love my '93 FENDER Strat  ;D).  But bass players seem to be more open to non-tradional designs and modern interpretations of classic designs.  They even like solid-state amps :o!  BTW, for those on a budget, you may want to consider Sadowsky's Metro series.  The reviews that I've read have been favorable.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up