LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contracts  (Read 2895 times)

Offline deek

• LGM Member

Contracts
« on: November 29, 2004, 04:34:04 PM »
Are most of you who are Ministers of Music of your church utilizing a contract?  I have been playing for over 20 years and have never signed a contract.  In my adult years of playing, I have only played for two churches and have recently been asked to enter into a contract.  Is this a good thing?  Also, what should I include in the agreement.  I usually pay for all of my music, I accept no additional pay for travel or additional engagements.  Please help!  I have always allowed the church to set my salary based upon what God lays upon their hearts.  Of course, most of you know that ends up not being very much at all!  This church is really pressing me to enter into a "K".  I don't like being pressured.  I've only been there a little over two months and God is already doing great things.  They are excited and the congregation as well as the choirs have already more than doubled.  I really don't feel comfortable with a contract, however, I'm not totally opposed.  I just don't want to enter into an agreement that's not going to be legitimate.  They presented me with a little one paragraph that states a salary but does not include any expenses at all.  HELP!

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

Contract for Ministers of Music
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 09:14:53 PM »
Since you have to sign a contract, I would first figure out some boundaries.  It is possible that they will expect more of you because you are a contracted worker for the church.  So I would
1)  Make a list of all the things you currently do as Minister of Music (M.o.M.).  This should include all physical and  finanical contributions.  Let me preface this by saying I recognize that everything you are doing, you do for God, but since you have to sign a contract you don't want to be unfair to yourself or put yourself in a uncomfortable position.  
So in essence you are defining the role and responsibility of  the M.o.M at your church.
2) Separate the list into items/time you feel you should be compensated for and items/time you feel are voluntary.
3) Go online, and find information on salaries of M.o.M.s.  You can go to websites like church associations, and they will typically post various salaries of church positions.  
4)Make a draft of a contract you would feel comfortable signing.  I think there is an advantage to you signing a contract (and being able to play an active role in creating the contract).  Think about making the contract, say a 1 or 2 year contract.  This will give you time to define your role and responsibility, and receive feedback on whether it is acceptable to the church (and yourself as well).  
Specify  (from your previous lists) roles/responsibilities that you feel are appropriate for
a) your church
b) your financial compensation
c) most importantly, the spiritual growth of the music mininstry.  

I am not a M.o.M, but in general I think you need to think about what's benificial for you and the church and  what's acceptible to God.  
Do not slight yourself because you've been made to feel spiritually guilty about your contractual requests.  Ask for God's guidance in completing this process,  and the needs of the music ministry will be met and  you will have the proper resources needed to be an effective, spirit filled M.o.M.  
God Bless you  :wink: and I hope this helps.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Contracts
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:27:29 PM »
I wouldnt sign a contract personally. I think its a bad idea partly because you could never know how God may want to use you in the future and signing a contact means you are bound. You should consider setting a certain salary or stipend for Sundays or special engagments. I think you will be much happier in the long run. I know a guy who says he signed a 10 year contract with a church. What happens if he out grows the church or they refuse to grow any more.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up