LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Basic Beginner  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Chocolatevmv

• LGM Member

Really Basic Beginner
« on: June 02, 2003, 03:59:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this site and I need a bit of help: although I can play piano profficiently (I can read music and have been classically trained), I have a very basic and limited knowledge of music theory, and how to write sheet music- (in England you don't have to learn music theory until you reach grade 5) I've only just started taking music theory lessons and it's all a bit foreign to me, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me out, because I'd really like to become a fully rounded piano player and perhaps one day play in church. Thanks v. much :wink:

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Really Basic Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 07:28:18 AM »
Quote from: Chocolatevmv
Hi, I'm new to this site and I need a bit of help: although I can play piano profficiently (I can read music and have been classically trained), I have a very basic and limited knowledge of music theory, and how to write sheet music- (in England you don't have to learn music theory until you reach grade 5) I've only just started taking music theory lessons and it's all a bit foreign to me, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me out, because I'd really like to become a fully rounded piano player and perhaps one day play in church. Thanks v. much :wink:

Hi there and welcome to our community!!!

Continue with the music theory lessons. It time it will begin to make sense. Just be patient.

In the mean time, since you are a profficient pianist, I suggest that you purchase different types of music, i.e., traditional & contemporary gospel, jazz. Start listening to the music to develop your ear. On my site (link below) I have a "how to listen to a song" article there that may help.

Also, purchase gospel sheet music or songbooks. A good start is the WOW Gospel Songbooks (about $25 here in America). The music is transcribed well in those books. Also songbooks by John P. Kee, Fred Hammond, & Hezekiah Walker are pretty good too.

Offline Chocolatevmv

• LGM Member

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 07:35:52 AM »
Thanks very much Sister T

that was very helpful. As a matter of fact, I already have a Fred Hammond book (I'm a big Fred fan). Thanks for the welcome too.
God Bless
:D

p.s. I'll have a look around for those WOW gospel books- I ain't seen those in the shops here, but shops in London are good so I'm sure I'll find some.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 07:43:48 AM »
Quote from: Chocolatevmv
Thanks very much Sister T

that was very helpful.

Glad I could help
Pages: [1]   Go Up