LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sadowsky bass....  (Read 10004 times)

Offline CallowHill

• LGM Member
    • CallowHill Guitars

Re: sadowsky bass....
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 10:32:38 PM »
That IS funny.  Personally, I can't take Fender seriously even though I've played several over the years.  (rebuild and mod HUNDREDS of brand new ones and you'll see things from my standpoint)  I have a couple of Roger's guitars (a strat which was stolen, and a custom tele) and I can't look back at the mass production stuff.  As a builder, I see errors in guitars all the time, but I don't see them in works by Sadowsky, Suhr, Grosh, and many other top builders.  The tightness of work by my "peers" keeps me in check. 

The odd thing is that I chose to build basses for several reasons, but one of the main ones had to do with the fact that I had freedom to introduce original designs without bogarting blueprints from Leo and Les.  I begrudgingly introduced the Junk and now I'm pretty much cranking them out all the time.  Consumer mentality informs commerce.

Anyway, enough off topic nonsense.  You get what you pay for with Roger.  The NYCs are as flawless as any hand made instrument can be - and YES: they are hand made despite the rough cnc stage before all of the real work.  If the NYCs are out of your budget, I think the Metros are an amazing value despite the fact the price tag is way above an SX or an MIM.  You truly get what you pay for!

Strange though, as a guitar player I'm used to the aesthetic of a strat or tele, and I stick to it, admittadly close minded in many regards...

bassboyblue

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Well... in my opinion no one makes a jazz bass better than its originator....Fender. I've had the opportunity to play them all at some point, everything from the Nordy to the Sadowsky to the Callowhill to the Low End etc, and to me none can top the Fender Jazz. I will say this, all of the other companies offer many more options and variations as far as look and even tone. Me personally, I want a jazz bass to be what it was meant to be... a jazz bass. That's the reason for buying it...lol Sorry I had a moment...lol
I agree 100%,i own 4 and 5 string USA jazz basses,and iv'e tried other brands,in fact i had a lakland JO5 and although it was good,it somehow just didn't have the original fender vibe,SO.you want Fender!!get a Fender!! ;D

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
I agree 100%,i own 4 and 5 string USA jazz basses,and iv'e tried other brands,in fact i had a lakland JO5 and although it was good,it somehow just didn't have the original fender vibe,SO.you want Fender!!get a Fender!! ;D

I like Fender.  Fender is a big company that produces a lot of basses in various price ranges.  Most of them are great or at least good, a few are real dogs.  If you're lucky and patient enough, you'll even find some true gems.  The high-end builders probably get it right almost always because they build smaller quantities and can devote more attention to each intrument, but Fender is building some good basses these days.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 06:49:41 AM »
The problem I've encountered with Fender is that you can get the action only so low without needing a shim or something. Can't understand why they haven't figured out how to solve that! They have done a good job of upgrading the tuners, bridge and electronics though! My Lakland has the lowest action of any Fender jazz style bass I've ever owned and I've owned a few.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
any of youguys play sadowsky bass.... what do you think... im thinkin about getting one. reviews will be helpfull . thanx
mellogroove...
I played a MS5 for 2 yrs,but fell out of favor of it,because my ears had become little tired of the Modern Jazz, Swamp Ash/Maple type tone (and in other Modern sounding bass for that matter) in addition I sold my Nordstrand J5 also,however I might pickup my sons  UV70 because it's Alder/rosewood and has Antiquity II single coil pickups in it

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
Maybe I didn't play the 'right' one but I was not impressed with the one played back in 1999 or 2000 at a studio I was recording at. It was heavy and had a thick neck!
Wich technically my preference out side of a real thick neck ,My 74 jazz weighs 13lbs,but the tone is out of this world !

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:30 PM »
Well... in my opinion no one makes a jazz bass better than its originator....Fender. I've had the opportunity to play them all at some point, everything from the Nordy to the Sadowsky to the Callowhill to the Low End etc, and to me none can top the Fender Jazz. I will say this, all of the other companies offer many more options and variations as far as look and even tone. Me personally, I want a jazz bass to be what it was meant to be... a jazz bass. That's the reason for buying it...lol Sorry I had a moment...lol
Exactly.I took purchase of a Sandberg California J5 2 weeks ago,and it's a great bass,but it kinda sounds like most of the non Fender Jazz Basses that I've owned except a Callowhill,but I've heard a couple and figured it would be a waste of time and money if I purchase one because I thought it kinda sounded like everything else that I've sold.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
The best place to hear a Sadowsky on the regular is on David Letterman as bassist Will Lee has been playing them for the longest.  That man is bad.
That bass does sound great,and one of the reasons it sounds so fat in the mix is 1. it's a 4 string and 2. I'm sure that the Fender " L series 64 pickups that's in it sure doesn't hurt and as mention Will is a great player

Offline play4zero

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 04:15:33 PM »
I would politely disagree that listening to someone like Will Lee will tell you what an instrument sounds like.  Much of what any instrument sounds like is your right hand (or left for the lefties).  Will Lee, Victor Wooten, Andre Gouche, etc. could run cat gut through a wash tub and sound good.  You need to see what that instrument sounds like in your hands.

Secondly, my 55-94 Lakland does not sound the same as my friend's 55-94.  Mine is darker than his (which makes me happy and vice versa), so there again, and particularly with a hand made instrument you're going to get some wonderful variations in the texture of the sound.

And finally, my friend with the 55-94 is an awesome bassist who has had about every type of boutique bass there is and his main instrument is a 62 Fender closet classic Jazz Bass (and that's included over a real live 65 J Bass).  I agree that the Fenders are not even the bass that my home built Warmoth partsenstein bass is, but they (and the Laklands and Sadowskys) are just downright playable.  There is just something about the feel of them that just feels right.
Ezekiel 3:12

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 05:11:45 PM »
I agree that the Fenders are not even the bass that my home built Warmoth partsenstein bass is, but they (and the Laklands and Sadowskys) are just downright playable.  There is just something about the feel of them that just feels right.

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
Oooops, forgot to add my piece which is.............I agree! I also have a custom Warmoth jazz bass that kills! My Lakland JO5 achieves a solid Fender-esque vibe with quieter passive electronics and way lower action.

Offline MYCAL

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »
Play4zero I agree with you,it's all in the hands your left&right approach to your instrument.When I bought my Sadowsky the neck is night & day when I change and play my Fender j5dlux.I have to play a good half hour to get used to the neck!!!But non the less I still love the Jazz bass ;D.Like I said earlier until I changed my system,all of my basses we sounding the same.I knew it was time for a change,I had the same system for about 12yrs.Thanks for all of the information on this site.It's like going to a jam sesion,learning new ways to play,and have a open mind 8).THANX TO ALL.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 06:54:08 AM »
Play4zero I agree with you,it's all in the hands your left&right approach to your instrument.When I bought my Sadowsky the neck is night & day when I change and play my Fender j5dlux.I have to play a good half hour to get used to the neck!!!But non the less I still love the Jazz bass ;D.Like I said earlier until I changed my system,all of my basses we sounding the same.I knew it was time for a change,I had the same system for about 12yrs.Thanks for all of the information on this site.It's like going to a jam sesion,learning new ways to play,and have a open mind 8).THANX TO ALL.
I think  there's a bit more to it than just the "all in the hands, because there's other factors invovled,like the materials that's being used to build the instrument pickups and pickup placement for sure, the neck and it's radius and were it also sits in the body cavity etc. so somewhere along the line you have to consider the bass itself IMHO.YMMV.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »
You know it's funny.  We guitar players are more tied to tradition than bassists.  Bass players have embraced the low B, but how many guitarists do you know that play a 7-string? 

None that i know of and i am not even ready to start learning how to accommodate that extra string too.

;D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline BIGIO

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »
 Hi,I used to own a Sadowsky 4 string and it sounded great. But then i purchased a American Jazz Bass and I sent it to Roger Sadowsky's shop to have a Sadowsky preamp instaled on it, and it sounded a lot better than the original Sadowsky bass. I ended up selling the Sadowsky bass.  The preamp cost $250.00 and any good guitar tech can install it. God Bless
Phillippians 4:13

Offline Godsbassman62

• LGM Member
  • God First

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »
Hey All,

I just got a Sadowsky Metro M5-24 last week and I am loving it. The soap bars have the range of sound I am looking for.

Be Blessed,

James
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up