LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hadrien Feraud  (Read 8692 times)

Offline jacogroove

• LGM Member

Re: Hadrien Feraud
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »
when I say "africa is missing in his playing" I mean the soul and to a certain extent, the rythm.
when he plays it's really straight (16th notes sometimes 32nd notes...).
As I said I don't want to diss him, he's is a great player and a nice guy.
But listen to etienne mbappe , listen him taking solos and grooving and you will understand what I mean.
Etienne can playstuff like that, Michel alibo too.
Maybe not as fast sometimes, but fast anyway!
it's not how fast, it's all in the message.
when I listen to Jaco pastorius, I hear soul music too!
Hope you understand.
don't hesitate to ask you you want explanations.

Offline teebassist

• LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »
 On "Djou Djou/Sixun" Michel Alibo reminds me of Standley clarke about thirty years ago. Very clean  bassist 

Etienne Mbappe is very good too. I really enjoyed this post, all of it. ;)I have never seen anyone play with gloves on like that.
1 Corinthians 15:51

Offline ssab

• LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
GLOVES??? REALLY?! ?/?

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 06:45:52 AM »
 My son tried to hip to this brother,and it was cool for a bit,but after the 1st track I heard I was pretty much done with it,but thats no slight against him because I don't care to listen to a whole lot of Stanley,Victor, Jaco John Pattitucci,Jonas Helborg,Brian Bromberg John Myung and a few others as soloist,however I can listen to Willie Weeks,Robin Duhe,Verdin White,Bobby Watson and Verdine White, Ronald Wilson,William Murphy for days,because it's just cold hard grooving.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 09:19:19 AM »
My son tried to hip to this brother,and it was cool for a bit,but after the 1st track I heard I was pretty much done with it,but thats no slight against him because I don't care to listen to a whole lot of Stanley,Victor, Jaco John Pattitucci,Jonas Helborg,Brian Bromberg John Myung and a few others as soloist,however I can listen to Willie Weeks,Robin Duhe,Verdin White,Bobby Watson and Verdine White, Ronald Wilson,William Murphy for days,because it's just cold hard grooving.

same here.  Something about the music that makes you move that makes it to where you can't get enough of it.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »
This is about the closest I've come to hearing this guy play a "solid" groove.....meh, not really my cup of tea but he's got some great chops and I won't lie, I'm gonna take some of those chords lol

But I wouldn't say "groove" is his forte.

Be Blessed,
J

Offline trsmooth

• LGM Member

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »
This is about the closest I've come to hearing this guy play a "solid" groove.....meh, not really my cup of tea but he's got some great chops and I won't lie, I'm gonna take some of those chords lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hfnGCRQJv4&feature=related

Be Blessed,
J

hey everybody...ive been following this thread for a bit and see alot of you guys disagree and not feeling his style with his style. i just want to add that in the world of music, theres more to it than just the a common 4/4 groove....in this video the drummer is playing in a whole different time signature. in my opinion,he did his thing holding it down and filling it in.....in gospel, we tend to play in the common time signatures. i like watching stuff like this cause it opens my mind up to more then just the "norm"...

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hfnGCRQJv4&feature=related

Be Blessed,
J

Hadrien killed that joint. Your typical church cat probably would not have chosen that filthy chord placement... NICE!

God bless

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 09:44:37 AM »

hey everybody...ive been following this thread for a bit and see alot of you guys disagree and not feeling his style with his style. i just want to add that in the world of music, theres more to it than just the a common 4/4 groove....in this video the drummer is playing in a whole different time signature. in my opinion,he did his thing holding it down and filling it in.....in gospel, we tend to play in the common time signatures. i like watching stuff like this cause it opens my mind up to more then just the "norm"...

Quote from: fLaT-fIfTh
Hadrien killed that joint. Your typical church cat probably would not have chosen that filthy chord placement... NICE!

God bless

Oh I agree with both of you.  Everything has it's time and place....in a gospel setting, I think his style of playing would clash and sound out of place but for the music he's doing, it works well so more power to him!

Sorry if my previous post came across as a bash in any way. I watched/listened to a few of his vids and got some stuff that I could use along with some stuff that I couldn't. Diversity is a wonderful two-edged sword lol

It would be like having Buddy Rich backing the Clark Sisters...could he do it? Sure, but IMO his particular style would clash in that genre.

Be Blessed,
J

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
I have to say, after watching several of his videos, I agree with the general consensus.  It seems like he doesn't really have much to say.  It sounds like a bunch of exercises pieced together.  I can see how people can be wowed by his technique (especially if they can't do it themselves) but, music is about more than just technique. 

Maybe, if I hear him in a different context (like playing through some changes or some more melodic playing or some straight groove playing) I could enjoy it a little more.  But, to be honest, it sounds like the kind of exercises that we do when we're warming up (almost like a drummer who sits down and do a bunch of fast fills and rolls).  It sounds impressive to somebody who can't do it but, everybody is not gonna be wowed by it.  JMO.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up