LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone else have this problem?  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

Re: Does anyone else have this problem?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
Come on!!  Just play the song!!

Offline chosenandcalled

• LGM Member
  • I John 4:16- He that dwelleth in love...

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
If you have good musicians, they should be able to play the music. So when you get spare time, just rehearse over all the songs that your choir sings. Just prepare yourself. You gotta take yourself and go through the songs and go back and remember how you got to that point. It is good to play bumpin songs, but you should go back and just refresh yourself because a musician is a job for the Lord. You have to prepare yourself.
Chosenandcalled

many are called but few are CHOSEN......

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Another problem I have... (with another choir)

...is when rehearsal is scheduled and hardly anyone shows up! >:( Then when you practice a song with a lead singer and on Sunday, the leader doesn't show up! Then once again we are sort of put on the spot to play another song that you haven't rehearsed!
Big time cosign!!!!
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
Another problem I have... (with another choir)

...is when rehearsal is scheduled and hardly anyone shows up! >:( Then when you practice a song with a lead singer and on Sunday, the leader doesn't show up! Then once again we are sort of put on the spot to play another song that you haven't rehearsed!

That problem is easily remedied by practicing more than enough songs to compensate for any last minute changes on Sundays.  ;)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 07:32:45 PM »
>:( Then when you practice a song with a lead singer and on Sunday, the leader doesn't show up! Then once again we are sort of put on the spot to play another song that you haven't rehearsed!

That happened to me this week. The Band practice 2 songs for like and hour and a half on saturday, they were instrumentals that the guitar player was gonna lead on. So sunday comes around and dude says he's not coming because he's tired. We ended up not doing the songs and wasting half of my only day off

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
That happened to me this week. The Band practice 2 songs for like and hour and a half on saturday, they were instrumentals that the guitar player was gonna lead on. So sunday comes around and dude says he's not coming because he's tired. We ended up not doing the songs and wasting half of my only day off
How could they be so...*echoes*Heartless?

Yeah we just practiced Donald Lawrence's "Seasons" and we had it down. Everyone was together on it and the choir sounded great. Mind you, it was the only thing I had practiced for that last week and a half. Sunday rolls along, and the leader doesn't show up! I was devastated. I wasn't into the rest of the service! >:(
Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
I was told to learn, "God Kept Me" by Kurt Carr on the bass.  They let me borrow a bass and everything.  Sunday rolls around and they play it 100% different than the version on the recording because (apparently) no body else bothered to listen to the song so they just winged it.  >:(

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 01:18:50 AM »
True. Seems every other song has to be transposed down to fit the singers' range...

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
True. Seems every other song has to be transposed down to fit the singers' range...

I hate that because its sort of more work on the musicians. They have to learn the song, then they have to transpose it down to the singer's key. Unless they change the key on their computers but not everyone knows how to do that...

I might just start to demand that they sing it in the original key or don't sing it at all. Is that selfish?

I was told to learn, "God Kept Me" by Kurt Carr on the bass.  They let me borrow a bass and everything.  Sunday rolls around and they play it 100% different than the version on the recording because (apparently) no body else bothered to listen to the song so they just winged it.  >:(

Oooh thats another one. My bass player has been playing for like 19 more years than I've been playing keys. He should be beasty, right?.  :-\Eh, not so much. I still tell him his bass line. The other thing, the songs that they sang before I started playing, I had to go back and learn. Turns out my bass player was playing most of the songs horribly wrong. For me, its kinda hard to play and call out numbers, then realize he doesn't understand, then have to call out notes! Its really frustrating knowing that I have to figure out the bass licks and the piano licks and I only play one instrument. :-\

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
I might just start to demand that they sing it in the original key or don't sing it at all. Is that selfish?

Well, I see the point of transposing if the song is ridiculously high or low.
But sometimes it's just sheer laziness, or the desire to keep in the congregation's 'range'. Trouble is, a lot of current Gospel songs have really low verses, then shoot up high for the chorus parts...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 06:32:15 AM »
I hate that because its sort of more work on the musicians. They have to learn the song, then they have to transpose it down to the singer's key. Unless they change the key on their computers but not everyone knows how to do that...

Oooh thats another one. My bass player has been playing for like 19 more years than I've been playing keys. He should be beasty, right?.  :-\Eh, not so much. I still tell him his bass line. The other thing, the songs that they sang before I started playing, I had to go back and learn. Turns out my bass player was playing most of the songs horribly wrong. For me, its kinda hard to play and call out numbers, then realize he doesn't understand, then have to call out notes! Its really frustrating knowing that I have to figure out the bass licks and the piano licks and I only play one instrument. :-\

A little bit, yes. A singer only has so far they can go in either direction (high or low). An instrument doesn't have that limitation.

It sounds to me like you have an opportunity to increase your skill set as a musician OR you could continue to be upset by your current situation. *shrugs*

Last night, I had to explain to the praise team that Donnie McClurkin's 'Victory Chant' has harmony through most of the song.

The lead singer's reaction ------> ?/? :-\ :o

I had to explain to her that it, in NO way, effected her.

The lead singer's reaction ------?  ?/? :-\ :o

It was quite comical. But, we got through it.

You can get through this, too.  ;) 8)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 04:09:06 PM »
A little bit, yes. A singer only has so far they can go in either direction (high or low). An instrument doesn't have that limitation.

It sounds to me like you have an opportunity to increase your skill set as a musician OR you could continue to be upset by your current situation. *shrugs*

Last night, I had to explain to the praise team that Donnie McClurkin's 'Victory Chant' has harmony through most of the song.

The lead singer's reaction ------> ?/? :-\ :o

I had to explain to her that it, in NO way, effected her.

The lead singer's reaction ------?  ?/? :-\ :o

It was quite comical. But, we got through it.

You can get through this, too.  ;) 8)
I guess I'll run on to see what the end gon' be. :D

Our church went out last Sunday and us musicians tore it up. They had an organ player(only) that played with us. Then we started our shouting music and he had that same look SJon -----  ?/? :-\ :o

It was crazy! Shouting is really the reason I play keyz 'cause thats when I can be creative. Its our band's strong point.

The only thing that messes with me is the actual songs. Really, its not the musicians. We always get our part. Its just the Unity with the choir that needs to be worked on.

Let me ask this, Should the musicians be responsible for choosing the songs the choirs need to sing?, or should the musicians just follow the direction of the director and let he/she choose?

Personally, I believe the musicians are there to deliver good sounds along with the lead singer who is relaying the message of the song.

I just wanted ev'rybody's opinion...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 05:00:15 PM »
Let me ask this, Should the musicians be responsible for choosing the songs the choirs need to sing?, or should the musicians just follow the direction of the director and let he/she choose?

Personally, I believe the musicians are there to deliver good sounds along with the lead singer who is relaying the message of the song.

Its the MOM's job to designate someone to choose the songs, whether it be the Choir Director or the musicians.

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
Very true. But, most of the time I am overridden by the choir director. Just odd...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 12:34:17 PM »
Very true. But, most of the time I am overridden by the choir director. Just odd...

Not odd; you're the MUSICIAN; you are the FOLLOWER of the choir director or MOM.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
I guess I'll run on to see what the end gon' be. :D

Our church went out last Sunday and us musicians tore it up. They had an organ player(only) that played with us. Then we started our shouting music and he had that same look SJon -----  ?/? :-\ :o

It was crazy! Shouting is really the reason I play keyz 'cause thats when I can be creative. Its our band's strong point.

The only thing that messes with me is the actual songs. Really, its not the musicians. We always get our part. Its just the Unity with the choir that needs to be worked on.

I'm really bothered by that statement.  :(

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
I'm really bothered by that statement.  :(
What I meant was that because my church shouts so much, I like playing piano/keyboard because its a time where I can be creative with my music.
Not odd; you're the MUSICIAN; you are the FOLLOWER of the choir director or MOM.
Very true. But who has a higher position? Choir Director or MOM? Being the MOM myself, I feel like I am overridden by the choir director. I was told(by the pastor) to oversee the whole music department, I just assumed that meant the choirs as well. I talk to the choir director about songs that I want the choir to attempt, and she nods/responds ok. But, at rehearsal, nothing is done about my suggestions. :-\

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »
Very true. But who has a higher position? Choir Director or MOM? Being the MOM myself, I feel like I am overridden by the choir director. I was told(by the pastor) to oversee the whole music department, I just assumed that meant the choirs as well. I talk to the choir director about songs that I want the choir to attempt, and she nods/responds ok. But, at rehearsal, nothing is done about my suggestions. :-\

Completely different scenario, then. As the MOM, you can make suggestions. At the same time, you shouldn't have to 'micro-manage' the choir; that's why you have a choir director.

I'd suggest having a meeting with the pastor and the choir director and air out any grievances so that everyone can get on the same page.

If it continues after that, then it's time to look for a new choir director or take over the responsibilities yourself.

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »
Completely different scenario, then. As the MOM, you can make suggestions. At the same time, you shouldn't have to 'micro-manage' the choir; that's why you have a choir director.

I'd suggest having a meeting with the pastor and the choir director and air out any grievances so that everyone can get on the same page.

If it continues after that, then it's time to look for a new choir director or take over the responsibilities yourself.
That is a very good idea. I'll probably talk to the pastor this coming sunday. Thank SJon

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »
That is a very good idea. I'll probably talk to the pastor this coming sunday. Thank SJon

Anytime.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up