LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Congrats Jerome Flood II 2008 GC DRUM OFF CHAMP  (Read 12784 times)

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member
  • Some of the best playing that I've ever heard!
    • www.myspace.com/juancarlosmendoza

Congrats Jerome Flood II 2008 GC DRUM OFF CHAMP
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:33:27 AM »
Hey cats,

Just wanted to let you know that my boy Jerome Flood II is the GC champ for 2008.  Jerome is my boy and he really did well.  I got to meet so many cool cats.  Got to meet Eric Moore, very very cool and funny as heck dude.  Ronald Bruner, Jonathon Moffet, etc.  Dude, I'll give you guys a recap in a few days.  I have to get out of the hotel to catch a flight back home, but just wanted to congratulate my boy Jerome.  Also, Ramon did his thing.  Dude is really cool, hyper, but loves God!!!  Man, it was a great experience and I'll tell you more about it later.  Take care and God Bless.  Much love and respect.  Btw Eric, we didn't get a chance to swap numbers hit me up on the PM's.  Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

Re: Congrats Jerome Flood II 2008 GC DRUM OFF CHAMP
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
Surprising.... :-\

Offline porkpiepoppa

• LGM Member
  • i can do ALL things phil 4:13*

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
congrats to him. ;D
<!-- Copied from MySpace.com -->
Find me on MySpace a

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
Surprising.... :-\

why you say that doc lol

Offline j_kay

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »
Tight!  Any video?
~ This thread is beyond hijacked - it's been kidnapped... ~

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
Man, Carlito, I know you killed it anyway.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
IDK....IM JUST SURPRISED THAT HE WAS THE BEST IN THE DRUMOFF. KINDA CRAZY TO ME BUT HEY...CONGRADULATIONS TO HIM.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
...Congrats. to Jerome and congrats. to you Carlito.  I know you did your thing.  ;)
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:48:02 PM »
IDK....IM JUST SURPRISED THAT HE WAS THE BEST IN THE DRUMOFF. KINDA CRAZY TO ME BUT HEY...CONGRADULATIONS TO HIM.

you could say the same for last years winner as well its very subjective to who's judging and what they are looking for because different judges are looking for different things. one may like all your chops but the other may not like your chops and doesnt think you should win cause you didnt do any fancy tricks. stuff like that

God Bless him it was his turn to win.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
EXACTLY....THATS WHY I GIVE HIM BIG UPS BECAUSE GOD CHOOSE HIM FOR A TIME LIKE THIS. IM NOT TRYING TO SEEM LIKE HE DIDNT DESERVE BECAUSE I HADNT EVEN KEPT UP WITH THE DRUMOFF SO I DONT THE COMP. OR WHAT JUDGES WHERE LOOKING AT THROUGH THE COMPETITION. I WAS JUST EXPECTING SOMETHING DIFFERENT I GUESS.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:01:42 PM »
EXACTLY....THATS WHY I GIVE HIM BIG UPS BECAUSE GOD CHOOSE HIM FOR A TIME LIKE THIS. IM NOT TRYING TO SEEM LIKE HE DIDNT DESERVE BECAUSE I HADNT EVEN KEPT UP WITH THE DRUMOFF SO I DONT THE COMP. OR WHAT JUDGES WHERE LOOKING AT THROUGH THE COMPETITION. I WAS JUST EXPECTING SOMETHING DIFFERENT I GUESS.

Yea God Did it for a reason so i dont worry about it.

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:48 PM »
I FEEL YA...

Offline trixx

• LGM Member
  • Drum Off 2008 Red Carpet... ME and Jason Bittner

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »
Well whats up LGM. man Carlitos put it down last night no doubt about it. But Real talk Jarome flood ripped it. His solo made since and was jaw dropping from the beginning till the end. This years comp. was really hard. There were alot of good and ripping drummers. But real talk Jarome took the cake. as judges and people who have won in previous years. The judges are some of the music business most profound drummers of today. Lets see. Thomas Pridgen judged.. Thomas Lang. Trevor laurence..johnathen (sugar foot ) moffit. My self. Carmine Appice. it was about 15 judges. real talk from all different styles of music. this year was no joke. jarome earned that $25,000. And real talk the boy is raw.....
I must say being a rock star is great. But playing in the lords house tops every arena.

Offline lockslie1

• LGM Member
  • Skyline!!!
    • PTS MUSIC COMPANY

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »
Congrats to Jerome Flood II.

Carlito, I know you did a tremendous job. We'll talk soon.

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:09:07 AM »
Well whats up LGM. man Carlitos put it down last night no doubt about it. But Real talk Jarome flood ripped it. His solo made since and was jaw dropping from the beginning till the end. This years comp. was really hard. There were alot of good and ripping drummers. But real talk Jarome took the cake. as judges and people who have won in previous years. The judges are some of the music business most profound drummers of today. Lets see. Thomas Pridgen judged.. Thomas Lang. Trevor laurence..johnathen (sugar foot ) moffit. My self. Carmine Appice. it was about 15 judges. real talk from all different styles of music. this year was no joke. jarome earned that $25,000. And real talk the boy is raw.....

can't wait to see the video then

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »
speaking of videos here are some

these dudes were pretty killin

Ramon

Someone i dont know

Another guy i dont know

Anyone know who those guys are?

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 08:10:11 AM »

Ok, so here's a mini version of the competition.  Real talk, the competition was crazy!!  The first cat that went up was this guy Anthony Burns from Michigan man this cat was fast and he was Chris Coleman's god son or something like that, so imagine LOL!!!  Cat was real dope.  He had great speed and some really nice tricks.  Then it was this cat Tim "Figg" Newton from San Diego this dude is crazy too.  Very clean and heavy hitter ala Aaron Spears. He had some dope grooves, in particular he did this groove in 7 that was straight killer.  Next was Ramon and man you look at this kid and you say how do you get so much power out of that 5 foot stature LOL!!!  Homeboy is just straight up talented and did some really nice stuff too.  Then Jerome went up and he was on.  He just played with conviction, had the crowd behind him all the way and he just had it. I knew Jerome before from last year and he's a great guy.  Really humble and trust me it was his year.  God knows all things man, because him winning this competition is a testimony because he told me some personal stuff and Saturday night was an accomplishment and his outlet to the music scene.  Great guy and a great spirit.  Then I went up and I played well.  I dropped my stick, but I don't think that's the reason I lost to be honest.  I just didn't have the crowd like Jerome did, but I feel like I played really musical and tried to sound different than everyone else, but I have some work to do for next year and we'll see what happens.  Then the last cat was Sherman Arnold who is from Colorado, but I didn't really hear him play because I was taking my stuff down to the dressing room.  However, from what I hear he played well, but stole some licks and ideas from someone ;)  Right Mr. Moore LOL!!! (and no it wasn't Eric's licks)!!

The set up was amazing.  It was time efficient too unlike when you compete at the store finals, districts, etc.  There are two sets up and while the first cat is playing, the second cat is setting up opposite of the stage from the guy who is playing.  And so on and so forth.  I didn't really get to appreciate Jerome's playing because I was setting up, but from what I saw and heard the dude was straight up on that night. 

The VIP party was cool.  Met alot of cats, Eric is really cool and funny as heck.  He's got a way with the ladies too LOL!!  Na, I won't blow up his spot, but like Eric said, many cats out.  Ronald Bruner Jr. was there, Kenny Arnoff, Danny Carey, etc.  However, you see the good, the bad and the real ugly!!  Man, cats were really high, drugged up, etc.  It just really opens up your eyes and shows you that the music scene is not the prettiest, but man besides that the experience was AMAZING and would not trade it for anything.  If you got any questions, just ask, I'll try to respond as throughouly as I can.  This was just from my perspective.  Take care and God Bless.

Carlito

Offline teflonminds88

• LGM Member
  • All fun and games...

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks for the update man.

I'm REALLY curious as to how the Pridgen/Lang duo turned out?
"Give them the truth, so they approach the situation with ammunition."

Offline MENDOZA

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »
Thanks for the update man.

I'm REALLY curious as to how the Pridgen/Lang duo turned out?

Ok, here's MY perspective of the Thomas Squared.  I was there for both sound check and the performance.  Sound check was off the hook, they were getting levels, etc.  Lang was a playing a set of Vdrums and Pridgen was playing a 7 piece DW in a sparkle finish.  Pridgen had a set of 18" hi hats, I know the top was a fast crash.  It was an A not an Acustom.  So at soundcheck the drums sounded great, but you could hear Lang too much.  However, they somewhat sorted that out.  They played for about 15 mins or so.  I think they rehearsed the day before the actual event, they played some drum bass, with Lang playing the melodies on the Vdrums.  So at soundcheck it was pretty even as far as levels.  Playing wise those guys are just crazy man.  Pridgen threw out some crazy licks and Lang is just ridiculous too.  His feet are just straight up amazing.  However, at the actual performance, everything was just straight up LOUD.  Lang's Vdrums (especially the bass drum triggers) were really loud and alot of stuff just sounded cluttered.  So to me it was a sound issue, but also at some points it was like they were both soloing at the same time and at times it sounded really cluttered, but it was RAW!!  Crazy energy, vibe, and most importantly they looked like they had ALOT of fun and that's what it's about.  So that's MY take. Maybe Eric can give you a different perspective.  Take care and God Bless.  Man I'm sooooo messed up with this jet lag and time zone.  LOL!!!

Carlito

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Big ups to my man Jerome.......real cool cat originally from upstate NY............
Keep It Funky
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up