LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Debate  (Read 34216 times)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

The Great Debate
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:15:59 AM »
OK, this should spark some conversation.....

What is "gospel" music and "gospel" guitar playing??

I know there are A LOT of strong opinions on this, so let's talk about it. PLEASE try to remain respectful of everyone, no matter their view point. It's ok to be strong in what you believe, but please try to handle it the right way. Also, please try to back up any thing you are throwing out as a FACT with some info or evidence. I respect everyone's opinion, no matter how much I may disagree. I CANNOT respect someone who spews his opinions as unquestionable fact.

I think this will be challenging, informative and enjoyable...so who's first??

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

Re: The Great Debate
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:09 PM »
ahem...gospel guitar is guitar played in gospel music  ;D

Gospel is spreading the good news of the Lord, and gospel guitar just helps in spreading the good news.

I dunno but that's how I think about some things...simple.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »
well of course gib...there just seem to be some very strong opinions around here as to what exactly gospel music is, and more specifically what gospel guitar playing is, and therefore what is relevant otour discussions around here. just trying to start some dialogue.

since when have you been so PC??  ;D

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
lot's of views....not much talking....what's up?!?!?

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »
well of course gib...there just seem to be some very strong opinions around here as to what exactly gospel music is, and more specifically what gospel guitar playing is, and therefore what is relevant otour discussions around here. just trying to start some dialogue.

since when have you been so PC??  ;D

I dunno what PC is  :D, but I have came to the conclusion that gospel music is any music that delivers the good news of Christ and moves you.  For some people the drums will get them moving, others a guitar solo.

That's how I think about it though.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:46:30 AM »
PC = Politically Correct,  ;)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
lot's of views....not much talking....what's up?!?!?
I never knew this was a topic on this site.May have been,i am not aware of it.Are you sure you got the right site? :)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
I never knew this was a topic on this site.May have been,i am not aware of it.Are you sure you got the right site? :)

quite certain...and the topic is only going to get more relevant in the future...

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 08:11:24 PM »
lol...this thread is an utter failure...

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »
Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread up!

I think that gospel guitar is all styles of guitar played to gospel music. There really is no such genre as "gospel guitar". In mainstream there is Rock, jazz, country, rockabilly, blues, and several other styles of guitar music, but gospel is not one of them. When we listen to gospel music, we say, "oh, that's Little Wing", or, "that's a little Prince mixed with some Buddy guy". We never say that is CCM style playing or black gospel guitar. It is usually classified as "secular" styles in a gospel context. I think the onliest exception is in Southerm Quartet style. That is why it is so hard to be a gospel guirtarist and only listen to gospel music.

That's my two cents! >:(
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline SanctifiedGuitar

• LGM Member
  • Live a sanctified and holy life.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
Gospel music/ gospel guitar

God is the creator of music.  Lucifer was the chief (Archangel) musician.  He was cast down because of his pride along with a third of heaven's angelic hosts because they followed Lucifer, and not God.

Now every born again believer has the opportuinity to fill the void.

Gospel music is music that glorifies God.  Gospel guitar is guitar music that glorifies God.

Music Theory is from God.  Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc. is not original music.  Man has no knowledge, except what comes from God.  Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  Music is a gift from God, and it was meant to glorify God.
Have you been baptized in Jesus' name and received the Holy Ghost?
(Acts 2:37,38 and 19:1-7)

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:28:43 PM »
Gospel music/ gospel guitar

God is the creator of music.  Lucifer was the chief (Archangel) musician.  He was cast down because of his pride along with a third of heaven's angelic hosts because they followed Lucifer, and not God.

Now every born again believer has the opportuinity to fill the void. AMEN ;D  What the name of the chruch you pastor :)

Gospel music is music that glorifies God.  Gospel guitar is guitar music that glorifies God.

Music Theory is from God.  Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc. is not original music.  Man has no knowledge, except what comes from God.  Every good and perfect gift comes from God.  Music is a gift from God, and it was meant to glorify God.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
 As far as style goes, I think their is a distinct difference between the different genres of music, including gospel guitar. Im taking lessons from an alternative guitar player now and I am pretty sure that he would not be able to play at one of my church services unless we are doing a ccm song. Also, if a jazz guitarist and a gospel guitarist were to switch gigs for an evening, both would probably have trouble adapting.   

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
As far as style goes, I think their is a distinct difference between the different genres of music, including gospel guitar. Im taking lessons from an alternative guitar player now and I am pretty sure that he would not be able to play at one of my church services unless we are doing a ccm song. Also, if a jazz guitarist and a gospel guitarist were to switch gigs for an evening, both would probably have trouble adapting.   

i guess this is what i was aiming for....stylistically, what is goespel guitar, really??

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
i guess this is what i was aiming for....stylistically, what is goespel guitar, really??

My opinion is that stylistically, most gospel songs have the guitar as a filler instrument.  So you kinda have to be fast. "get in and get out" is what one keyboard player told me. 

Actually I think in most traditional songs, FUNK helps out alot.  Rock and blues help with soloing.  I kinda like metal in there too.

so here's my heirarchy:

Funk
Blues
Rock
Metal

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 01:36:15 AM »
i just think there is a very narrow view of what it is to play guitar in "black gospel" music, and that as styles become more intertwined, a guitarist will need to be much more well-rounded that what is typically called for. as the guitar becomes more and more prominent, guys won't be able to hide behind a wah-wah and some minor pentatonic licks. i just wanted to have some dialogue on the subject....

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:12 AM »
i just think there is a very narrow view of what it is to play guitar in "black gospel" music, and that as styles become more intertwined, a guitarist will need to be much more well-rounded that what is typically called for. as the guitar becomes more and more prominent, guys won't be able to hide behind a wah-wah and some minor pentatonic licks. i just wanted to have some dialogue on the subject....

You're getting too close to home, now!!!  >:( >:( ;D
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »
You're getting too close to home, now!!!  >:( >:( ;D

it's tight but it's right!! lol

;D

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »
it's tight but it's right!! lol

;D

You are right...that's why I listen to alot of different music.

These Prince licks won't be able to save me all the time!  :D

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »
You are right...that's why I listen to alot of different music.

These Prince licks won't be able to save me all the time!  :D

truf right derrrr
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up